Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Do you guys have any feedback on the OtterBox Commuter or Impact models? They look pretty nice, and look to be a little less bulky.

My iPhone 4 is my first iPhone, and I am still trying to decide what to do case wise. The Defender gets great reviews, which is how I found this thread, but it may be a little overkill for my needs. I am just wondering if their smaller cases are as good.

I don't expect the same protection level from the smaller cases, but I'd mainly like to be able to toss the phone in my bag or pocket without worrying about scratches.

Thanks

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Do you guys have any feedback on the OtterBox Commuter or Impact models? They look pretty nice, and look to be a little less bulky.

My iPhone 4 is my first iPhone, and I am still trying to decide what to do case wise. The Defender gets great reviews, which is how I found this thread, but it may be a little overkill for my needs. I am just wondering if their smaller cases are as good.

I don't expect the same protection level from the smaller cases, but I'd mainly like to be able to toss the phone in my bag or pocket without worrying about scratches.

Thanks

A smaller case would probably be better for your needs then.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
People moan and groan about everything on here "it's bulky", "will it still fit in a vault at night" lol. I just got mine in today and it I'd great. Not too bulky but you know your 4 is safe. Being that I am a LEO, I need a case that can take a beating. I'm sure this case is it. Thank you Otterbox for making this nice case.

Kayzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
This so the ugliest, bulkiest case I've ever seen. I have always been one to go with a case but if you are paranoid enough to put this plastic brick on your phone you've got problems

thaddeusbear

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
This so the ugliest, bulkiest case I've ever seen. I have always been one to go with a case but if you are paranoid enough to put this plastic brick on your phone you've got problems

I suppose obsessed high schoolers, mall rats, college kids, office/retail workers, or some guy with lots of disposable income won't need it.

Police, EMS, construction workers, military, plumbers, electricians, park rangers would beg to differ. Would you call these people paranoid?

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
People moan and groan about everything on here "it's bulky", "will it still fit in a vault at night" lol. I just got mine in today and it I'd great. Not too bulky but you know your 4 is safe. Being that I am a LEO, I need a case that can take a beating. I'm sure this case is it. Thank you Otterbox for making this nice case.

Sorry but what does the month you were born in have anything to do with what cell phone case you get? People are so odd sometimes.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Picked one up at BB. Gonna hold onto it until another case arrives, but I am not enjoying it. It barely seems like an iPhone to me anymore.

CT1stMaxedOut09

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Connecticut

How do you find the fitting on your duty belt (I assume that is where you keep yours). I am a security officer at a hospital and the clip dosn't seem to fit correctly and doesn't make for a good secure fit.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

I love the protection... but want the ease of use....

jp93

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I suppose obsessed high schoolers, mall rats, college kids, office/retail workers, or some guy with lots of disposable income won't need it.

Police, EMS, construction workers, military, plumbers, electricians, park rangers would beg to differ. Would you call these people paranoid?

I'm a high schooler, though I wouldn't consider myself obsessed. I am going to purchase this case because I play varsity baseball. With practices everyday I need a case that allows me to just throw my phone in my bag with all my ewuiptment. This case is perfect for that. Plus, running around school in between classes, lunch, people aren't too careful. I can't count on 5 sets of hands and feet the amount of times someone bumps into me in a single school day.

Ryvius819

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone know when will the blue one be on sale online? I emailed otterbox a few days ago and still haven't heard from them. It would be even better if someone know where to get them in Canada. The prices on ebay are way too high.

thaddeusbear

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I'm a high schooler, though I wouldn't consider myself obsessed. I am going to purchase this case because I play varsity baseball. With practices everyday I need a case that allows me to just throw my phone in my bag with all my ewuiptment. This case is perfect for that. Plus, running around school in between classes, lunch, people aren't too careful. I can't count on 5 sets of hands and feet the amount of times someone bumps into me in a single school day.

Gotcha high school student! Did you know that some people think you're nuts for putting your glorious iphone in an otterbox?

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Anyone know when will the blue one be on sale online? I emailed otterbox a few days ago and still haven't heard from them. It would be even better if someone know where to get them in Canada. The prices on ebay are way too high.

