Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
You do have fair points. The apple brand is synonymous with quality, it just works yada yada. I feel that well founded. Samsung is equally well known, it's known for many many features and big phones. My wife is Chinese, all of her friends have an iPhone or a galaxy. All. Most of those are bought cos its an iPhone, cool as, those that bought a big Galaxy, also cool as.
But what I have found is those with iPhones, often they saw cool stuff from friends. Galaxy, not so much, just that is a super cool big phone. This is all anecdotal off course, but at the end of the day, are iPhones crap hardware, crap ios, etc, or not. Is the Galaxy just a plastic fantastic and meh? No to both.

I can argue the pros and cons of both, doesn't worry me, and that's a good way to be. If ios was licensed to be on a Galaxy or HTC or lg or lumia, could I use one of those? Quite possibly. But that's not the case, but I have been very happy with my iPhone's from 4 to 6 plus. Maybe I've been lucky, glitches few and far between, very few and far between. The overall,package of the phone, iPad, rMBP work wonderfully together. Those that prefer a Google ecosystem or windows ecosystem, good on them.
Different strokes for different folks. Tbh, I actually use all three OS's on a daily basis (iOS, windows and android) so I don't have a problem of any platform.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Really? I see the opposite with my iPhone friends/family. The Messages app isn't iMessage, its Messages. SMS, MMS, iMessage. FaceTime works great. If needed we can use cross platform Video apps.

Locked down? Proprietary? That connotation implies limited, cannot do much with them. Thats incorrect. That they are Apple only apps for use between iOS and OS X makes them proprietary, yes, thats no issue. Plus we have more choice as we can use cross platform apps as well, so we have the larger choice. Thats locked down? I use WeChat also, FaceTime video works better, thats handy. This "locked down" comment is commonly said by naysayers, overstated and over used.
In most countries other than US and Japan, people settle on all platforms apps such as whatsapp etc. in order to effectively communicate with others when iphone users are the minority.

Lockdown and proprietary means only available on apple platform only.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
What exactly does it "just works" better mean? I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8 and a nexus 5 running lollipop and my iOS experience is less stable than my lollipop experience. As there are third party keyboard glitches that i have experienced that messed up a lot of my apps and it doesn't feel as fluid as iOS 7. But that's just my experience.

If you don't have at least a decent android device I don't know how you can make a fair comparison as I doubt you have used lollipop first hand or any recent android software for that matter.

This is one if the many glitches I've encountered:

WTF? Yeah this is what you resort to when you can't prove a point. Anyways I'm done with you.

So witch iOS 8 are u running 8.1.2 ? If so that sould take care of your problems if not I am sure apple is working on that. Did u research to see why u are having that problem? Are even contact a genius bar about your problem? So I guest the S4 wasn't a decent phone? did I have some set backs with iOS some time in the pass? Yes but, they where all resolved either by a software update or by making some changes in settings. And what am I resorting to? I am just suggesting that u stop running in circles it would be better for u in the long run, being less stress out etc. isn't that good advice or no?

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
In most countries other than US and Japan, people settle on all platforms apps such as whatsapp etc. in order to effectively communicate with others when iphone users are the minority.

Lockdown and proprietary means only available on apple platform only.
Whatsapp is also proprietary. If you had to use that to video jack jones so would I. No different. If jack doesn't have what's app but he has viber we both need to get that. Wechat is another, so nothing different. But if jack had iOS we would use FaceTime or imessage. Just an extra choice ios has, no biggie. FaceTime for whatever reason works better than wechat and Skype. Cannot comment on what's app as I don't have a need to use it. Message wise, if i messages Jack and he has android, it's a text and these days everyone has unlimited text.

I'm not in the us or Japan .

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
You do have fair points. The apple brand is synonymous with quality, it just works yada yada. I feel that well founded. Samsung is equally well known, it's known for many many features and big phones. My wife is Chinese, all of her friends have an iPhone or a galaxy. All. Most of those are bought cos its an iPhone, cool as, those that bought a big Galaxy, also cool as.
But what I have found is those with iPhones, often they saw cool stuff from friends. Galaxy, not so much, just that is a super cool big phone. This is all anecdotal off course, but at the end of the day, are iPhones crap hardware, crap ios, etc, or not. Is the Galaxy just a plastic fantastic and meh? No to both.

I can argue the pros and cons of both, doesn't worry me, and that's a good way to be. If ios was licensed to be on a Galaxy or HTC or lg or lumia, could I use one of those? Quite possibly. But that's not the case, but I have been very happy with my iPhone's from 4 to 6 plus. Maybe I've been lucky, glitches few and far between, very few and far between. The overall,package of the phone, iPad, rMBP work wonderfully together. Those that prefer a Google ecosystem or windows ecosystem, good on them.

