Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
1. Yes I do

2. No I don't, as I think twice about installing a new update on an older phone, until I see the fallout of any issues. Done that, wife's 4S is not updated. Having said that, if you turn off the CPU intensive tasks such as predictive, turn on Reduce Motion, keep the running apps to a minimum, its ok. Did that to daughters iPad 2, and suggested that to a couple of friends 4S's, it helped enough they said. I wouldn't update my 6 Plus with iOS12 either
1. No you don't otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

2. The average consumer is not going to do that so your argument is not valid.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
So the only explanation why so many people are buying $1000 iPhones is because their friends and family are also buying it, the amazing marketing department of Apple and people who just prefer Apple ecosystem.

I doubt there are many buying an iPhone due to some family or friends have one. I have friends and family with Galaxys. They have friends and family with iPhones. We buy what we choose too, based on many factors.

Marketing amazing? I guess it is, but we choose to buy. And we aren't actually buying a phone, thats just the piece of dumb hardware, as is the MBP, iMac, etc, etc. We buy the complete ecosystem, and that works great.

----------

Wow. I guess beats are more superior than any other headset then because of their sales.

Thats not a great comparison. Headphones of the expensive variety are rare knowledge to most users. But smartphones are well known by all users. Given that Android user numbers far outweigh Apple users, yet Apples sales of the 6 and Plus are much more. Factor in the market share of available Android purchasers, and its more so

----------

You were implying that the iPhone 6+ was better than the note 4 because of its sales. I was just demonstrating that your logic was flawed.

I agree, but how do you define better?

Sales of the 6 and Plus are actually huge when you account for the market share os iOS vs Android, i.e. the potential numbers of users that are available to purchase a new phone on the platform they are on.

Better? Thats another thread, but certainly way more popular. Part of that is that it may be better, or its perceived to be better, or Samsung is on a slide reputation wise.

----------

1. No you don't otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

2. The average consumer is not going to do that so your argument is not valid.

As expected.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Kitkat and both Lollipop are meant to run better on older android devices then what Galaxy Nexus is currently stopped at in software updates (4.2 or 4.3?)

So theres no reason why the Galaxy Nexus should not get the Lollipop update, it has a dual core and 1GB of RAM, which is actually alot better then the iPhone 4 here so there isnt really a comparison at all nor is it even relevant to mention the i4 on iOS 7 because Galaxy Nexus sports noticeably better hardware then the iPhone 4

You cannot compare HW specs on the two platforms. iPhones use essentially one OS and one HW spec, custom designed for each other, so they can use a lower spec to get a similar performance level. Comparing Android devices off course does make a HW spec comparison valid

----------

Then as for issues and complaints with the iPhone 6, that's the case for every phone on the market. Go visit any Android forum and check out the numerous complaints and issues for every device that you listed.

Very true. If an issue arises, it gets mentioned. But we don't get mentions from the MANY who have no issues. Squeaky Wheel Syndrome.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have never understood this thing in America whereby people buy the same phone as the rest of their family. I still manage to receive phonecalls, SMS and email from the people I know who use Android.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have never understood this thing in America whereby people buy the same phone as the rest of their family. I still manage to receive phonecalls, SMS and email from the people I know who use Android.

It's certainly not the end of the world if friends and family members have different platforms. But among family at least, being on the same OS helps a lot with app and media sharing. I can either send a low quality MMS to an Android phone (and them send the same back to me), or a high res photo over Airdrop or iMessage. And FaceTime isn't going to happen between myself and those on Android.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It's certainly not the end of the world if friends and family members have different platforms. But among family at least, being on the same OS helps a lot with app and media sharing. I can either send a low quality MMS to an Android phone (and them send the same back to me), or a high res photo over Airdrop or iMessage. And FaceTime isn't going to happen between myself and those on Android.
Nowadays the messaging standard in most of the world is either whatsapp, wechat or line. All the iPhone users I know don't bother with locked down proprietary apple stuff.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
One answer: too pricey, but i'd choose an iPhone over any Android nevertheless.

----------

Nowadays the messaging standard in most of the world is either whatsapp, wechat or line. All the iPhone users I know don't bother with locked down proprietary apple stuff.

Who decides the standard, you? In my experience I use iMessage 70% of the times, whatsapp 20% and sms 10%.
So the "proprietary Apple stuff" is the most important by far.

----------

You were implying that the iPhone 6+ was better than the note 4 because of its sales. I was just demonstrating that your logic was flawed.

I think the iPhone 6+ is better than the Note 4 just because the latter is made by Samsung and powered by a bloated version of Android. Nuff said :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Nowadays the messaging standard in most of the world is either whatsapp, wechat or line.

The mere fact that you had to list three different, incompatible apps speaks volumes about the fact that there is no "standard."

