iPhone 6 is way too big (no not the plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBug2, Oct 10, 2014.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

I have upgraded my 4S to 6 recently and this is the most I've struggled to use a smartphone. Can't do almost anything with one hand, I constantly have to take my left hand off my hoodie pockets to do even basic tasks on this phone like changing tracks, typing, etc.

I really don't get why Apple couldn't just release a 3rd 4" size. I loved my 4S. This is a big step backwards.

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Get used to it, there wont be anymore small smartphones.

Or just get a 5S? still nice.

3. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

This is just stupid. Why did Apple have to follow the phablet craze? They did find the best size for a phone to use with the original iPhone. It was perfect. This is just less functional in almost any way.

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Apple would of been crucified if they didn't release a larger iphone.

The 5S is still very fast and has touch ID. Get a 5S it will last a while, we are getting to a point of performance where its diminishing returns anyway.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I loved mine, too. I honestly had a hard time adjusting to the feel of the 5s in my pocket. That extra height really annoyed me, especially since I don't feel the gain in screen real estate did all that much for me.

But I love my Plus. It's just a new and different experience. the IPhone 4 was my ideal size for the tasks I put it to at the time. Now that it's been retired, I do think the 6 and the Plus offer a much better screen experience that makes the trade off in size over the 4/4s worth it. I didn't feel that way about the 5.

Things I do now that would have been uncomfortable on the 5 and definitely the 4 are GPS navigation, reading reviews on products while in the store pondering a purchase, visiting with friends and family on FaceBook and sharing family photos and videos in person with elder members of the family. The Plus makes a very lovely photo viewer. The regular 6 is pretty nice at that, too.

Give it some thought and see if there are new uses you can put the more generous display of the 6 to. Good luck with your upgrade decisions.

6. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Get a 5S and your problem is solved.

Apple has them. In their stores. There are hundreds of them.

BJ

7. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

That's not really a solution though. I won't be able to use 5S forever either. Eventually I'll have to switch to this size, it seems.

8. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Sure it's a solution. You'll get at least 2 more years out of a 5S which runs iOS8 quite nicely. And by that time perhaps Apple or another phone manufacturer will create a smaller phone for people who need one-handed operation.

BJ

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's not really all that hard to adjust to the new screen sizes. You just need to give it some time. My wife loved her 4S but doesn't have any issue with the iPhone 6.

The first couple of days I had my iPhone 6 Plus, I almost took it back but now I love it! It would be very hard to migrate back to a smaller screen.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have large hands, and the 6 is much more comfortable for me than the 5s was.

Everyone has different needs. I suggest getting the 5s so you'll be set for quite a few years to come.

I will say, my wife just came from the 4s and got the 6. She hated using mine for the few weeks I had one before she got one, but now that she's using hers, she has gotten used to it and in fact really likes it.

11. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

You are in the minority, man. The world wanted bigger phones.

12. scottw324 macrumors 6502

And yet again......the most important part of your statement is left out........"for me". The "iPhone 6 is way to big (no not the plus) for me"

You realize that the world doesn't revolve around you and your abilities to manipulate an electronic device with one hand, right? I have a 6+ and I can do quite a bit with just one hand such has change a track that I am listening to, scroll through an read the Feedly app, Safari, etc... The Android guys have been doing it for awhile with 4.7" phones and larger. It does take a little time to get used to, especially if you are still using a 3.5" screened 4S. I came from a iP5 to the 6+. It took a little getting used to it but I can't imagine going back to a 4" phone, or a 3.5" phone for that matter. I use my iPad rMini now only to watch movies or TV shows. My iP6+ is what I use for everything else now. When I had the iP5 it was opposite since I hated reading websites on the small screen.

To each their own.

13. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

You realise I never said Apple should discontinue the 6 and 6 Plus right? I just asked why couldn't they continue the 4" form factor.

14. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

15. rmhop81, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you obviously don't upgrade very often as you skipped the 5 and 5s completely. so the jump to the 6 is gonna be even bigger if you had a 3.5 inch phone.

get a 5s and quit complaining.

I have a hard time even wondering how I used my iphone 5 for so long...but iPhone 4? how did i do anything on that phone!

16. scottw324 macrumors 6502

So the iP5C or 5S or a used iP5 are too big for you? Because last I checked the still make two of those three and you can probably pick up a used iP5. hell I have one sitting around as a spare phone at the moment since I didn't sell it yet.

The 5 models weren't that much larger than the 4S. So they are your option at this time for a smaller iPhone if you don't think you can do the iP6. As many have said though, if you give it some time, you will adapt to it and then wonder how you used your small 3.5" screened phone before.

17. af21187 macrumors 6502

Market demanded bigger phones, thats what they delivered. They still have 2 4" phone on the market (5c and 5s). As of right now, they are continuing the 4" form factor. You make it sound like they were completely discontinued. Get a 5S and wait for the 6 to be the new low-end phone, I am sure they will design a new 4" phone for people like you, provided the market is there.

18. shawndc1 macrumors regular

i feel your pain, i have the 5s and the 6 and feel like the 6 will be sold shortly its to big for me, i like the 5s size, wish they wouldve made a 6 in that size...i agree apple had to make bigger screens and its def paying off for them.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. For me, I find the 4.7 to be the ideal size. It looks like you can get a 5s or give it more time to get used to the 4.7 inch screen.

20. shawndc1 macrumors regular

my friend still has the 4s, and i say the same thing i cant believe i had such a small screen and paid all that money for it lol its a huge difference

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i have a 6 plus....but looking back at a 3.5 screen and i'm in total disbelief that i used it for so many years. we have definitely been missing out on the big screen madness for sure!

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Is no one else enjoying the hoodie pockets statement?

Just wait until warmer weather, OP. Problem solved.

23. itjw macrumors 65816

The 5S is the solution. Otherwise you are out of options.

I agree that smaller is better, and should at least be an option, but I have ZERO sway with Apple, and so I know better than to complain about something that isn't going to change.

The hypocrisy of it all (when Apple was proclaiming 4" was the "perfect" screen size barely a year ago) isn't lost on me either, but it is what it is.

The 5S will serve you better than the 4S did for at LEAST 2 years. If at that point you want a smaller phone, you'll probably be out of luck.

24. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I second this. I'm in love with my 6+ and I can't believe how absolutely tiny the 4 and 5 are compared to it.

25. nilk, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

nilk macrumors 6502a

I have medium-sized hands, and I'm going through similar growing pains with the 4S -> 6. Only on day two of use, though. I was able to comfortably and securely do everything one-handed on 3.5" iPhones, including pinch-to-zoom.

I'm hoping getting a thin, grippy case will make a difference for one-handed use (like the Apple Silicone case).

Two-handed usage, especially in landscape mode, is great, though. My two-handed typing accuracy has improved (both portrait and landscape). And it fits in my pockets fine.

So I will get a better case, and give it some time. I'm sure I'll adjust, but, if I don't, I'll actually start looking at Android phones as there is still enough diversity that there are some smaller options. Though these options aren't popular, and they still appear to be mostly larger than 4 inches.