Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Have you seen iOS 8 on the 4s?

I have and it works pretty well considering its a 3 year old phone that is still supported. The 4S will start to disappear over the next 12 months and you won't see so many about, a bit like the 3GS of a few years ago. I doubt it'll get iOS 9, but credit to Apple for supporting older phones.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
S4 was a horrible phone. Note 4 however is a really good piece of kit and won many awards this year. Far superior than any other phablet right now.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
S4 was a horrible phone. Note 4 however is a really good piece of kit and won many awards this year. Far superior than any other phablet right now.

Isn't the Note 4 the same price as an iPhone though? It also appeals to a different type of user than say the S4/S5 or the standard sized iPhone because of the increased size. Superiority is measured by the individual and how it suits their tastes.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
I have and it works pretty well considering its a 3 year old phone that is still supported. The 4S will start to disappear over the next 12 months and you won't see so many about, a bit like the 3GS of a few years ago. I doubt it'll get iOS 9, but credit to Apple for supporting older phones.

And this one of the reasons why in my opinion the iPhone is the better investment in the long run. I could keep my 6+ for up to 3 years or so if I want to, and it would still be supported by the latest iOS updates.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida

Don't know about it being far more superior than say 6/6+. If it was that more superior why does the 6/6+ trump it in sale and being the most desired smart phones out the now? Don't get me wrong the note 4 is a nice device, but I dont know about it being far more superior.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
Don't know about it being far more superior than say 6/6+. If it was that more superior why does the 6/6+ trump it in sale and being the most desired smart phones out the now? Don't get me wrong the note 4 is a nice device, but I dont know about it being far more superior.
Wow. I guess beats are more superior than any other headset then because of their sales.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Wow. I guess beats are more superior than any other headset then because of their sales.

In that they are giving a large swath of potential headphone buyers exactly what they want, yes, they are superior. Even though you or I would never buy them, we are in the minority.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida

That is totally deferent don't u think? How can we compare smart phone to head phones. We are talking about smartphones here, my good friend and neighbor both him and is wife owns the note4. When I would use my finger sensor to unlock my 6+ they would say it look so easy on my phone. I would watch them swiping and holding there finger a certain way for it to work. And even then it took them like three swipes for it to work, u have to swipe it the right way for it to work they say. My 6+ I can put my finger on the sensor at any angle and it would work on the first try all the time. And also iOS and the sensor use for the camera etc in the 6/6+ is amazing.

Sorry but I don't think the note4 is far more superior than my 6+, I am just saying. And also I dont to care to much for beats head phones, I use the BlueBuds X for the gym and when I am out running etc.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
That is totally deferent don't u think? How can we compare smart phone to head phones. We are talking about smartphones here, my good friend and neighbor both him and is wife owns the note4. When I would use my finger sensor to unlock my 6+ they would say it look so easy on my phone. I would watch them swiping and holding there finger a certain way for it to work. And even then it took them like three swipes for it to work, u have to swipe it the right way for it to work they say. My 6+ I can put my finger on the sensor at any angle and it would work on the first try all the time. And also iOS and the sensor use for the camera etc in the 6/6+ is amazing.

Sorry but I don't think the note4 is far more superior than my 6+, I am just saying. And also I dont to care to much for beats head phones, I use the BlueBuds X for the gym and when I am out running etc.
You were implying that the iPhone 6+ was better than the note 4 because of its sales. I was just demonstrating that your logic was flawed.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
You obviously don't know what trolling is....

----------

have you seen lollipop on the Galaxy nexus...? oh wait... nevermind.

4s on 8.1.2 is not bad at all considering it is a few years old and only has 512mb of RAM, still runs fine and can run decently well

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
You were implying that the iPhone 6+ was better than the note 4 because of its sales. I was just demonstrating that your logic was flawed.

The is nothing flawed about what I said, and I wasn't the one that said the note4 is far more superior than any other phone out there to begin with. So who is implying which is better not me. I am just saying that I don't agree with that statement that's all, and I gave some of my reasons why I don't think the note4 isnt far more superior than the 6/6+.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
have you seen lollipop on the Galaxy nexus...? oh wait... nevermind.

4s on 8.1.2 is not bad at all considering it is a few years old and only has 512mb of RAM, still runs fine and can run decently well
Why would I want lollipop on the galaxy nexus if it would cripple the performance like iOS 7 did on the 4.