----------

Correct. You cannot be trolling if you are extolling the virtues of Apple devices on an apple forum. I called the bob guy a troll, but although he is technically, it's being a sound conversation IMO.

It's all good

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
What exactly does it "just works" better mean? I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8 and a nexus 5 running lollipop and my iOS experience is less stable than my lollipop experience. As there are third party keyboard glitches that i have experienced that messed up a lot of my apps and it doesn't feel as fluid as iOS 7. But that's just my experience.

If you don't have at least a decent android device I don't know how you can make a fair comparison as I doubt you have used lollipop first hand or any recent android software for that matter.

This is one if the many glitches I've encountered:

WTF? Yeah this is what you resort to when you can't prove a point. Anyways I'm done with you.

Only third party keyboards? All of them? Seems a dev issue but could be a bug.
The only bug I can recall in 8 was landscape mode not switching back in messages. Fixed now

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Whatsapp is also proprietary. If you had to use that to video jack jones so would I. No different. If jack doesn't have what's app but he has viber we both need to get that. Wechat is another, so nothing different. But if jack had iOS we would use FaceTime or imessage. Just an extra choice ios has, no biggie. FaceTime for whatever reason works better than wechat and Skype. Cannot comment on what's app as I don't have a need to use it. Message wise, if i messages Jack and he has android, it's a text and these days everyone has unlimited text.

I'm not in the us or Japan .

The bottom line is with whatsapp etc everyone can communicate no matter what platforms they are on.

With FaceTime or imessage anyone not on apple are locked out - translate to 80% of all smartphone users.

Use sms/mms? Are you joking? Many of the friends I know do not reside in same countries and paying international toll will bankrupt me.

If your circle of friends are all on iphone fine but if not then imessage or FaceTime are just useless junk.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
The bottom line is with whatsapp etc everyone can communicate no matter what platforms they are on.

With FaceTime or imessage anyone not on apple are locked out - translate to 80% of all smartphone users.

Use sms/mms? Are you joking? Many of the friends I know do not reside in same countries and paying international toll will bankrupt me.

If your circle of friends are all on iphone fine but if not then imessage or FaceTime are just useless junk.

Lol. So you have to command all your friends to use whatsapp. What if they use viber? At least with my contacts who use iOS I don't need to remember what they use.

If whatsapp is default on all WP or androids, then that's a good solution, as it is if everybody uses it. So I have the same issue as you, who uses what, except for iOS users

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Lol. So you have to command all your friends to use whatsapp. What if they use viber? At least with my contacts who use iOS I don't need to remember what they use.

If whatsapp is default on all WP or androids, then that's a good solution, as it is if everybody uses it. So I have the same issue as you, who uses what, except for iOS users
But I can still communicate with them if I wanted to if they are on viber. Of course having one universal im is great. But apple solution is far from one even if you wished it were.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
But I can still communicate with them if I wanted to if they are on viber. Of course having one universal im is great. But apple solution is far from one even if you wished it were.

So can I. I don't get your point. I have the same choices as you as regards what I'm others use. I just have a couple extra, that's all. And they work sweet, if I can use them. Plus I can use my iPhone, or iPad or MacBook as well, which is a plus. That applies to FaceTime, imessage, cell calling and SMS/mms. Not earth shattering but damn good.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
So can I. I don't get your point. I have the same choices as you as regards what I'm others use. I just have a couple extra, that's all. And they work sweet, if I can use them. Plus I can use my iPhone, or iPad or MacBook as well, which is a plus. That applies to FaceTime, imessage, cell calling and SMS/mms. Not earth shattering but damn good.
Now you get the point. Even iphone users can use them. So what is the advantage of apple solutions when it is not even platform agnostic.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Now you get the point. Even iphone users can use them. So what is the advantage of apple solutions when it is not even platform agnostic.

If I have to install a few IM apps as they are all incompatible, yes I can, as you do also. And I have to consider who uses what. My iPhone contacts, the apps are built in, they work very very well. Especially FaceTime video.

I have more choices and some are automatic. I get a cell call, or SMS, or mms. Phone is inside, iPad wifi is with me, I get those . I'm on my Mac, phone is other side of the room, I take the call, SMS, mms on the Mac. Cell calls arrive in FaceTime on every device, SMS mms and imessage arrive in the one app.

Clearly you don't like apple, that's fine. If apple provides EXTRA solutions that go above and beyond , is that a problem? It doesn't affect you, hence I don't get your point.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Only third party keyboards? All of them? Seems a dev issue but could be a bug.
The only bug I can recall in 8 was landscape mode not switching back in messages. Fixed now

I'm using third party keyboard and my experience with lollipop, on a nexus, it's far worse than iOS 8.1

----------

Not always, and there are some apps that never come to iOS.

