Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
O'lord lets hope not. The sooner the 6 design language goes away the better. It was the most un-Apple design imaginable.
Gone was sleek, sexy and modern, in was frumpy, tacky, overly large in its class with a weird bump for the camera.
We can't tell from those pictures what it looks like, so there is still hope.

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2015
Sorry, I couldn't be less interested in this phone. We've all been begging for larger screens since the iPhone 5, and now it's front page news that they're updating the iPhone 5. Man we must really be starved for Apple news these days.

garotemonkey

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
This just in:
toast.png

Apple is going to release a toaster the same size as an iPhone 6.
PICTURES DON'T LIE!!

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
If it has the same internals and features as the 6 they are crippling it right out of the gate because a lot of people won't want to buy it cause it isn't the latest and greatest. If Apple want it to sell well it will have to have the same specs and features as the other phones, minus a feature or two.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Funny, about 30 minutes before seeing this I had my old original iPhone 8GB out. I had found the original power supply and wanted to put it in the box—which means I have found all the original accessories! Or at least what I'm pretty certain are the originals. Anyway, so I was holding it and kinda missed having a really small iPhone. I'm half tempted to go back to the small size—but not if it skimps on specs. They should just sell it at the same price point as the 6s and keep it as similar as possible. I could understand if the processor was down-clocked a little. But there's little technical reason they couldn't deliver a 4" beast in 2016. I think such a device would account for 15-20% of sales.

What I'm really looking forward to are reduced bezels on the iPhone 7. If they can shave a lot off the top and bottom and a little on the sides, it should be pretty close to the iPhone 5 in height and just a little wider. This would be the perfect size for me. But the 6s is way better than my old 6 Plus so I'm happy for now.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Before we too firmly believe the rumored small iPhone will be named the iPhone 5se, let us not forget that there was a rumor floating around before the iPad Pro announcement that said the large iPad would be named the iPad maxi. Literally.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Sorry, I couldn't be less interested in this phone. We've all been begging for larger screens since the iPhone 5, and now it's front page news that they're updating the iPhone 5. Man we must really be starved for Apple news these days.
People like choices. I thought having a huge iPhone was a must. Now that I've owned my 6+ since release day, I'm ready to go back to a smaller phone.

Reactions: Porsupah

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
I love it when people say "I'm not interested so nobody will buy it" or "This is dumb so I'm waiting".

Newsflash, your opinion isn't truth. It's just your personal opinion and can't be projected onto the population as a whole.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Why? Why "5se"? Why March? Why lower specs?
That's a throwback to old school Apple. Love it! March.... probably because if they released it in the fall people would expect internals to match the fall release. Also, it isn't really lower spec by that much. It's driving a smaller display so an A8 is more than sufficient. The lack of 3D Touch may convince some to wait, but others may not care

Reactions: DMVillain and bobob

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Anyone else starting to feel this way.

We get it that there is a new phone coming out each year.
And that it will most likely come out in September.
And that it will be called 7 this year and 7S next year.
And that the iOS will be called iOS x+1
and it will be in short supply until around Christmas
and that the 'S' version will be the same shape as the first version but it will be a faster chip
and the camera will be a little better.

OK we all got that. So maybe we don't need to talk about the upcoming phone until around August.
That can give us about a month to be excited and looking forward. And then the Chinese workers won't have to risk their jobs to get us poor quality pictures of the guts of some phone.

I miss the old Macrumors from before the iPhone, when we used to have rumors about the Mac.

crickets...

I'm sorry, what where you saying about the head phone jack, please tell me more.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
So you think Apple is putting out two different 4" phones this year?

Yup. It explains the disparate rumors. Plus, if Apple only releases a budget phone, they will leave a lot of money on the table for the 40% installed user base still using an iPhone 5S or older, who don't want to upgrade to a larger phone, and can otherwise afford to pay flagship prices.

Reactions: DMVillain

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
Excellent - I'm definitely anticipating this iPhone. I'm currently on a 5S and am not interested in a bigger phone, just one with updated internals and Apple Pay. Since I'm coming from the 5S, even 6 internals are an upgrade for me. While I'd certainly prefer 6S internals, I'm fine with a bit less in exchange for the 4 inch form factor. Plus it's a great reason to ditch Verizon. Double win.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The photo seems credible, and it's beautiful.
I'm still not convinced about the name: it won't be 5SE.
Regarding the hardware, an A8 is more than enough to drive a 4" display, but I really hope they are going to use 2 Gb of RAM like the iPad Mini.

Reactions: Sea Bass

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Why not just keep selling the iPhone 5s for couple of more years? It is a good phone.

It doesn't have NFC or Pay. While I agree it could hold up another year, it probably won't make it two, and if Apple is going to this trouble on a budget phone, they intend to sell it beyond next year's lineup on the first world market. This would give them a cheap phone to continue marketing in developing markets.

Why? Why "5se"? Why March? Why lower specs?

5se might make sense if it's really going to be a budget model. March makes sense as it serves a smaller customer base -- but still over 40% of Apple's installed base. If those customers are all ready to upgrade, it stands to reason a sizable portion is holding out for a new 4". So it will inject much needed income and unit sales into Apple's Spring quarter, and will take the pressure off of prepping and releasing 3 new models at the same time in Septemeber -- especially if there are actually going to be two new 4" models. And since the 4" is not likely to compete with the larger phones, they know they have a captive audience who will reliably upgrade and pick up the slack on larger phone sales in the off cycle.

Reactions: ephemeralreason

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
If Apple wants the new 4" phone to sell well they need it to have the internals of the 6S. If it has the internals of the 6 they are crippling it right out of the gate and it want sell as well. I want a 4" phone myself but I don't want it with old tech. I want it to be the same as the 6S just in a smaller form factor. Guess we will have to wait to see what Apple comes out with.
Did you realize that on a 4" screen the internals of the iPhone 6 would fly ?
Let us hope about 2 Gb of ram and it would be perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.