Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepGuy57

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Newsflash: most expensive things require more care, not less. True story.

You are still talking about a smart phone, right? Other than cleaning my sweaty finger prints off the screen with my tee shirt once in a while what do you mean by care for? Any what's that got to do with the cost?

blueiphone5c

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Good ol' US of A
Does an iPhone 5c get bent?

Hello. I just registered so apologies.

I always have my iphone 5c (5 months) in my front left pocket like OP I believe. It has never gotten bent and yes, I have a case. Is it because mine is plastic?

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Nsite, I'm not sure you and I can get on the same page (or close) if we don't have the fundamental agreement that the 6+ could have been made just as thin, and look very close to, if not exactly the same, yet have more structural integrity. I firmly believe this, and I suspect, but don't want to put words in your mouth, that you do not believe that this feat is possible.

I reread my comments from a point of view that the iPhone cannot be made to be stronger yet retain it's look and thinness, and I can see where you're coming from, so, my bad for assuming you/others would know what I was thinking.

Either way, I honestly do not have the time to prove the possibility to you, but I'm sure you'll be convinced when the 6S+ comes out next year, though that will be too late to contribute to our disagreement.

For what it's worth, I have absolutely no problem with anyone buying a 6+; I'm considering it myself.

Hydrocoded

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
really cause I could punch my computer monitor and break pretty easily but I'm not.

The amount of videos that show people bending is ridiculous. I'm sure if they measured the amount of force they were using to bend them it would far exceed anything experienced in someones pocket, let alone not being able to feel that pressure. get over it.

Not really. For anyone who isn't a desk jockey the amount of force they use is relatively small. The force I can apply with my thumbs is substantially less than the force of my full bodyweight bearing down on the phone in my pocket while doing any one of a number of outdoor activities (I'm a geologist).

My 4s has survived 3 years without a scratch, due in part to an otterbox. Like I said before, I even have had an iphone-shapd bruise on my thigh, and the phone survived unscathed.

Maybe it won't snap in half in my pocket, but a slight bend is a really big deal. Even with an otterbox I'm unconvinced it will be sufficiently strong, and with the note 4 coming out in two weeks... I dunno. They might lose me :\

This level of quality is unacceptable from apple. Aluminum is a garbage metal unless alloyed and I'm not going to pay additional money for a weaker phone. I love the apple iPhone, but this generation seems unworthy of the brand. Thin is less important than strong for me, fashion is less important than function, and cost is less important than quality.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
This is a device that can easily be damaged just by dropping it a few feet onto a hard surface. There's a good reason most people would not hand their iPhone to a small child without having a ridiculously bulky protective case on it.

If you're looking for a rugged, durable device that you can beat the crap out of, this ain't the one for you. Far more people are going to shatter their screens than unintentionally bend their phones.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Maybe it won't snap in half in my pocket, but a slight bend is a really big deal. Even with an otterbox I'm unconvinced it will be sufficiently strong, and with the note 4 coming out in two weeks... I dunno. They might lose me :\

This level of quality is unacceptable from apple. Aluminum is a garbage metal unless alloyed and I'm not going to pay additional money for a weaker phone. I love the apple iPhone, but this generation seems unworthy of the brand. Thin is less important than strong for me, fashion is less important than function, and cost is less important than quality.

If you want a cell phone that literally cannot be intentionally bent or broken with the human hand then you should probably look elsewhere, yes. The vast majority of consumers will never have this issue.

JeepGuy57

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Do you not see apples angle here? A phone is a piece of art or decoration to be admired, it's no different except it's a piece of technology we have with us constantly that does more than simply telling us the time now. Why do you think people spend hundreds, thousands on watches? It's a matter of appreciation and perspective. And some watches are far more durable than the more expensive counterparts, but that doesn't make them more enjoyable to wear, or appreciate. .

High end watches are also an investment and will last literally 100s of years, made from jewels, gold, etc.

