Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
yeah, but it doesn't offer screen protection. I know from experience that my old phone tends to start dialing numbers when in my pocket, and my iPod touch also switches on certain apps etc while in my pocket. So I definitely want something that has a flip over screen cover to prevent pocket weirdness.. I still recall the 111 call I made from my pocket a few years ago and don't want to be doing that again. I also don't want to be accidentally firing up something that will eat into my data plan.

Also I don't really want anything that screams out look I have an iPhone! I got it as a tool to enhance my life, not make a fashion/status statement. A nice leather type wallet is much more discreet, though I don't mind a bit of gadget recognition by others who are in the know, you know the secret nod type thing.. "ahh you have a bookbook case, iPhone 4s in there? niceeeee"

So far I am looking at either a bookbook case or a sena one. The michael kors wallet is way too girly for me. Though I might just make my own, I'll have to dig out my leather later today and have a look at what skins I have on hand.

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I should've tried the local Telecom shop because then I'd probably have the phone by now! On the other hand, I've received my confirmation email from Telecom which states that I'll get the phone next week. My existing phone has also been swapped onto my new plan.

I pre-ordered a 64GB iPhone 4S last Wednesday through Telecom. I wanted to guarantee myself a phone because overseas they're having huge delays and are sold out in a lot of shops (the US in particular). When I saw how easy going the launch was in the shops, I wished I had just waited and I could been messing around with it all weekend.

The most frustrating thing is that Telecom hasn't sent a tracking number, just a vague '3-5 working days' confirmation email. Has anyone that pre-ordered with Telecom received theirs yet?

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
I wanted to guarantee myself a phone because overseas they're having huge delays and are sold out in a lot of shops

I pre ordered mine from Apple because of this too! but by saturday morning it still had not been charged to my account and the status was still showing as being able to cancel, so I did.

We went into the mall, I was expecting to see 'sorry sold out' signs at the telecom, there were maybe two customers in the shop loitering around a nokia phone stand. I asked at the counter, expecting to be told they were out and the guy asked me what size and what colour I wanted! I got two on saturday, one from telecom, one from noel leeming. I wonder if there will be issues with getting hold of them after the initial shipment has run out. Also as far as I have heard, no one that pre ordered via vodaphone, telecom or apple has had confirmation of their delivery.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Excellent. I'll continue not doing any work in anticipation.

Sounds like me! :)

Annoyingly, my old phone seems to have dropped off the network as it went to "emergency calls only" while I was in the middle of talking to someone! I can't imagine that it'd be too hard to wait until the customer turns on the new phone before disconnecting the old one...

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Sounds like me! :)

Annoyingly, my old phone seems to have dropped off the network as it went to "emergency calls only" while I was in the middle of talking to someone! I can't imagine that it'd be too hard to wait until the customer turns on the new phone before disconnecting the old one...

It just arrived, AND THEY SENT ME THE WRONG COLOUR!!!

I double-checked the confirmation and it was meant to be white, they sent me black. I am not impressed.

I haven't opened it yet, I'm going to see if I can swap it at a Telecom store.

edit: I can't swap it at a store. They will send a replacement, but can't say how long that will take.

edit 2: They eventually arranged for me to replace it at my local Telecom Store, but I have to wait for them to get more in stock. There are none of the same model in any other stores nearby. Good thing I pre-ordered...

Last edited:

MakX

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
A lot of people who pre-ordered through Telecom have had their existing SIMs disconnected from the network prematurely. I know someone who has been offline for 64 hours and counting and hasn't received his iPhone yet.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
Completely unrelated to iPhones really, but my daughter just emailed me from Vanuatu to gripe that her android phone decided to turn itself on and start looking for updates and international roaming data rates are $30 per mb O.O. She didn't tell me how much the damage was, hoping it is just the $30 that she mentioned in her email.

Is this something that an iPhone might do too? is the only way to prevent it happening to remove the sim card? Just wanted to check because she will be heading over to Australia with her iPhone at the end of the month, should she remove the NZ sim before she leaves the country?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Android has an option under Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Data roaming. By default this is turned off.

Since I don't have my iPhone yet I can't say whether there is anything similar, but I'd be surprised if there isn't.

samsandy

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
New Zealand
Should i buy a new iPhone 4s or just get a 2nd hand iPhone 4???

Should i get iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?
iPhone 4 16GB
2nd hand
$650
$20 a month plan
20min
1000 Texts
200MB of data

iPhone 4S
NEW
$650
$45 a month plan
100 Min
2500 Texts
250Mb data

I dont know if I should spend $45 a month on a plan.
Note all prices are NZD

is $45 to much a month for a plan???

Or is there anything else you would recommend ?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Personally I wouldn't pay $45 for 250 MB :eek:

Regarding my own saga, my old phone is still saying emergency only, but Telecom's system says that it's still connected :confused:

samsandy

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
New Zealand
Personally I wouldn't pay $45 for 250 MB :eek:

Regarding my own saga, my old phone is still saying emergency only, but Telecom's system says that it's still connected :confused:

That sucks try restarting the phone or something simple like that. Sometimes its simple thing cause the problem.

What plan would you go with for around $40

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've tried all that stuff, SIM in a different phone etc.

I'm on Telecom's Smartphone $40 plan which has 500 MB, 50 minutes and 300 texts. The phone subsidy is $350-$400.

samsandy

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
New Zealand
I've tried all that stuff, SIM in a different phone etc.

I'm on Telecom's Smartphone $40 plan which has 500 MB, 50 minutes and 300 texts. The phone subsidy is $350-$400.

If it had more texts i would go for that plan but sadly it doesnt :( what did telecom say when you called them?

wateron

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Coming to Australia (Sydney) & NZ end of January. Can I get a local sim in
Australia that also works in NZ? Want to test out the sim unlock on my Verizon 4S

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Should i buy a new iPhone 4s or just get a 2nd hand iPhone 4???

Should i get iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?
iPhone 4 16GB
2nd hand
$650
$20 a month plan
20min
1000 Texts
200MB of data

iPhone 4S
NEW
$650
$45 a month plan
100 Min
2500 Texts
250Mb data

I dont know if I should spend $45 a month on a plan.
Note all prices are NZD

is $45 to much a month for a plan???

Or is there anything else you would recommend ?

No just get the 4s because 45$ is actually cheap for what you are getting.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If your not a heavy data user or you've got WiFi access most of the time you can go on my plan which costs $19 and gets you 2600 texts, 30 mins calling and 50MB of data.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Can someone please explain to me why smartphone users seem to want text-heavy plans rather than data? I just can't understand it!

what did telecom say when you called them?

That my phone should be working, the SIM is still listed as connected, and to try leaving the battery out for 5 minutes (which didn't work).

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
Can someone please explain to me why smartphone users seem to want text-heavy plans rather than data? I just can't understand it!.

I probably won't be using many txts on mine. I've still not decided whether to get a plan or just stick with prepay data and separate prepay phone. Or which co to settle with. I'm thinking that my daughter and I will be making use of iMessage to communicate, or face time depending on what connection she is on in aussie.

I get so annoyed with my kids who seem to be able to manage to use five text messages to say what they could have done in one. Home lata, save me T?, swt, about 10, yep, k...

meanwhile hubby is in the background asking who that was, and for the life story. "who was that?, who is he out with, is he drinking?, he's not driving his car is he? what time is he going to be home, is he with larry?, is he avoiding town like I suggested? did he fill the car up and check the tires like I said?"

uh yes dear, I can get all that information from a single txt from our son...

"Home lata"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.