Anyways this is the reason for Google dropping support for the galaxy nexus.

"Apparently, one of the reasons Google won’t be updating the Galaxy Nexus is due to its Texas Instruments processor. Texas Instruments*left the mobile chip bussiness earlier this year, leaving it without the necessary support, or so we thought."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-nexus-android-4-4-kitkat/#ixzz3Me9P2KDv*

----------

The is nothing flawed about what I said, and I wasn't the one that said the note4 is far more superior than any other phone out there to begin with. So who is implying which is better not me. I am just saying that I don't agree with that statement that's all, and I gave some of my reasons why I don't think the note4 isnt far more superior than the 6/6+.
Ok. There's nothing wrong with giving reasons why something is better than something else. It just bothers me when people think that sales are a valid reason.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Why would I want lollipop on the galaxy nexus if it would cripple the performance like iOS 7 did on the 4.

Anyways this is the reason for Google dropping support for the galaxy nexus.

"Apparently, one of the reasons Google won’t be updating the Galaxy Nexus is due to its Texas Instruments processor. Texas Instruments*left the mobile chip bussiness earlier this year, leaving it without the necessary support, or so we thought."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-nexus-android-4-4-kitkat/#ixzz3Me9P2KDv*

----------

Ok. There's nothing wrong with giving reasons why something is better than something else. It just bothers me when people think that sales are a valid reason.

Kitkat and both Lollipop are meant to run better on older android devices then what Galaxy Nexus is currently stopped at in software updates (4.2 or 4.3?)

So theres no reason why the Galaxy Nexus should not get the Lollipop update, it has a dual core and 1GB of RAM, which is actually alot better then the iPhone 4 here so there isnt really a comparison at all nor is it even relevant to mention the i4 on iOS 7 because Galaxy Nexus sports noticeably better hardware then the iPhone 4

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I was traveling in the Caribbean and Asia last 2 weeks. Outdoor shots very fantastic. The S5 would some times come shaken because the time to finish the shoot is very long on the S5. The iPhone 6+ and 6 are real fast.
How are outdoor shoots on your 6 plus compared to your GS5?

I have the 6 plus and came from the S5. I was really happy with the outdoor shots from my S5, they were amazing. However indoor shots and low light shots were were not that great.

With my 6 plus I've mainly taken a lot of low light and indoor shots and have been really impressed with the quality of the pics. They are a lot better than what I got with my S5. I haven't gotten round to taking many outdoor pictures (probably the weather) so I haven't been able to compare yet. I really hope my 6 plus can match my S5 for outdoor shots.

green9206

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
I did a quick comparison between the various iPhones and turns out the $100 Moto E matches the $300 4S 8gb, $300 Moto X 2013 16gb matches the $600 5S 16gb and the $400 Nexus 5 matches the $800 iPhone 6 16gb.
So you see how much more Apple charges you while offering similar specs and features than competing Android phones if you buy the phone outright.
Also the whole Apple offers a premium user experience is clearly torn to shreds by many people complaining how much of an issue only 1gb ram is creating for owners so premium experience it is not.
So the only explanation why so many people are buying $1000 iPhones is because their friends and family are also buying it, the amazing marketing department of Apple and people who just prefer Apple ecosystem.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I did a quick comparison between the various iPhones and turns out the $100 Moto E matches the $300 4S 8gb, $300 Moto X 2013 16gb matches the $600 5S 16gb and the $400 Nexus 5 matches the $800 iPhone 6 16gb.

So you see how much more Apple charges you while offering similar specs and features than competing Android phones if you buy the phone outright.

Also the whole Apple offers a premium user experience is clearly torn to shreds by many people complaining how much of an issue only 1gb ram is creating for owners so premium experience it is not.

So the only explanation why so many people are buying $1000 iPhones is because their friends and family are also buying it, the amazing marketing department of Apple and people who just prefer Apple ecosystem.

Yep I prefer the whole Apple Eco system that is why I voted for it with my wallet. Nearly all my friends and family feel the same and it makes life a whole lot easier. I don't shop for specs but rather user experience and iOS gives me a level of satisfaction unrivalled anywhere else. It's great having choice :)

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2014
I don't think the iPhone 6 is something to turn to if you want bang for your buck. But hey, neither is a high-end Android either. Sticking with something like the ridiculously cheap (by comparison) Moto G 2014 would be the way to go.

No doubting the fact that at the very least, the iPhone 6 build quality, design and materials are a cut above pretty much any Android phone (HTC is the closest).