An iPhone is a consumer electronic gadget that most people replace every couple of years. I may be wrong but I kinda think Apple likes this ;) Some people are careful with them and may try to sell their old phone eBay, others are just happy they didn't drop them and break the screen before their 2 year upgrade runs out.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
You are still talking about a smart phone, right? Other than cleaning my sweaty finger prints off the screen with my tee shirt once in a while what do you mean by care for? Any what's that got to do with the cost?

Really? So by the same token you don't mind where your kids are going before they leave the house? Or practice some vigilance as to what dangers might possibly come their way?

To care for is to pay attention to. It means I'm not going to stick a huge phone in my back pocket and sit on it, or try and bend it, or run with it, play sports with it, keep it for long prolonged periods of time in my pocket or sleep with it. It means I will be more cautious when and where I use it.

It is a 950 dollar phone after all, that 'I' chose for its size and it's thin-ness, and screen, os and design. Key word: I chose.

I don't take my MacBook Pro to the beach and tap away in the sand, so I probably won't take a phone that barely fits into my pockets and force it to do so-

I may not ever really put it in my pockets when I'm sitting at all.

You see, I'm an adult. I understand if I want a more 'realistic every day device' a super thin super large screen isn't my best choice. I should probably buy a smaller, thicker phone.

But I wanted the big screen, I wanted the super cool look, and awesome feel: I wanted a longer battery and a better camera. Basically I wanted the slickest looking and performing 5.5 inch cell that appealed to me. This one did. And I have to take a little more 'care' of it JeepGuy.

But I guess some people do just let their kids do whatever they want and run into busy intersections. When they get hit by cars they of course blame the driver.

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
By your argument a Mont Blanc is just an overpriced bic. And that's because you feel a pen is just a pen. If something else can do at the very basic level its intention then they are equals. A watch should be a watch, car a car, phone a phone. But
A watch is meant to tell time. Big difference between a Casio and a Rolex. The problem is you feel everyone should inherently value a 'cell phone' the way you do.

It's common knowledge that a phone has replaced for the majority of people the watch- history's time telling piece of 'personal expression' used to serve a purpose and be adorned and enjoyed by its owner.

Do you not see apples angle here? A phone is a piece of art or decoration to be admired, it's no different except it's a piece of technology we have with us constantly that does more than simply telling us the time now. Why do you think people spend hundreds, thousands on watches? It's a matter of appreciation and perspective. And some watches are far more durable than the more expensive counterparts, but that doesn't make them more enjoyable to wear, or appreciate.

Hey if it bothers you so much to have a phone you 'might' need to be a little careful with, for God sakes go buy one that won't bend, and move on. This phone wasn't meant for you anyways.

Well what bothers me is Apple isn't exchanging the phones based on this defect. That is not a small problem and it shows a total lack of respect for the customer.

Now with regards to your comment about a Rolex. In addition to looking very nice, and having a premium feel, the Rolex has longevity. There are still Rolexes from 1920 running around. In fact, to maintain it in good condition, Rolex recommends you wear it on a daily basis:
http://www.timerocks.com/watch_care.cfm

By suggesting to not carry it in your pocket, you are suggesting the exact opposite of what Rolex is recommending.

If Apple wants to be in the same category as Rolex, then Apple is going to need to make their products last a very long time as well. If a number of people are complaining of bending in 5 days, that suggests this phone is not meant to last a very long time.

scanf

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
WOW, what a bunch of angst here today!

i don't post here much but i don't see the problem.

1) if you are an apple loyalist/fanboy/fangirl - let people be entitled to their opinions as consumers! there's no harm in creating awareness of a POSSIBLE structural flaw in a company's product

2) if you are anti-apple or have strong feelings about the quality of apple's newest product - voice your opinion, but let the loyalists stand firmly behind their blessed company! if their respective phones bend, they'll then have to reconsider their position on the matter - or they won't. simple! you WILL NOT CHANGE THEIR MINDS EVER... E.V.E.R.

