iPhone 6 Plus slightly bent after 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
I wonder when MacRumors will jump on this story. I'm guessing they really want to -- a lot of news outless will pick it up and link to the site -- but they probably want to to wait for a few more users reporting bending first.

But I have a feeling this is very close to blowing up big time. Apple PR is probably in crisis mode right now, figuring out how to handle this once it goes mainsteam.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Just tested my iPad on my countertop. No wobble. iPhone 6 plus. Wobble. It's very slight and can hardly see it but I guess it's there. When I do the darkroom test, there is viable light from the bottom right corner sticking up. Again it's only a hair but it's definitely there. Friend just got his phone this evening, no wobble.

Hate that I have to now be careful with the phone as the Note 3 didnt get a second thought of going in the front pocket for over a year. Sigh. Gonna try not to stress about it too much.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
I wonder when MacRumors will jump on this story. I'm guessing they really want to -- a lot of news outless will pick it up and link to the site -- but they probably want to to wait for a few more users reporting bending first.

But I have a feeling this is very close to blowing up big time. Apple PR is probably in crisis mode right now, figuring out how to handle this once it goes mainsteam.
No, it's not blowing up. Because there is nothing wrong with the phones.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
There are 4 groups of owners when it comes to this topic.

1) Fanboys. 'You abused it! You deserve a bent phone for being a total moron!'. 'Nothing Apple makes could ever have any issues Broseph!'

2) No See-ums. 'Mines not bent so its not an issue'

3) Dude. 'the phone bent while just using it normally. Didn't sit on it, didn't abuse it'.' Dude this sucks'.

4) Yeppers. 'Yep, it's thin 6061 non-tempered aluminum. It's not if it will bend, it's when'.

The only solution is to get a stiff case or keep it in the Radio Shack Geek belt holster.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Once again, linking back here. Non issue
No, it's not blowing up. Because there is nothing wrong with the phones.
Hey Mr Apologist, you realise that the iPhone 6 and 6+ just got released 3 days ago?

While I'm also an Apple fan and have my iphone 6 is on order, I hope that this is a non issue and will not become widespread, because I will hate that I need to use my phone like a fragile item and possibly need to defend my purchase in front of folks telling me I bought a badly designed device!

But being ignorant about something potentially very serious is not helping at all and is kind of stupid. We have also a lot of people already being concerned about "micro-bents" without posting pictures...

...iPhone 6 plus. Wobble. It's very slight and can hardly see it but I guess it's there. When I do the darkroom test, there is viable light from the bottom right corner sticking up. Again it's only a hair but it's definitely there. Friend just got his phone this evening, no wobble. ...

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
4 people out of 300 have this issue.
If that is the case it still adds up pretty quick though:

4 out of 300
400 out of 30.000
40.000 out of 3.000.000 <- Now that is a lot of angry customers and will surely get media attention

I don't think we will see the real numbers of bent phones until people have had their phones for a few weeks though (and worn it in their pocket for many many hours). I am surprised that it has happened to some people so fast - we are just days from launch and several people in the tiny pond that MacRumors is (compared to the real world) are already experiencing it.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hey Mr Apologist, you realise that the iPhone 6 and 6+ just got released 3 days ago?

While I'm also an Apple fan and have my iphone 6 is on order, I hope that this is a non issue and will not become widespread, because I will hate that I need to use my phone like a fragile item and possibly need to defend my purchase in front of folks telling me I bought a badly designed device!

But being ignorant about something potentially very serious is not helping at all and is kind of stupid. We have also a lot of people already being concerned about "micro-bents" without posting pictures...
Here is a youtube link to a video to see how much it moves http://youtu.be/DcRP9mTVYfk

Here you can see the corner I'm talking about.

No real bend here.

I am in love with this phone. I've loved apple ever since the first phone came out. Left after the 5 because I wanted a bigger screen. I am not defending apple here. Again, no abnormal use. Never thought about my Note 3 getting bent. Sad that I have to be careful now.

Phone goes in cradle when in car.
Its still hot in Florida so its in shorts front pockets, nothing else in said pocket.
No running, jumping, squatting, etc.
Three full days of normal activity, nothing that should have caused this.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'm sorry, the iPhone isn't a phone? Wow, I missed that memo. Silly me.

