Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandertramp

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
i just saw some fake Defenders at the mall. Well I think they are fake as the guy for one has no real box for it (comes in plastic bag). He wants $55 for them but will give me a deal at $45. :confused:

I knew those looked familiar... (Just looked again, not EXACTLY the same, but im 100% sure I have seen that case on eBay for under 5 dollars, all the other cases however are from the same seller)

Also I can recognize almost all of those cases on that shelf being sold on eBay from the same seller. Most are under 3 dollars.

solius

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Decatur AL
Well I have some bad news. I have a full zagg body shield along with some side protection. The side protection doesn't seem to be an issue but the zagg shield will not allow my phone to slide into the front portion of the otterbox :mad:. I'm guessing its because of the tackiness of the zagg shields. I guess I'll have to look for a Power support full body and take my zagg off. Just a warning for others.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Not sure if I maybe streched my case when I put the silicone on or not or its just the way the case is. But when I put the case in my pocket and pull it out part of the silicone case always comes out and I have to press it back on. Should I contact Otterbox to have them send me a replacement? Thanks.

From my experience, the blue Defender silicone is very prone to stretching completely out of shape. I'm on my 3rd replacement blue silicone from Otterbox, and it's also starting to stretch to the point that it's not even remotely tight against the black plastic interior case. Conversely, my black Defender hasn't stretched at all, and the silicone feels much "springier" and fits very tight against the inner case. It's gotten to the point that I just have to email Chris at Otterbox and out comes a new blue silicone outer layer.

phillydude411

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Not sure if anyone else has this problem with the defender, but the bottom silicon port cover just won't stay in. I keep pushing it in, and it will pop out within a few minutes. Anyone else having this problem or is it just mine?
Not sure if I should contact otterbox... :(

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
You have to push it in.

The main issue I had was I had to remove front and back Zagg shields so iPhone would fit into defender.

Saw a video from Larry Greenberg and I believe he uses clear coat and it fit into the defender.

I like the iPhone 4 defender very much.

Marc

NYDiplomat

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
You have to push it in.

The main issue I had was I had to remove front and back Zagg shields so iPhone would fit into defender.

Saw a video from Larry Greenberg and I believe he uses clear coat and it fit into the defender.

I like the iPhone 4 defender very much.

Marc

Mine does that in the mourning when I take it off the charger. I just push it in there and hold it for a min and its all good for the rest of the day.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I work outside and love this case.

What do you think of the idea of having a removable covering for the back camera and flash?

Since I work outside I think that might be a good idea.

Marc

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Loose Silicon skin

For those of you with a loose or ill-fitting silicon cover, contact Otterbox and get a new one. I got one of the first Defender cases directly from Otterbox, and the silicon skin was loose in one corner, and started getting looser over time generally. They sent me a new one promptly, and it's much better. Based on the problems these case companies seem to be having with quality control (check out the Pixelskin HD thread), really makes you hope that things eventually settle down for them. Must be expensive sending out replacement parts; on the other hand, I have no illusions that the case probably cost $1 to make.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Hi although I love the defender I just returned it cause I want to be able to use my Zagg shield.

I'm looking into the seidio rugged.

Marc

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I like the Otterbox case but wish it was waterproof and didn't have a window showing the Apple logo on the back. That window reduces the 2 layers of plastic and rubber protection, down to 1 layer of clear film.

cowsrus

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
Quick question to those who have gotten replacement silicone. I emails otterbox and they said just send picture of the issue, name and address blah blah. When they send the silicone do I send my damaged silicone back or do you get to keep it as a spare? I'd assume send it back but it seems like it's go to waste that way

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I work outside and love this case.

What do you think of the idea of having a removable covering for the back camera and flash?

Since I work outside I think that might be a good idea.

