Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Was at Apple Store today and compared mine screen with the new batches they got there. All of the exposed new phones there had very white screens (neutral white) and mine looked reddish (not yellow, but red) when compared. It seems that I had to wait a bit for the new batches instead of going on 14 October to get one on launch day..
Also they all had visible leds on top of the screen when tilted- mine doesn't have, but it is also dimmer as I mentioned before.
Frankly, I would pay with pleasure to get only my screen replaced with one of the exposed phones there, but I seriously doubt they have such a policy..do you think it would work if I give it a try?

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Was at Apple Store today and compared mine screen with the new batches they got there. All of the exposed new phones there had very white screens (neutral white) and mine looked reddish (not yellow, but red) when compared. It seems that I had to wait a bit for the new batches instead of going on 14 October to get one on launch day..
Also they all had visible leds on top of the screen when tilted- mine doesn't have, but it is also dimmer as I mentioned before.
Frankly, I would pay with pleasure to get only my screen replaced with one of the exposed phones there, but I seriously doubt they have such a policy..do you think it would work if I give it a try?

No, they will just replace your phone.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Do you think I will get a refurb or new replacement?
Actually, what is the real disadvantage of getting refurb?

Coley

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
CANADA
So now that I'm used to my screen, I like it even more.
But my brother (who called my 4S screen yellow the moment it came out of the box) looked at it again, this time he got to see it beside my 3GS (which I thought looked crap in comparison). And he said it looked grossly yellow and unpleasant, and that he didn't like it at all.

WTF....lol

Damn is it people's eyes or something?? I want to resell the thing by the time I can upgrade with my carrier (get iPhone 5 perhaps....) and if other people looked at it and were offended enough by its tone, yeah, I'd replace it.....I want to get a good resale price some day.

I think it looks fabulous, colors are more vivid in general, and whites looks more white in an of themselves.....my 3GS whites look grey and its greys look almost purple. Apparently just to me alone :confused:
He is color blind, I am not. Anyone else think this could affect perception?
This wouldn't explain very yellow screens in comparison pics I've seen tho....

Sorry to hijack thread, but if I start a new one about the yellow screen I'd probably get tarred and feathered and quartered :p

Edit: I just want to add, that he has never owned an iPhone, knows nothing about iPhones and how yellow or blue or pomegranite twist tinted the screen should or shouldn't be, and he still didn't like it, right out of the box....with no expectations before hand related to past iPhone experience. Odd.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
just exchanged mine for a brand new one.. got the yellowish tint.. fml time to be on iphone #4

TL24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
So now that I'm used to my screen, I like it even more.
But my brother (who called my 4S screen yellow the moment it came out of the box) looked at it again, this time he got to see it beside my 3GS (which I thought looked crap in comparison). And he said it looked grossly yellow and unpleasant, and that he didn't like it at all.

WTF....lol

Damn is it people's eyes or something?? I want to resell the thing by the time I can upgrade with my carrier (get iPhone 5 perhaps....) and if other people looked at it and were offended enough by its tone, yeah, I'd replace it.....I want to get a good resale price some day.

I think it looks fabulous, colors are more vivid in general, and whites looks more white in an of themselves.....my 3GS whites look grey and its greys look almost purple. Apparently just to me alone :confused:
He is color blind, I am not. Anyone else think this could affect perception?
This wouldn't explain very yellow screens in comparison pics I've seen tho....

Sorry to hijack thread, but if I start a new one about the yellow screen I'd probably get tarred and feathered and quartered :p

Edit: I just want to add, that he has never owned an iPhone, knows nothing about iPhones and how yellow or blue or pomegranite twist tinted the screen should or shouldn't be, and he still didn't like it, right out of the box....with no expectations before hand related to past iPhone experience. Odd.

LOL good stuff. I'm actually diggin' the screen a bit more now too, the colors are more accurate but it still isn't as vibrant as the 4? It just seems like the contrast ratio on the 4S is a tad lower than the 4, but then again to every users who dont' care about this they wouldn't even notice it. However, to us we do care so it's just too bad the contrast ratio isn't on par with the 4.

Overall I'm gonna give it a month or two to see if the screen improves.

Last edited:

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Do you think I can swap the screens from my 4 to my 4S. Are they similar to each other for swapping?
Anyone noticed a reddish hue? Mine just looks red when compared to the new batches they got in Apple Store...
When jailbreak is our you can change the screen temperature yourself.

You mean with Color Profiles from Cydia?
The problem is that it won't resolve the poor contrast and gamma on the screen, compared to the excellent screens on iP4..