I'm an Apple fan like everybody here, but the people defending Apple are pathetic. My friend has a Note 3, and guess how many times it's bent in his pocket? Never. Apple used aluminum, which is a pretty soft metal. Hell, I've seen people with bent MacBook Pros.

I have a Plus, and I now know I need to be a little more careful with it, which I figured since it's got a larger surface area of screen to break.
Do you have a friend with a bent iPhone 6?

If your criteria for one is a selection of one person, so must your criteria for the other.

Failed statistics class?

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Here is a youtube link to a video to see how much it moves http://youtu.be/DcRP9mTVYfk
Thanks a lot mate! The video shows very much that there is a problem and while this doesn't look too bad at the moment, I would be concerned that this is how it starts and it might get worst over time...

If you would just continue using it in a normal way, we could see if it gets worst in the next days and after let Apple replace it.

-----------

Another quality issue coming up which might be related to the bent issue (or not).

http://youtu.be/fSu3uU4OuIA
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6551780

Last edited:

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
If that is the case it still adds up pretty quick though:

4 out of 300
400 out of 30.000
40.000 out of 3.000.000 <- Now that is a lot of angry customers and will surely get media attention

I don't think we will see the real numbers of bent phones until people have had their phones for a few weeks though (and worn it in their pocket for many many hours). I am surprised that it has happened to some people so fast - we are just days from launch and several people in the tiny pond that MacRumors is (compared to the real world) are already experiencing it.
Number of phones sold in first days : 10 million

If it were really an issue we would know by more than 3 users or even more than 10 throughout the web

Oh God it was an example based on the number or replies not those who don't respond. If you really want to be realistic like you just mentioned , macrumors iPhone 6 forums at its peak had 9000 people, assuming 7000 have iPhone 6 that is 3 out of 7000 which correlates to 0.04% of macrumors iPhone 6 owners which account to 4000 out of 10 MILLION iPhones. Statistically insignificant but because human psychology is always attracted to the negative of something new rather than the positive, you will get a bigger impact on 400 bent iPhones out of 10 million.

So yes . Right now it is statistically insignificant

raven69david

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
I put my 6+ in the back of my Hollister Skinny jeans and I have no issues. Used it for 3 days without any problems using Hollister shorts and skinny jeans. Sitting on it without a case is asking for trouble. Take it out of your pocket and/or put it in a case.

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Could this damage possibly be from assembly? I'm interested to really see if this is from the phone being used as a kickstand or just a issue caused by improper assembly

antnard1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
+1!

I got a regular 6 tonight and found that it was bent right out of the box. Definitely was a manufacturing issue in my case. The screen was separated from the rear shell a little bit on the left edge near the lower volume button.

I just noticed that you could see a shadow under the screen where the bend started:
http://i.imgur.com/zqH3oji.jpg?1

Here's a super interesting video of some wobble action:
http://youtu.be/P83S09JVZx4

I took it right back to the Apple store and they replaced it on the spot, no questions asked. Really happy and my new one is perfect.

stbrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
This same thing happened with the iPhone 5..it affected very few people. I carried my iPhone 5 in my pocket all the time and it never had an issue and i never used a case. So far with my iPhone 6 no problems as expected

PD13

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Just found this thread and wanted to share my experience so far.. less than 12 hours after having my phone, lightly bumped into someone with my phone in my pocket. This was the case I had on it.

Edit*
This is was the after effects were. The glass didn't crack, but the LCD did. Apple is replacing it for me, thankfully.
http://imgur.com/vC6jpHy

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Just found this thread and wanted to share my experience so far.. less than 12 hours after having my phone, lightly bumped into someone with my phone in my pocket. This was the case I had on it. Image
Edit*
This is was the after effects were. The glass didn't crack, but the LCD did. Apple is replacing it for me, thankfully.
http://imgur.com/vC6jpHy
Exactly how light was the bump? It looks like you were running full speed in the dark and hit a thigh high concrete barrier. At least that's what I hope you did because if it was truly a light bump these things are Fragile with a capital F.

PD13

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Lightly bumped? Are you Hercules?
Yes, lightly bumped and no, not Hercules. I can't think of a good comparison to give you a better idea of what kind of force I'm talking about, but it definitely didn't constitute causing that kind of damage.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Lightly bumped? Are you Hercules?

I agree light bump? Maybe but those must have been some skinny jeans you were wearing. That kind of bent is just crazy. Even then that kind of damage while in a case is not convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.