Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I am sure they are pretty good, my android friends usualy rave over them.
Maybe it takes a bit of time to get used to it.

----------

Whats different and why? Keen to see your reply.
Precision and speed mainly.
And the predictive dictionary is better, especially when Italian is used.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I *still* don't understand why people choose iPhones purely because of iMessage, or reject Android because it doesn't have it. So far as I'm aware, iMessage is just a built-in messaging app which uses data. There are several similar cross-platform apps freely available and as for security, who says that iMessage is any more secure than anything else? If you're putting nuclear missile launch codes into any messaging app then I would consider that a rash thing to do. What time to arrive for dinner, and who is collecting the kids etc is hardly information which requires the utmost privacy.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/05/imessage-facetime-most-secure-messaging-options/

IMessage and Facetime are the most secure mass market messaging solutions, and no it has nothing to do with talking about nuclear codes or anything like that, end to end encryption , other security measures that I and millions of people like and appreciate very much, these are multi billion dollar corporations and we are using their services and they cant afford to have these services secure?

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/05/imessage-facetime-most-secure-messaging-options/

IMessage and Facetime are the most secure mass market messaging solutions, and no it has nothing to do with talking about nuclear codes or anything like that, end to end encryption , other security measures that I and millions of people like and appreciate very much, these are multi billion dollar corporations and we are using their services and they cant afford to have these services secure?

I think his point was that he feels iPhone users get iPhones as they have iMessage. I can't see that. Good to have though. I'm not sure many Apple users know about security levels of messaging or iMessage. Again, nice to know.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I don't use swype because more often than not it gets the word wrong. Then I need to delete it which ends up being a huge waste of time. Am I using it wrong?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The biggest difference to me is the ecosystem. I have an android phone too, and to me, apps just don't feel as polished on Android. If you take any app which is available on both iOS and Android and use them side-by-side, the android version always feels like an afterthought.

And then there's the weird OEM customisations. Almost every android phone I've used has had a different keyboard, different home screen layout, etc. This isn't android's fault, it's the OEMs (for example, LG had actually removed the default google keyboard and installed their own keyboard instead). When I get a new phone I don't want to have to uninstall bloatware (some of which on my LG isn't removable!) to get it back to stock. When my partner reboots her phone, she goes into settings and closes things like YouTube, which Samsung decided should run at boot - why!? That's not the experience I want.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I think his point was that he feels iPhone users get iPhones as they have iMessage. I can't see that. Good to have though. I'm not sure many Apple users know about security levels of messaging or iMessage. Again, nice to know.

it's not a deal breaker by any means, but I find iMessage and Facetime to be extremely convinient and way better then using something like Skype or so.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I *still* don't understand why people choose iPhones purely because of iMessage, or reject Android because it doesn't have it. So far as I'm aware, iMessage is just a built-in messaging app which uses data. There are several similar cross-platform apps freely available and as for security, who says that iMessage is any more secure than anything else? If you're putting nuclear missile launch codes into any messaging app then I would consider that a rash thing to do. What time to arrive for dinner, and who is collecting the kids etc is hardly information which requires the utmost privacy.

Its not a big enoug factor to be a defining reason but the advantage that iMessage has over the alternatives is that it's built into the default messaging app. It doesn't require downloading a third party app and telling everyone that you know to also download these apps. It's built in and defaults to SMS/MMS people who don't have iPhones. Most people couldn't be bothered to download a separate app to do what the default app can already do.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
iPhone 6, is it worth 150-200% the price of Android high-end phones?

It is especially handy for international travelers. T-Mobile has global roaming. I'll be overseas in a couple of days. Apac and Emea. So long as my friends and family have iMessage we can text away no additional charge. I love T-Mobile. I like iMessage.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
it's not a deal breaker by any means, but I find iMessage and Facetime to be extremely convinient and way better then using something like Skype or so.

I agree. Wife was in China recently for 2 months. Skype was just ok,. WeChat was just ok. Facetime worked nicely. This is ADSL broadband here in NZ, 16/0.9 mbit for me in NZ, wifes wasnt great as in apartment in Wuhan. Pretty darn good given all that

I find that with Apple I am not being blown away by "Insanely Great" stuff, but there is a lot of little cool stuff that works well. Polished as many say, and integrated well IMO

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
I think the OP should get an iPhone 5s. Or wait some more until the iphone 6 prices come down.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The one I appreciate more is the keyboards implemented in Windows phone 8.1

Imho far better than iOS or Android.

