Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Can someone please explain to me why smartphone users seem to want text-heavy plans rather than data? I just can't understand it!

I know right i got a smart plan one (I could afford it without contract)but I need data not texts right now i have 250 MB more then enough:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
And now it's showing simultaneously as "at depot" and "with courier". It looks like I'll be heading the the post office after work...

OK, this is ridiculous. The courier has lost my new phone; the post office says that the courier depot has it and the courier depot says that the post office has it. Meanwhile my old phone still doesn't work and 123 can only suggest leaving the battery out for five minutes. I also tried the local Telecom shop which refused to help on the basis that I didn't buy the phone there!

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
OK, this is ridiculous. The courier has lost my new phone; the post office says that the courier depot has it and the courier depot says that the post office has it. Meanwhile my old phone still doesn't work and 123 can only suggest leaving the battery out for five minutes. I also tried the local Telecom shop which refused to help on the basis that I didn't buy the phone there!

Man I really feel for you there careless idiot has the lost the phone:mad:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If there's been no news by the morning then I'm thinking of cancelling my order. I wonder how they'll take that :p

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
Has anyone been using their 4s enough to notice the data usage? I've seen a few threads pop up on the forum that suggest the update causes rapid consumption of data. Most of the people discussing it seem ok with the fact because they have unlimited data plans.. cool for them. But over here in the backwaters of life we pay through the freaking nose for data and I'm worried about unleashing mine (I have cellular data off while I figure things out)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mine finally turned up today! I'm still trying to get used to the power button being on the opposite side; I keep trying to press the headphone socket.

Regarding data, I've used 19.8 MB in 40 minutes but that included downloading a 10 MB app and trying out Siri.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is anyone else having trouble with the Weather app not finding their town? It used to work on my old iPod (OS 3.1) but no longer!

I've logged my own experience as a bug but I'm interested in hearing how widespread the issue is.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Is anyone else having trouble with the Weather app not finding their town? It used to work on my old iPod (OS 3.1) but no longer!

I've logged my own experience as a bug but I'm interested in hearing how widespread the issue is.

I've given up on weather apps. They are all American and if they do work in New Zealand they aren't accurate enough: I don't want the weather for Wellington if I live in the Wairarapa - Its a completely different climate.

Just go on the metservice mobile website. You also get severe weather warnings and road conditions as well as regular weather.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It used to be accurate enough for Whakatane so I think I'd be happy with it if it worked again!

Edit: Failing that, can I somehow swap the Weather app over to MetService? It doesn't seem to have a way to change the service that it uses but I'm still trying to remember how to find settings in iOS (there's no Menu key like there is in Android!)

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
It used to be accurate enough for Whakatane so I think I'd be happy with it if it worked again!

Edit: Failing that, can I somehow swap the Weather app over to MetService? It doesn't seem to have a way to change the service that it uses but I'm still trying to remember how to find settings in iOS (there's no Menu key like there is in Android!)

it seems to work for me perfectly am I missing some thing:confused:but then again I live in auckland so perhaps its more accurate:D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Has anyone been using their 4s enough to notice the data usage? I've seen a few threads pop up on the forum that suggest the update causes rapid consumption of data.

I've used 19.8 MB in 40 minutes but that included downloading a 10 MB app and trying out Siri.

Just an update now that I have a more "normal" usage pattern: Today I've used 2.5 MB, so it doesn't seem to be chewing through excess data. I have it switching to Wi-Fi when I'm at home, but it's using 3G at work.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
That is good to know, you can never really tell when people come running to the forums here to OMFG it's eating all my data!!!!!11!!!, whether maybe they're just getting carried away with the new toy and streaming too many funny videos on you tube and downloading too many new ringtones.

We go through over 40gb a month on our home plan, so I keep looking at mobile data plans and wondering how the hell I am going to make do with 250 mb. But I think most of our home traffic is due to eldest sons addiction to youtube burn out videos and youngest sons need to try all the new demos on ps3

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
That is good to know, you can never really tell when people come running to the forums here to OMFG it's eating all my data!!!!!11!!!, whether maybe they're just getting carried away with the new toy and streaming too many funny videos on you tube and downloading too many new ringtones.

We go through over 40gb a month on our home plan, so I keep looking at mobile data plans and wondering how the hell I am going to make do with 250 mb. But I think most of our home traffic is due to eldest sons addiction to youtube burn out videos and youngest sons need to try all the new demos on ps3

Yeah I agree with this 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.