Last edited:

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I have an iPhone 4 and the difference between mine and a relative's 4S is very noticeable. Mine has a cooler color temperature while his looks warm.

With multiple companies making screens it would be nice to have some software based adjustment to allow users to fine tune their preference.

All I ask is that the whites are white, the grays are gray and the blacks are black. It doesn't need to have the precision of a media editing monitor but some basic adjustments would be nice.

The problem is that it won't resolve the poor contrast and gamma on the screen, compared to the excellent screens on iP4..

I just saw your post after submitting mine. So not only are they using additional manufacturers but the actual screen quality isn't as good? I thought the 4S issue might just be that Apple tweaked the color temp a bit. If what you say is true, well that just sucks. Hopefully Apple will refocus their views when it comes to the iPhone 5's screen. When the iPhone 4 was being debuted one of the main visual points of the phone was its high quality screen. If this is the case it's not the first time a company rested on previous claims without following through. Hopefully things will improve.

I'm not saying the 4S screen is bad. It's just that I would like to see a consistent, fairly color accurate, high quality screen on a device which relies on visuals for interaction.

Last edited:

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Terrible experience today at Apple Store. Wanted to buy a 32GB 4S, first unit- terribly yellow. Exchanged it immediately. Second unit- terribly scratched on the anthena band, also refused to activate the sim card. The seller gave me try of another shot, took third one! Because it was late, I was supposed to open the box at home. When I activated the phone- the same- yellow screen, terrible dimmer spots all over the screen and interlace lines ( screen flickering)..
I am just give up. On monday I am taking my money back and will use my beloved iP4 until iPhone 5 appears.
This quality control now is capable to force me buying some other brand...

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Terrible experience today at Apple Store. Wanted to buy a 32GB 4S, first unit- terribly yellow. Exchanged it immediately. Second unit- terribly scratched on the anthena band, also refused to activate the sim card. The seller gave me try of another shot, took third one! Because it was late, I was supposed to open the box at home. When I activated the phone- the same- yellow screen, terrible dimmer spots all over the screen and interlace lines ( screen flickering)..
I am just give up. On monday I am taking my money back and will use my beloved iP4 until iPhone 5 appears.
This quality control now is capable to force me buying some other brand...
I feel your pain!
I'm on my 4th iPhone 4S and still have problems. I started thinking about coming back to the 4 as well.

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Man, live with it. Get iphone5, problem solved when time comes. Dont lose life over it, you guys are going to be covered in grey hairs from stressing on the small things in life. God forbide you guys have a serious crisis in life.

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I don't know what the problem is really, I got my 4s like 4 or 5 days ago, and I only was able to notice the warmer screen when compared to my iPod Touch 4G. However, it's not yellow. As I said, just a little warmer. The screen looks absolutely great, the colors are vivid, the contrast is ok. Even video games and videos look better than on my iPod, but I guess it's normal since iPods are said to have worse screens.

peter3

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010

Did you happen to peep at the serial so we can know which
batch number the less warmer screens belongs to?

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Did you happen to peep at the serial so we can know which
batch number the less warmer screens belongs to?

Yes, DO NOT take any starting with C39- terrible QC of this factory and all brownish, yellowish, uneven backlighted screens!
Seems that some of C38 are OK (mainly white versions), but not all.
DNP- all I saw were very good- neutral whites on the screens with very even backlight and no "interlace scanlines effect" at all.
DNT/Q- same as above, but cooler (blueish) whites and slight problem with "interlace effect" (some sensitive eyes can see scanlines on the screen)
That is pretty much all I fugured out while I was at Apple Store.
I finally found a good unit (DNP) with very even screen backlight ( no dimmer parts), but I had to give up from 32GB's version- all of them (black/white) were from C39 factory and looked just awful- have never screen worse screens in my life...
So I picked 16GB DNP up ( really wanted 32GB, but I would never be happy with this crappy screens they all had)

Last edited:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My 4s has a noticeably warmer screen that the 4 I had before. The 4 was reasonably close to the calibrated screen in my MBP. It doesn't particularly bother me though.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Update:

All white 16GB 4S from factory C38 (not C39) have very good screens. Just for the record..

tadziak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
wonder if there is any connection between the type of screen (yellow/white/blue) and the power usage/battery drain... Maybe some of them takes more power at the same level of brightness?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Got my phone replaced the other day and i'm glad it doesn't have the yellow hue to it.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.PNG
    IMG_4395.PNG
    56.8 KB · Views: 138
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.