3) if apple have only received 9 complaints so far, i don't imagine it will be too troublesome to replace those phones for free. i mean it's clearly just a bad batch or something, so no big deal. small price to keep customers happy!

but hey, don't let me stop you guys from engaging in any futile arguments here! the internet wouldn't be the same without it! :)

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Well what bothers me is Apple isn't exchanging the phones based on this defect. That is not a small problem and it shows a total lack of respect for the customer.

I don't know what this is based on, but would you call a shattered screen due to dropping a "defect"?

If Apple wants to be in the same category as Rolex, then Apple is going to need to make their products last a very long time as well. If a number of people are complaining of bending in 5 days, that suggests this phone is not meant to last a very long time.

Apple is not trying to build a phone that will last for several years or decades.

Hydrocoded

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
This is your matter of opinion. Newsflash: most expensive things require more care, not less. True story.

That is highly subjective. I get what you're saying in regards to it being an artistic or jewelry item... and if that's what it was marketed as that's fine. I think it's as idiotic as most functionless jewelry, but nevertheless that is accurate.

However, I take issue with the implied correlation between expense and care. My Rolex is expensive, and yet I regularly take it scuba diving, rock climbing, etc, and aside from the expected scuffs it has been working flawlessly for the last 9 years. The crystal is actual optical sapphire, and it is still as clear as the day I got it, despite having taken rocks to the face.

Furthermore, other items also break your implied trend. My Glock 21 is extremely durable, but my Les Baer 1911, which cost 5 times as much, is far more durable. My Falcon Northwest is more durable than my Asus. My x5 is more durable than my mustang. My expensive furniture is more durable than the flimsy stuff I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Need I continue?

My point is this; you get what you buy, not what you pay for. If you want to purchase durability, then you can spend money on durability. If you want to purchase semi-functional eye candy, then you can spend money on some amazingly pretty eye candy. That's the beauty of a free market, that's the beauty of capitalism. You can choose, and so can I.

I am not going to choose to purchase a product which, according to my personal standards, is inferior. At the moment I'm not even purchasing anything at all, I'm sticking with my 4s.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Now with regards to your comment about a Rolex. In addition to looking very nice, and having a premium feel, the Rolex has longevity. There are still Rolexes from 1920 running around. In fact, to maintain it in good condition, Rolex recommends you wear it on a daily basis:

By suggesting to not carry it in your pocket, you are suggesting the exact opposite of what Rolex is recommending.

How in the world are you comparing a Rolex to an iPhone. #1 a Rolex is a watch, #2 its way more expensive, 3# Carrying a device as big as an iphone 6+ in your pocket with pressure may bend it.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
So putting a ******** phone in your front pocket is treating it like crap?

Delusion.

No, putting it in your back pocket and sitting on it while driving is.....putting it in your front pocket if it's too tight or the pockets are too small is.......its a massive phone, if you don't have big deep loose pockets then you're an idiot for putting it in there.....it's worth a shed load of money!!! I always either have it on my desk, have it on the sofa next to me, or if I go out I will make sure I either wear deep pockets, or find some other way of carrying it.....end of the day it's a massive phone and if u can't handle it then you should trade it in for a smaller one.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
That is highly subjective. I get what you're saying in regards to it being an artistic or jewelry item... and if that's what it was marketed as that's fine. I think it's as idiotic as most functionless jewelry, but nevertheless that is accurate.

However, I take issue with the implied correlation between expense and care. My Rolex is expensive, and yet I regularly take it scuba diving, rock climbing, etc, and aside from the expected scuffs it has been working flawlessly for the last 9 years. The crystal is actual optical sapphire, and it is still as clear as the day I got it, despite having taken rocks to the face.

Furthermore, other items also break your implied trend. My Glock 21 is extremely durable, but my Les Baer 1911, which cost 5 times as much, is far more durable. My Falcon Northwest is more durable than my Asus. My x5 is more durable than my mustang. My expensive furniture is more durable than the flimsy stuff I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Need I continue?