All the iPhone users I know don't bother with locked down proprietary apple stuff.

Ironic, considering that they appear to be using, locked down, proprietary, and incompatible apps.

If they were using XMPP on the other hand...

in any case: People have different use cases. Some are fine with loading up on apps that do who-knows-what with their data to message. Others just use what comes out of the box. Still others go out of their way to set up truly non-proprietary, truly open platform stop communicate, as long as their counterparts are willing to jump through the same hoops. To each their own.

But again, there is no single "standard."

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Funny, i know over 20 ppl with iphones and they all use imessages and it works great...you cant even send video clips or high quality photos over Google Hangouts, what a joke.

And whatsapp is not free

Fail

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

Really? I see the opposite with my iPhone friends/family. The Messages app isn't iMessage, its Messages. SMS, MMS, iMessage. FaceTime works great. If needed we can use cross platform Video apps.

Locked down? Proprietary? That connotation implies limited, cannot do much with them. Thats incorrect. That they are Apple only apps for use between iOS and OS X makes them proprietary, yes, thats no issue. Plus we have more choice as we can use cross platform apps as well, so we have the larger choice. Thats locked down? I use WeChat also, FaceTime video works better, thats handy. This "locked down" comment is commonly said by naysayers, overstated and over used.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
I think the iPhone 6+ is better than the Note 4 just because the latter is made by Samsung and powered by a bloated version of Android. Nuff said :D
Bloatware is subjective. What you call bloatware I call useful features to take advantage of screen real estate which the 6 plus does not.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Bloatware is subjective. What you call bloatware I call useful features to take advantage of screen real estate which the 6 plus does not.

Then you should buy that cra..... phablet and enjoy that bloatware. Oops, sorry, those "features" :rolleyes:

In my opinion the iPhone remain in another league :D

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida

The 6+ is taking the advantage of some applications, but give it some time and apple will take more advantage of the bigger screen for sure, there is a lot more to come. But even with the current features of the 6/6+ it still blow away the Samsung Galaxy S4/5 note 3/4etc in sales, so is it safe to say most people prefer iOS? Emm. It looks that way according to the high demand for the 6/6+ most people with Android for example was on the fence until apple made the iPhone availabe with the bigger screen display. A mean this is the best selling iPhone for apple ever. I like I said there is more to come for Apple new iPhone 6/6+ stay tune.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
The 6+ is taking the advantage of some applications, but give it some time and apple will take more advantage of the bigger screen for sure, there is a lot more to come. But even with the current features of the 6/6+ it still blow away the Samsung Galaxy S4/5 note 3/4etc in sales, so is it safe to say most people prefer iOS? Emm. It looks that way according to the high demand for the 6/6+ most people with Android for example was on the fence until apple made the iPhone availabe with the bigger screen display. A mean this is the best selling iPhone for apple ever. I like I said there is more to come for Apple new iPhone 6/6+ stay tune.
*sigh* I feel like I'm going in circles with some of you guys. Don't you realise that iPhones get a lot of sales because of their brand image not necessarily because they have "better" products than the competition.

I guess that McDonald's make the best burgers because of how many people buy their crap.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
*sigh* I feel like I'm going in circles with some of you guys. Don't you realise that iPhones get a lot of sales because of their brand image not necessarily because they have "better" products than the competition.

I guess that McDonald's make the best burgers because of how many people buy their crap.

First I don't eat McDonald's so I wouldn't know about that, and I think you are going around in circles because u fail to accept the facts about iOS on the iPhone, it just works better than say the lollipop etc for android, and finally stop running in circles it's not worth it. When u accept the facts about anything in life, it makes it a lot easier to live with the truth. U ever heard the saying the truth shall set u free, so be free and stop running in circles.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

Whats the market share for the iPhone? Low. Whats the range of iPhones like? Low. Why are they outselling the Galaxy S5? Are all these sales to Apple fanatics?

Brand image? Yes, that counts
Hardware quality that counts also
Software quality counts also
Integration is a biggie

No company will score 10/10 for each of these factors, but Apple outscores the competition steadily on all. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York

Great point.......I agree. I like both platforms. However, you might want to stop going in circles. People are going to like what they are going to like regardless if you make the most sense in the world. Look at the response he gave you that he doesn't eat mcdonalds....tells me he realizes what your saying and probably agrees, but apple have these people under some type of spell a.k.a marketing lol.

First I don't eat McDonald's so I wouldn't know about that, and I think you are going around in circles because u fail to accept the facts about iOS on the iPhone, it just works better than say the lollipop etc for android, and finally stop running in circles it's not worth it. When u accept the facts about anything in life, it makes it a lot easier to live with the truth. U ever heard the saying the truth shall set u free, so be free and stop running in circles.