Agreed. As silly as it is, I like that it suggests emojis. I was so hopeful that iOS would do this too but... alas. I never tried Hungarian in WP8.1, so I can't speak for that, but English is phenomenal. Cortana also blows Siri out of the water even after so many years. I think if I had to pick between Cortana and the keyboard I would actually pick cortana.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Agreed. As silly as it is, I like that it suggests emojis. I was so hopeful that iOS would do this too but... alas. I never tried Hungarian in WP8.1, so I can't speak for that, but English is phenomenal. Cortana also blows Siri out of the water even after so many years. I think if I had to pick between Cortana and the keyboard I would actually pick cortana.

Cortana still is in a beta stage here in Italy, so I can't really judge it, but surely Microsoft keyboard is better than Android, iOS or Swype, even in Italian. Actually Swype in Italian is by far the worst I've never tried (while in English is acceptable).

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I think when the wife and I travel to visit her family in Brazil later this year, i'm going to buy two unlocked iPhone 6+ to take. We gonna use one while there and sell both before we leave. The profit should cover my beer costs for two weeks.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I think when the wife and I travel to visit her family in Brazil later this year, i'm going to buy two unlocked iPhone 6+ to take. We gonna use one while there and sell both before we leave. The profit should cover my beer costs for two weeks.

I think Brazil more or less is the worst place to buy an Apple product: it is very pricey there.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I doubt resale prices will increase now that it's Samsung and Google who are the primary innovators.

Apple is too busy putting the lions share of their profits into their cash hoard as opposed to R&D. It's understandable given Apple's high priority on bragging rights as the wealthiest company on earth.

They've spent the last few years convincing people it's not about the specs. It's about being cool, being seen with the coveted Apple logo and a very shiny metal phone...:)

and they're right its not about the specs. if spec junkies had it there way phones would have 8 cores, and 64gb ram and 1tb storages... and you know what that still wouldn't be enough to please them. I see the same type of people when it comes to new Macbook owners. 4-8gb ram is more than enough but people want 16 and 32gb ram.

I love how Apple is able to optimize its OS and chip to without the need for a *****load of ram. Androids require more ram and cpu power because its an open source free for all hack job of an OS. Android runs smooth without all the junk on top of it to make it look different. I won't even go into the poorly developed App's that require no review for memory leaks. Yeah keep throwing more specs at the problem. Samsung has a nasty color saturation photo problem screw fixing it throw more mega pixels at it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The bottom line is with whatsapp etc everyone can communicate no matter what platforms they are on.

With FaceTime or imessage anyone not on apple are locked out - translate to 80% of all smartphone users.

Use sms/mms? Are you joking? Many of the friends I know do not reside in same countries and paying international toll will bankrupt me.

If your circle of friends are all on iphone fine but if not then imessage or FaceTime are just useless junk.

Nothing is as seamless as Facetime/iMessage intergration. Its as simple as that. Many people in this world have iphones and so iMessage/Facetime is actually a huge convinience. But your a pro fandroid and so i understand where the slight jealously is coming from

I and 99% of people use SMS/MMS also, nobody here even understands your point here, all these messaging applications are on iOS aswell

Facetime is built right into the stock messaging app, the intergraion is better then any other messaging application

Facetime surely is not useless as I use it very often , as do millions of people do everyday. You just catch match the iMessage/FaceTime intergration it is as simple as that

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
and they're right its not about the specs. if spec junkies had it there way phones would have 8 cores, and 64gb ram and 1tb storages... and you know what that still wouldn't be enough to please them. I see the same type of people when it comes to new Macbook owners. 4-8gb ram is more than enough but people want 16 and 32gb ram.

I love how Apple is able to optimize its OS and chip to without the need for a *****load of ram. Androids require more ram and cpu power because its an open source free for all hack job of an OS. Android runs smooth without all the junk on top of it to make it look different. I won't even go into the poorly developed App's that require no review for memory leaks. Yeah keep throwing more specs at the problem. Samsung has a nasty color saturation photo problem screw fixing it throw more mega pixels at it.
Why not just be honest, admit you hate Android and will say anything true or false to bolster your hate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.