Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjarden3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2016
Hi, I have an iPhone 6 that I've owned since December 2014.
In the past few months I've been buying chargers pretty much weekly for it because the thing destroys them somehow.

After anywhere from a day to 3 weeks of use, the charger starts to do that thing where it disconnects then reconnects, with that annoying double vibration. This gets more and more frequent over the course of 2-3 days, and then the charger stops working altogether.
It's been doing this for quite a while, I don't remember when it started but I'd say a year ago or so.
I've tried all different kinds of charger cables, from $1 eBay ones to $25 Apple Store ones to braided cables and mesh cables to AmazonBasics and Best Buy cables, they all have the same exact problem.

I know it's not the little AC to USB box that does it because I've tried with 3 or 4 different ones.
It's not the outlet or the house because I have 2 houses and it does the same for me at both houses, and doesn't do it for my brother or anyone else in my family.
I'm pretty sure it's not my style of use (some people have said that bending the charger at either end too much could easily cause this) as I never bend the cable too much and I've tried going out of my way to keep the charger almost perfectly straight on both ends and the same problem still occurs. There's never any visible physical damage to either end of the cord.

The only thing that's left is the phone itself that could be causing it, but this really doesn't seem to make sense to me, I've never heard of a phone destroying chargers repeatedly.

Any thoughts on this? At this point I've basically settled for buying a 3-pack of chargers for $7 on eBay approximately every month, and I'm probably just going to order 10 so I'll have 30 chargers to last me longer and just use them like they're disposable, but it's wasteful and kind of ridiculous to be doing that.

Thanks
-George

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
At $7 a month (plus a ton more money you seem to have already thrown at this) is take it to Apple and see if they could identify am problem and what it would cost to have it repaired.

If say this is peculiar and surprising that the phone itself isn't exhibiting any other symptoms, but Apple should be able to help you here.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
If you're buying chargers that cheap it's no wonder they aren't lasting. Perhaps the problem is actually the power supply in your house?

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Also I'd check for dust inside the lightning port. Mine got full of lint and fluff and I found it hard to keep a charge when plugged in. I used a wooden toothpick to flick it all out.

Jelley Bean

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2017
My son's cell phone has ruined all 5 of our Apple iPhone chargers. They included 3 expensive Verizon Apple quick chargers, 2 OD which have double ports, and 1 with a single port. The other two were the original white Apple chargers that came with the phones. We have 4 iPhones in our home. And once he uses them, they won't work anymore for ANY of our iPhones, including his. It's like his iPhone fries them or something. Please help us figure this out.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My son's cell phone has ruined all 5 of our Apple iPhone chargers. They included 3 expensive Verizon Apple quick chargers, 2 OD which have double ports, and 1 with a single port. The other two were the original white Apple chargers that came with the phones. We have 4 iPhones in our home. And once he uses them, they won't work anymore for ANY of our iPhones, including his. It's like his iPhone fries them or something. Please help us figure this out.

Not hard to figure this out. If the phone has ruined 5 chargers . . . Take it to the Apple Store and have them run it though diagnosis.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
My iPhone 7 seems to keep ruining the pins on all of my chargers, Apple too
I try to wipe off some of the stuff off of them, but the pins are getting less & less gold everytime I charge

Maybe related to me putting the phone in water?

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
My iPhone 7 seems to keep ruining the pins on all of my chargers, Apple too
I try to wipe off some of the stuff off of them, but the pins are getting less & less gold everytime I charge

Maybe related to me putting the phone in water?
I sincerely hope your joking...if you’re not it’s possibly the corrosion in your charging port ruining the pins on the cable. The iPhone 7 isn’t waterproof, only water resistant....it’s not made to be submerged.

Reactions: Applejuiced

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I'm not sure why I put Apple in there ("...chargers, Apple too")

Anyway!

Yes I'm being serious, although it's not too bad anymore
and the phone in water is just a theory, I actually have no idea what's causing it

canvasback13

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
My iphone 7 plus is really hard on chargers. No other iphone I have owned had done this. I haven't gotten the phone wet or anything. I am going through apple chargers, and Anker chargers quickly. It is really strange. it turns a couple pins on the charger a dark color. Then it fails to charge or connects, and then disconnects repeatedly

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My iphone 7 plus is really hard on chargers. No other iphone I have owned had done this. I haven't gotten the phone wet or anything. I am going through apple chargers, and Anker chargers quickly. It is really strange. it turns a couple pins on the charger a dark color. Then it fails to charge or connects, and then disconnects repeatedly

You need to bring it to Apple for repair/replacement.
It has a hardware malfunction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.