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Lets be honest here, iPhones are not the best value smartphones on the market. They don't even come close, and never have.

We buy the iPhone because we make a value decision on things like design, build materials and manufacturer support. Whether that's worth an extra £200 from a Note 4 to a 6 Plus is up to you.

Personally, I'd say no. If I hadn't got my phone at a massive discount, a different phone would be sitting on my desk at the moment.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Except all of those phones are running an inferior OS that's far too unreliable and sloppy for me to ever use as my main device again. So spare us the whole "sheep" argument that you're aiming for. Some of us prefer iOS and the superior integration that it offers across Apple products that cannot be matched by Android. Anyone who has an ounce of knowledge about tech knows that two devices running different OSs can't be directly compared in performance by specs. Then as for issues and complaints with the iPhone 6, that's the case for every phone on the market. Go visit any Android forum and check out the numerous complaints and issues for every device that you listed.

And where in the US is the 16GB iPhone 6 $800? It's only so long a company can take losses on their hardware, that's why the Nexus 6 is priced accordingly at $650. Even Google isn't stupid enough to continue to give their devices away.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Yep I prefer the whole Apple Eco system that is why I voted for it with my wallet. Nearly all my friends and family feel the same and it makes life a whole lot easier. I don't shop for specs but rather user experience and iOS gives me a level of satisfaction unrivalled anywhere else. It's great having choice :)

I'm with you. I was on an HTC One M8 Windows Phone for a bit and while it was a good phone, and Windows Phone was just fine for me, the MS ecosystem just isn't quite up to snuff with Apple's. It is getting there though.

So I bit the bullet and got the 6+ and am very well pleased with it. Didn't even give Android a glance as I've had Android in the past and just didn't like it at all.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Considering how many apps have both a Android and iOS versions these days, it's probably not worth the premium unless you're totally vested in iOS with a bunch of apps and with family members. That describes my situation. So in my case I would pay more for an iPhone. Or at least find a way to get it at reasonable prices.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
iPhone 6, is it worth 150-200% the price of Android high-end phones?

I agree with everything apart from android phones not receiving updates. They do get updated. If you buy a flagship phone you will most likely get two updates, less than on iOS and you may have to wait up to 6 months after release before you get it. So essentially the software update situation is a lot better on iOS. Everything else I agree with though.

Two updates? The iPhone 4 got more than two updates? In fact I think iPhones get around three years of support/updates and that's around 2 years more than what I got with my Samsung Galaxy S2..

Plus you can't walk into a Samsung shop or even an htc shop and ask for help..

I'll admit tho I am considering giving android another go next November :)

That's not me saying I hate iOS...far from it actually, I love it because it is well refined and nice to look at. Apple do fine tune their os much better and fir me having iTunes to manage my music is far better than clumsily doing it on a phone screen!

Android has its pros so I'm not going to start slating one over the other, android lollipop does look fairly promising from what I've seen on the nexus 6 anyway.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Two updates? The iPhone 4 got more than two updates? In fact I think iPhones get around three years of support/updates and that's around 2 years more than what I got with my Samsung Galaxy S2..

Plus you can't walk into a Samsung shop or even an htc shop and ask for help..

I'll admit tho I am considering giving android another go next November :)

That's not me saying I hate iOS...far from it actually, I love it because it is well refined and nice to look at. Apple do fine tune their os much better and fir me having iTunes to manage my music is far better than clumsily doing it on a phone screen!

Android has its pros so I'm not going to start slating one over the other, android lollipop does look fairly promising from what I've seen on the nexus 6 anyway.

Well I used to be able to walk into a Samsung shop but it closed down on Christmas Eve. #

Software updates and support is a lot better on iOS. However the point I was making is that most flagship android devices will receive software updates that will cover the user for the duration of a contract (2 years).

iTunes does what it says on the tin, however I still prefer drag and drop for media management.

Last edited:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
You obviously don't know what trolling is....

----------

1. Yes I do

2. No I don't, as I think twice about installing a new update on an older phone, until I see the fallout of any issues. Done that, wife's 4S is not updated. Having said that, if you turn off the CPU intensive tasks such as predictive, turn on Reduce Motion, keep the running apps to a minimum, its ok. Did that to daughters iPad 2, and suggested that to a couple of friends 4S's, it helped enough they said. I wouldn't update my 6 Plus with iOS12 either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.