Come on fam......stop trolling.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
First I don't eat McDonald's so I wouldn't know about that, and I think you are going around in circles because u fail to accept the facts about iOS on the iPhone, it just works better than say the lollipop etc for android, and finally stop running in circles it's not worth it.
What exactly does it "just works" better mean? I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8 and a nexus 5 running lollipop and my iOS experience is less stable than my lollipop experience. As there are third party keyboard glitches that i have experienced that messed up a lot of my apps and it doesn't feel as fluid as iOS 7. But that's just my experience.

If you don't have at least a decent android device I don't know how you can make a fair comparison as I doubt you have used lollipop first hand or any recent android software for that matter.

This is one if the many glitches I've encountered:
b2be233fb7f066dfe6ed1fcd75ccd6a8.jpg

When u accept the facts about anything in life, it makes it a lot easier to live with the truth. U ever heard the saying the truth shall set u free, so be free and stop running in circles.
WTF? Yeah this is what you resort to when you can't prove a point. Anyways I'm done with you.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
Whats the market share for the iPhone? Low. Whats the range of iPhones like? Low. Why are they outselling the Galaxy S5? Are all these sales to Apple fanatics?

Brand image? Yes, that counts
Hardware quality that counts also
Software quality counts also
Integration is a biggie

No company will score 10/10 for each of these factors, but Apple outscores the competition steadily on all. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts.

Well I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that. IMO the average consumer goes for a brand they know well as they see everyone has one so "it must be good". What most of us do is research the device we want to buy and then after outweighing the advantages and disadvantages of a few phones shortlisted, find the one that suits our needs and justifies it's price tag. Like what the op is trying to do. The majority of consumers don't do that however.

When I ask people why they use an iPhone I usually get a responses like "because it's apple" or "everyone has one" instead of " because their hardware and software quality is second to none"

Last edited:

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Great point.......I agree. I like both platforms. However, you might want to stop going in circles. People are going to like what they are going to like regardless if you make the most sense in the world. Look at the response he gave you that he doesn't eat mcdonalds....tells me he realizes what your saying and probably agrees, but apple have these people under some type of spell a.k.a marketing lol.

Well I didn't tell him I don't eat McDonald's for any other reason than I am very health conscious, so for me McDonald is a no go. I don't eat processed foods, anyway that's a deferent thread all together. And I am not under any spells no fairy tales stuff here. I gave the the s4 a go some time ago. It work well for about 6m then got really laggy my three year old 4S work like a charm since the day a got it even running iOS 8.1.2, thats another thing, not much software support for android after a year are so makeing the phone almost annoying to use. Ok marketing, doesn't Samsung use marketing techniques as well just as Apple does? I guest Apple does that better also. Look my Mac, apple, tv, iPad & iPad mini all work very well together. I can face time, audio & Imessage my 6 & 11year old princesses and wife, when I of to work late sometimes at the office from my 6+. In the end everyone will go with what works best for them, and I don't think people makes dicision on what works best for them being under some spell as u put it roll eyes.

Come on fam......stop trolling.
No trolling here sir just calling like it is.

Last edited:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Well I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that. IMO the average consumer goes for a brand they know well as they see everyone has one so "it must be good". What most of us do is research the device we want to buy and then after outweighing the advantages and disadvantages of a few phones shortlisted, find the one that suits our needs and justifies it's price tag. Like what the op is trying to do. The majority of consumers don't do that however.

When I ask people why they use an iPhone I usually get a responses like "because it's apple" or "everyone has one" instead of " because their hardware and software quality is second to none"

You do have fair points. The apple brand is synonymous with quality, it just works yada yada. I feel that well founded. Samsung is equally well known, it's known for many many features and big phones. My wife is Chinese, all of her friends have an iPhone or a galaxy. All. Most of those are bought cos its an iPhone, cool as, those that bought a big Galaxy, also cool as.
But what I have found is those with iPhones, often they saw cool stuff from friends. Galaxy, not so much, just that is a super cool big phone. This is all anecdotal off course, but at the end of the day, are iPhones crap hardware, crap ios, etc, or not. Is the Galaxy just a plastic fantastic and meh? No to both.

I can argue the pros and cons of both, doesn't worry me, and that's a good way to be. If ios was licensed to be on a Galaxy or HTC or lg or lumia, could I use one of those? Quite possibly. But that's not the case, but I have been very happy with my iPhone's from 4 to 6 plus. Maybe I've been lucky, glitches few and far between, very few and far between. The overall,package of the phone, iPad, rMBP work wonderfully together. Those that prefer a Google ecosystem or windows ecosystem, good on them.

----------

No trolling here sir just calling like it is.

Correct. You cannot be trolling if you are extolling the virtues of Apple devices on an apple forum. I called the bob guy a troll, but although he is technically, it's being a sound conversation IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.