IOS accounts for more than 75% the profits worldwide..... Android lags behind.
Market share is useless.
IOS is where the money are, and developers know that.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If I have to install a few IM apps as they are all incompatible, yes I can, as you do also. And I have to consider who uses what. My iPhone contacts, the apps are built in, they work very very well. Especially FaceTime video.

I have more choices and some are automatic. I get a cell call, or SMS, or mms. Phone is inside, iPad wifi is with me, I get those . I'm on my Mac, phone is other side of the room, I take the call, SMS, mms on the Mac. Cell calls arrive in FaceTime on every device, SMS mms and imessage arrive in the one app.

Clearly you don't like apple, that's fine. If apple provides EXTRA solutions that go above and beyond , is that a problem? It doesn't affect you, hence I don't get your point.

I too am love by the fact you can text from an iPad/MBP or answer a call if you are on wifi with your phone close by. It's nice having the continuity between them all, a nice touch. :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It makes sense to protect their growing economy in some ways, and remember the reason you can get many Android phones at reasonable prices is that there are Brazil models made in Brazil... Apple surely has enough demand that they could go this route...

If that's the case, then why aren't the Android phones similarly expensive? They're not made in Brazil either. In fact, they probably arrive on the same damned boat!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm using third party keyboard and my experience with lollipop, on a nexus, it's far worse than iOS.

I've tried Swiftkey, and Swype after hearing great things from people annoyed they were not available on iOS. As soon as third party keyboards were allowed i trialled both. It's made me appreciate how good the stock keyboard is as both are complete pants in my humble opinion. If they work for others that is great, but they are not for me.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

facetime and imessage integration is next to none really, in a perfect world i wish everyone could have imessage because it really is one of the best messaging solutions out there, it is dramatically superior to Google Hangouts on Android too. imessage and facetime is also more secure then Whatsapp,viber, google hangouts, etc.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
facetime and imessage integration is next to none really, in a perfect world i wish everyone could have imessage because it really is one of the best messaging solutions out there, it is dramatically superior to Google Hangouts on Android too. imessage and facetime is also more secure then Whatsapp,viber, google hangouts, etc.

I *still* don't understand why people choose iPhones purely because of iMessage, or reject Android because it doesn't have it. So far as I'm aware, iMessage is just a built-in messaging app which uses data. There are several similar cross-platform apps freely available and as for security, who says that iMessage is any more secure than anything else? If you're putting nuclear missile launch codes into any messaging app then I would consider that a rash thing to do. What time to arrive for dinner, and who is collecting the kids etc is hardly information which requires the utmost privacy.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I *still* don't understand why people choose iPhones purely because of iMessage, or reject Android because it doesn't have it. So far as I'm aware, iMessage is just a built-in messaging app which uses data. There are several similar cross-platform apps freely available and as for security, who says that iMessage is any more secure than anything else? If you're putting nuclear missile launch codes into any messaging app then I would consider that a rash thing to do. What time to arrive for dinner, and who is collecting the kids etc is hardly information which requires the utmost privacy.

???
Who said that users choose iPhone because of iMessage?? I have zero idea where you assumed that from. Its "just" a message platform. You and I can use Whatsapp, Viber and so on. I can also additionally use iMessage as I use an iPhone. Its of no use to you and you are not affected by not having it, it really doesnt matter. I am unsure why you are so concerned that some people use iPhones, perhaps you can answer that. And no, I am not trolling you, I don't really know why you are here if you seem to dislike iPhones and have a need to put them down, or appear to need to know why some people use them.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
???
Who said that users choose iPhone because of iMessage?? I have zero idea where you assumed that from. Its "just" a message platform. You and I can use Whatsapp, Viber and so on. I can also additionally use iMessage as I use an iPhone. Its of no use to you and you are not affected by not having it, it really doesnt matter. I am unsure why you are so concerned that some people use iPhones, perhaps you can answer that. And no, I am not trolling you, I don't really know why you are here if you seem to dislike iPhones and have a need to put them down, or appear to need to know why some people use them.

It's just that I regularly see iMessage touted as one of *the* reasons that people choose or stay with iPhones. Nothing more.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
It's just that I regularly see iMessage touted as one of *the* reasons that people choose or stay with iPhones. Nothing more.

Ok, cool. I've never heard that before. Unless their circle of friends is heavily iPhone in which case that would make some sense. But even then, its just a message app.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I've tried Swiftkey, and Swype after hearing great things from people annoyed they were not available on iOS. As soon as third party keyboards were allowed i trialled both. It's made me appreciate how good the stock keyboard is as both are complete pants in my humble opinion. If they work for others that is great, but they are not for me.

Surely it's quite subjective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.