The prices I see online are pretty consistent everywhere (including ebay). If someone stocks them in Canada, they will likely be the same price. They are an expensive case.

jp93

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Gotcha high school student! Did you know that some people think you're nuts for putting your glorious iphone in an otterbox?

I assume you're older than me, and with that I say, do you know that people might think you're nuts as well?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I assume you're older than me, and with that I say, do you know that people might think you're nuts as well?

:cool: LOL

As an older guy here I see both sides of the coin there. The new iPhone 4 is really nice naked - made even nicer with custom skins from Zagg. But life gets in the way in the bumps in the road at times.

As I mentioned in an earlier post here, on day 1 of owning the Otterbox Defender I saw in just the first few hours of owning it just how well it it could protect my iPhone 4.

The only reason I waffle on keeping it is that I am falling for the camera and the apps like Hipstamtic and would like something that that I could slip the iPhone 4 into like the tripod mount (http://www.iphone-tripodholder.com/) or some of the car mount adapters since I have found MotionX GPS better to use than my dedicated GPS unit.

Add to that I have lived with a lower right cracked screen edge on my first iPhone from 3 years ago due to a bad case design. Like the total protection that the Otterbox Defender gives. With the ports and buttons covered I don't have to worry about wearing my iPhone 4 on my hip dashing out when it is raining and an errant raindrop telling Apple that I got my iPhone 4 "wet". LOL

So that is my love/hate relationship so far with the Otterbox Defender.... :)

Ryvius819

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
The prices I see online are pretty consistent everywhere (including ebay). If someone stocks them in Canada, they will likely be the same price. They are an expensive case.

I know it's an expensive case, however, the prices for the red/blue ones are 50-100% higher than the black ones.

curmudgen

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
I went to local Best Buy in Destin, Florida today and got mine. If you owned the 3G case then you will be amazed how small this feels compared to it.

I do not have a skin on my phone, and the defender window is not watermarking for me at all. The holster is lightyears better than the one I had before.

Very solid feel and the display still looks great to my old eyes.

I was able to feel through the display case at the different textures of the colors. For sure for some reason the black has a slightly more tactile or tacky feeling surface than the colored ones. Not a lot more, but enough to tell a difference. Certainly both kinds felt fine, and one did not seem "bad" compared to the other.

The red color was a lighter red than I would have liked. More red-berry or red-orangy. Black was solid coloring.

I went with the blue due to it being a Duke Blue Devil blue!! Awesome.

I am a holster wearer and this one fits on the belt great. The swivel hook ratchets well with little give and stays in position well. The phone clicks into the holster solidly and does not give the slightest hint of the unstable hold the old holster had.

I am very satisfied with this defender.

thaddeusbear

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010

Ahhh youths. Not a slight young person, I posted in support. People use the otterbox for varied reasons. You believe the case protects your iphone from anguished high schoolers, hallway corners and basketballs. Others otterbox to protect it being bumped in crowded mall elevators. People have personal reasons to protect iphones. It's no one's business.

Me nuts? For what I do, people think I'm insane.

jp93

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Ahhh youths. Not a slight young person, I posted in support. People use the otterbox for varied reasons. You believe the case protects your iphone from anguished high schoolers, hallway corners and basketballs. Others otterbox to protect it being bumped in crowded mall elevators. People have personal reasons to protect iphones. It's no one's business.

Me nuts? For what I do, people think I'm insane.

Let me apologize then, I misunderstood your post. Are we still friends?

OT:
Great case, just bought the black at Best Buy. Got $10 off on an open box deal :cool:

Overall extremely satisfied. For $40, you can't beat an Otterbox Defender

Terdinus Asus

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Well my Defender paid for itself and a little more today.

Accidentally left the damn phone on the roof of my car today and drove off. Hear a loud thud. Phone hit the asphalt. The rubber layer of the Defender got some dents and peelings from the impact. Phone is perfectly OK. I expected at least something in the innards to come loose, but vigorous shaking of the phone yielded no rattle. So good shock absorption!

$300 saved.

However I do detect one flaw with the Otterbox. Had the silicone not been of the slick variety that it is, there would have been no fall to begin with.

A similar situation (yes, I'm an idiot whose hands are usually too full) took place with my iPhone 3G, but that was inside a DLO silicone case. It gripped the roof of my car the entire 50 MPH 15 minute drive home from work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.