iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captain America, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Captain America macrumors 6502

So this might be a difficult question to answer, but I'm torn.

Should I go for the Galaxy S2, or preorder and wait out for the iPhone 4S?

I tried out the S2 a little bit, and that thing is quick, even in terms of network speed (which I'm thinking the iPhone 4s will be similar to). Problem is, I'm nowhere even close to what someone could consider *used* to an Android. I have no idea if I'd be able to have has much fun with it as I did with my recently sold iPhone 4.

So what's everyone's opinions? Pros, cons, etc? Thanks

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

iPhone 4S all the way. Design is superior. Software is superior.

3. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

A bit more detail would be appreciated

:D

And hopefully opinions from others.

4. curitibagarrett macrumors member

This is an iPhone forum. What answer are you expecting to here that most likely won't be biased towards the iPhone.

5. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    You're on a forum for discussing the iPhone. If anyone suggests a competitor, they're probably just an anti-Apple troll. Anyone who is ambivalent about it probably isn't reading all these threads, and everyone who has a genuine preference for something else is probably hanging out somewhere else on the internet.

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

go for the seamless user experience with iPhone.

:apple:

7. Zeonmx macrumors member

Anyone who suggests other phones other than iphone are trolls?

Kid, you need to go a bit more. Don't be butthurt over competitors.

8. menist, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

menist macrumors regular

menist

Apps Store -------> Android Market

Seriously, apps on the android market are garbage. But if you just like searching the web and watch flash videos, android is for you.

For me, I have a Samsung infuse and I miss all the ios apps/games, so I carry a ipod touch with me. It depends what you want and do on the phone.

9. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

the only thing I prefer about the s2 is the scren size. I prefer ios, better camera/video, better battery, more accessories/support and the feel of the iphone. The s2 obviously has some better specs (such as ram and whatnot) but I don't use my phone heavily enough to where ram makes much of a difference for me.

10. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Wrong. The day of the 4s announcement there was serious discussion about the Nexus Prime and other droids.

So I'm just trying to make the right decision here. Cast aside Apple fanboy-ishness, and give it to me straight.

11. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Anyone who comes to an Apple-specific site to and goes to their iPhone forum to promote competing cell phones is probably a troll, yes. For less biased results, from both sides, go to a more neutral phone site.

12. Zeonmx macrumors member

Nope. You fail.

13. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

I like this site. And it's only one of the two that I go to for iPhone related forums, the other being sinfuliphone, where I haven't posted yet. This one moves faster, so I figured I'd come here first.

14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

This is why I come here less and less. Not because of that, but because of posters like this ^.

*shakes head*

15. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

What are you planning on doing with the phone? I know that's a broad answer, but generally, is there an emphasis? media consumption? Productivity? Time management? Or just a bit of entertainment while using it to text and call?

These things are important (knowing what you want to do) before buying between the two; as they are both amazing phones.

Personally I stayed with Android for 2 years and just ordered the 4S this morning. Not due to the OS, but as a college student and owner of a MBP, I find Apple's products are centered more around productivity and efficiency.

Siri is important for me to be able to just talk and tell the phone what to do while I walk around on campus or leave classes. It's THE reason why I'm getting the 4S over an unlocked 4.

But yea, what are you planning on doing with the phone? Are you going to play a lot of games/watch a lot of video?

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Maybe I can help since I've had the S2 since May or so and I've ordered a 4S...

Hardware wise, the iPhone just feels like it is a much nicer phone. More premium. The S2, and really every Samsung smartphone, and a huge chunk of Android devices are made out of plastic, so while it doesn't feel flimsy, it doesn't feel as solid as the iPhone. I also prefer the weight of the iPhone, the S2 is light, but almost feels too light.

Also, and this is more of a problem with Android, but even with the very powerful processor, the S2 feels fast for the first little while then starts bogging down and now it doesn't feel as fluid as it was when I first got it. I might have to do a restore to get it back to where it was.

Screen - The SAMOLED Plus screen is definitely the winner as far as contrast goes, but along with that it does come with over saturated colors. Seems very forced and trying to make the picture nicer, but instead it exaggerates the colors. The IPS display gives more natural colors and offers more PPI so text is sharper, which is noticeable, but really depends on if it matters to you or not.

Web Browsing - The S2 does render faster than the 4, but obviously with the A5, the 4S should be just as quick or even quicker. Android still has a long way to go compared to iOS in the scrolling department. It still feels choppy.

For me, the things I mentioned along with missing the iPod app and Apple integration are the reasons I am going back to iPhone. I really did want a larger screen, but part of me is still a bit happy with the 3.5" because I have smaller hands and reaching across the 4.3" screen of the S2 with one hand gets a bit uncomfortable. I'm stoked to get my 4S next week! :D

Hope that helps.

18. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

The Galaxy S2 reminds me of something from the 1980's for some odd reason. Android...old and busted. iPhone...new hotness.

