Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
hello

is there a "easy way" to discuss with iphone engineers?

i mean, here we have a mobile provider, about 15million subscribers, plus it's subsidary overseas.
But.
Even if since iphone 5 the three main providers are supported, the fourth one activated it's volte/vowifi in 2022. Well, i understood then that it's from the manufacturer to integer it in the iphone.

on iphone 7, free mobile volte is supported. For vowifi, it's not before iphone X range. It's very surprising.
and for Free Mobile Reunion (a subsidary), it's not before... ios17.

where even a year ago, a tech guy of apple phone support ensured me that this provider's vowifi was working well on iphone5.. looks like he didnt tried himself.

isn't there a way to get apple "fix" the problem by spreading out ISP's configuration on iphone since 5th one is supposed to support all of them officially?

since there are two kids among my relatives, whom have iphone 5, with this provider, looking for volte on that model..

thank you vm !

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
You're wanting Apple to enable support for a new feature on a phone they discontinued 11 years ago? 🧐

Not likely...

yes, i want it.
as it officially supports volte, as it's still a working phone, and just refuses to die
best choice for a kiddie 10yo.

and i still use a powerpc daily :)

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I do think Apple should continue to support older models but charge for the updates.
Apple could charge $20 for this and other updates for EOL devices.

i-Liam

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
The iPhone 5 doesn’t have to hardware to support wifi calling or voLTE. The 5c and 5s supported wifi calling, but not voLTE. The first iPhone to support both was the iPhone 6.

Randomnewperson

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
yes, i want it.
as it officially supports volte, as it's still a working phone, and just refuses to die
best choice for a kiddie 10yo.

and i still use a powerpc daily :)
If you feel this strongly, than take Apple to court over it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I do think Apple should continue to support older models but charge for the updates.
Apple could charge $20 for this and other updates for EOL devices.

So few people would purchase it, making it unfeasible for Apple. They'd much rather sell you a silicone case for $49 that costs $2 to make.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
So few people would purchase it, making it unfeasible for Apple. They'd much rather sell you a silicone case for $49 that costs $2 to make.
Yea, maybe this example was a bad one. But in general I think paying for updates could make devices live a good bit longer and that they are secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.