Marc

I love my OtterBox Defender but that's one thing I wish they would've done instead of leaving the camera exposed at all times.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
That is a great idea! I hope Otterbox is listening, because what's the point of having a huge protective case if it leaves areas on the iPhone 4 exposed.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Quick question to those who have gotten replacement silicone. I emails otterbox and they said just send picture of the issue, name and address blah blah. When they send the silicone do I send my damaged silicone back or do you get to keep it as a spare? I'd assume send it back but it seems like it's go to waste that way

You keep the defective silicone. They have no use for it. It's not like it can be reused. I have received 3 replacement blue silicones now, and the 3 bad ones are in my case drawer. I wish they'd just fix the darn colored silicones where I'm not having to het a replacement every 10-14 days!

Yep that's why I returned it and looking into the seidio rugged.

Marc

I'll have my Seidio Rugged in just a little bit (scheduled for delivery today), and I'll report on how it compares to the Defender later today. I think it's going to be better, as it fits over the Seidio Innocase, giving you a choice of going with a slim case (the Innocase), or the full protection of the Rugged when you need it, all while keeping the same base case (Innocase) on your phone.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
You keep the defective silicone. They have no use for it. It's not like it can be reused. I have received 3 replacement blue silicones now, and the 3 bad ones are in my case drawer. I wish they'd just fix the darn colored silicones where I'm not having to het a replacement every 10-14 days!

I'll have my Seidio Rugged in just a little bit (scheduled for delivery today), and I'll report on how it compares to the Defender later today. I think it's going to be better, as it fits over the Seidio Innocase, giving you a choice of going with a slim case (the Innocase), or the full protection of the Rugged when you need it, all while keeping the same base case (Innocase) on your phone.

From the looks of the pictures, there isn't any videos out yet on seidio rugged for iPhone 4, it appears possibly not as good protection as the defender. The defender to me is a great case offering over load protection.

I just need good protection on my job from bumps and rubbing against objects. I can count how many times I dropped my iPhone so I'm not worried about drops. I'm more concerned about protection if the back camera and flash if I bump or rub against and object.

I also like the fact that when I'm in my street clothes the seidio rugged can be easily removed for normal street wear.

Can't wait to read your review. If possible can you video the case with your iPhone?

Marc

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
From the looks of the pictures, there isn't any videos out yet on seidio rugged for iPhone 4, it appears possibly not as good protection as the defender. The defender to me is a great case offering over load protection.

I just need good protection on my job from bumps and rubbing against objects. I can count how many times I dropped my iPhone so I'm not worried about drops. I'm more concerned about protection if the back camera and flash if I bump or rub against and object.

I also like the fact that when I'm in my street clothes the seidio rugged can be easily removed for normal street wear.

Can't wait to read your review. If possible can you video the case with your iPhone?

Marc

Just posted a review of my Rugged add-on pack for the Innocase for iPhone 4 here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11035394#post11035394

chrisc983

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Just in case anyone was looking for a car mount for their Otterbox Defender I found this youtube vid where a guys uses a Garmin mount and uses the Defender clip to clip into the garmin mount to hold the Defender case. Check out the vid to see what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_N_iVkXoHk I tested it so far it works pretty good.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Privacy screen and otterbox

Does anyone know if there are any (good) privacy screens that work well with the otter box for the iPhone 4?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
From my experience, the blue Defender silicone is very prone to stretching completely out of shape. I'm on my 3rd replacement blue silicone from Otterbox, and it's also starting to stretch to the point that it's not even remotely tight against the black plastic interior case. Conversely, my black Defender hasn't stretched at all, and the silicone feels much "springier" and fits very tight against the inner case. It's gotten to the point that I just have to email Chris at Otterbox and out comes a new blue silicone outer layer.

I haven't experienced this with my blue Defender. Hopefully I won't otherwise I will be contacting Otterbox for a replacement. Either that or I'll revert back to my black one.

AnDy2311

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Hi guys,

I am having problem with my order with otterbox. I did not receive any confirmation and yet my card still has been charged. Where can I seek help? Which email did you all go to that get fast response time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.