19. netslacker macrumors 6502

Ok, I'll bite... an honest answer:

I was on the fence with these two phones as well (4s v. s2) and I chose the 4s today, here's why:

First off, this only applies to my case, so my reasons are mine and may not apply to you or anyone else - but hey, these may spawn other thoughts for you:

I really wanted a bigger screen. Ugh, the puny 3.5" screen of the iPhone is almost an eyestrain to me. So screen size was a big push to the Galaxy S2. I also like android, although I've never used one extensively, I just like how it looks and feels on a device. I like active wallpaper and widgets, android is just cool while iOS is starting to feel stale. Well, that's pretty much the end of my list as to why I'd consider the s2 over iPhone.

Despite the above the iPhone 4s, in my case, just made more sense: I have hundreds of iOS apps already purchased - no need to re-buy any of them. I have iOS device chargers and cables all over the house between iPods and iPad and what not, so they are always accessible; my wife got a 4s so we can take advantage of FaceTime and iMessage which we will use a lot (this alone would keep me on iPhone); I have airport expresses providing whole home audio in my house - an iPHone only control and airplay function; yeah - iOS is kinda boring sometimes, but with iOS 5 I'm really hoping that changes; the screen size is mitigated by the fact it has retina display (at least this is what I'm telling myself). Finally, I have kids that I constantly take pictures and video of. It's not to say that my iPhone will replace any of my 4k in camera gear cause it will not, but in a pinch it's comforting to know that at least it's class-leading for a phone.

Voice control: All of my android friends say (and have shown me) that voice control on android doesn't cut it. Today's voice control on iOS is about on par with the current android. However, hopefully the new Siri implementation will live up to the hype and actually work and, more importantly, be useful. Only time will tell.

So there you have it, MY take on why I stuck with iPhone. Just remember that there's more to consider than just hardware specs, it's a whole ecosystem and depending on how vested you are it may play into it.

Cheers!

20. pirarre macrumors 6502

I have the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch and I couldn't agree with you more. Another reason for me choosing to exchange my Epic Touch is because of the fact that some apps work on certain Android phones and they don't work on others. For example Google Talk w/ video chat works on my Epic Touch but it doesn't work on my wife's Evo 4G.

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I got the Galaxy S II yesterday and returned it today and pre-ordered the iPhone 4S.

The Galaxy S II and android were great. It really depends on you.

The only reason I really returned is because I use all Mac computers and services such as me.com/icloud and iPhoto, iTunes, etc.. Using the Android required me to stray away from too many of my common programs and ways so I decided it wasn't worth it.

Anyone that says Android sucks, blah blah blah 9/10 never even tried it out. It's great, it just depends on what you require.

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    These messages to go elsewhere are silly. Very few people here are blind, Apple zealots. I see this site as for people with an interest in Apple and its products. As someone who came to this thread to read about arguments for the merits of each phone, I'm a bit disappointed. I can recall some time ago when potential Mac switchers would ask for and get honest advice, and even sometimes recommendations to stick with a PC when it was more practical for a host of reasons or the person was a hardcore gamer.

When you shut down discussion and are so protectionist of the iPhone, you don't do it any favors; you make it look weak and in need of protection. The iPhone will succeed or not based on its own merits and trying to control the conversation about what the iPhone is or isn't doesn't change what it is. It has plenty of great merits to stand on. The iPhone doesn't need defending. As a longtime Apple user who has never owned a smart phone, I am very curious about both the iPhone and its competition. I believe iPhone stands on its own well, but if it didn't, why wouldn't you want it to be washed away?

When Steve Jobs came back to Apple, he didn't defend its products; in fact, he openly used a Thinkbook and criticized Apple's product line-up. As I see it, it's a good product or it's not, and if it's not, that's good to have recognized because it forces improvement. I think iPhone is a good product, but I am open to what is, not what people want to be, not out of puritanism: I prefer what is, it makes life easier and simpler.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am a big fan of Android, and I think spec wise there are several Android models that > the iPhone 4S.

Having said that, I still preordered one.

Between my iPods, my iPad, my MacBook Air, my (soon to be) Apple TV, and iCloud, the iPhone 4S will just "fit". Let me say I still think Apple is evil (that Newstand icon you get stuck with on the iPad whether you like it or not is evil) but one has to give the Devil his due...

So as long as you can live with Apple deciding how your personal computing experience needs to go, then you will find the Apple ecosystem much more polished and interesting. Resistance is futile... ;)

24. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Being a Sprint user and an owner of an Evo 4g I am deciding between these 2 phones myself... I've owned various ios devices over time and do love it... But the reason to go for an epic 4g touch over the 4S is the free Android navigation app and the 4g service of which I will still be paying 10 extra bucks for... sometimes I actually do need to look things up while on the phone.

25. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Larger phone and 4G/LTE = worse battery life and reduced "pocketability" for me - YMMV

Since I am a Mac and iPad owner, the Apple integration via MobileMe and now iCloud are really a compelling reason to stay in the Apple family regardless of other spec differences.

Also agree that the perceived build quality/materials on iPhones is a big step above most other smartphones, similar to the Macbook Pro/Air compared to your normal plastic Windows laptop from anyone else.