My point is this; you get what you buy, not what you pay for. If you want to purchase durability, then you can spend money on durability. If you want to purchase semi-functional eye candy, then you can spend money on some amazingly pretty eye candy. That's the beauty of a free market, that's the beauty of capitalism. You can choose, and so can I.

I am not going to choose to purchase a product which, according to my personal standards, is inferior. At the moment I'm not even purchasing anything at all, I'm sticking with my 4s.

"My Glock 21 is extremely durable, but my Les Baer 1911, which cost 5 times as much, is far more durable."

wow really?

----------

No, putting it in your back pocket and sitting on it while driving is.....putting it in your front pocket if it's too tight or the pockets are too small is.......its a massive phone, if you don't have big deep loose pockets then you're an idiot for putting it in there.....it's worth a shed load of money!!! I always either have it on my desk, have it on the sofa next to me, or if I go out I will make sure I either wear deep pockets, or find some other way of carrying it.....end of the day it's a massive phone and if u can't handle it then you should trade it in for a smaller one.

You're talking about not even storing the phone in your pocket and wearing different clothes just for a phone, that's absolute hilarious.

It's not like people reporting bends are sitting with it in their back pocket or wearing pants that cut off blood circulation, the op had dress pants on.

Do you expect people to take the phone out of their pocket all the time? When they sit, when they run, when they go to the store, when they use the bathroom, etc.? I habitually take my phone out when I'm driving sometimes but other times I don't, my phone shouldn't permanently bend from being in my front pocket.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I think the media attention has been good and bad. Bad because as a shareholder prospective buyers might delay a purchase or purchase a lower margin model or forgo Apple altogether. Especially when it comes to the casual smartphone buyer vs. us Apple die-hards.

Good because it has drawn attention to the fact that this is a larger for phone (phablet) and shouldnt be placed into small places. So the behavioral change will result in fewer bent phone issues.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014

Astute point. But I'm not saying that Apple is trying to be exactly like Rolex. I'm saying that consumers focus on different things when purchasing gear and that should be acceptable. I'm saying apple chooses to focus on design and engineering aspects of their producf with a focus on beauty and consistent OS functionability.

I'm saying that a 5.5 inch phone is far bigger than a normal phone and therefor is bound to have some sacrifices. It does make and receive calls, no question. But is it extremely different than a standard cell phone? You bet.

The first thing I thought of when I saw these phone is 'wow that baby is thin, I'm going to have to be much more careful with that if I decide to buy it.'

Anyone who doesn't have this response when seeing something that thin? They don't understand what they're buying.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011

Did you actually know that you possessed such a "personal standard" (regarding the bend-ability of a cell phone under intentional pressure) until you read one person's account of this on the internet or saw a video of someone intentionally trying to damage this phone?

The number of small, expensive consumer items that cannot be intentionally damaged is pretty small. I'm fairly certain that every cell phone I've ever owned could be broken with bare hands.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014

Need I continue?

I think we are on the exact same page. I respect your opinion and fully agree with all of it. Rare thing for me to say too.

But that is precisely right.

I agree there are caveats to buying this phone.
For me they don't concern or bother me enough to prevent me from doing so.

And I loved your examples. Spot on.

Hydrocoded

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
jeez no need to be rude I was just wondering because I am interested in owning a gun and hear everything about glocks I didn't expect an old 1911 to be more durable

Sorry, did not mean to be rude, but I took your comment as being rude. My mistake, and I apologize.

Glocks are incredible. The only reason my Les Baer is more durable is because it is 100% steel. I should say this: I have NEVER had a Glock break. Not once. I have been a gun enthusiast for the better part of a decade and Glocks are incredible pistols.

That's off topic, however, so I'll leave this issue be, but I felt like you deserved a response.

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
I don't know what this is based on, but would you call a shattered screen due to dropping a "defect"?

To an extent, yes I do, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous that my Nokia phone from 10 years ago is more durable than a phone today. My iPod from 10 years ago is also more durable than many phones today. Despite having more movable parts.

I also think it ridiculous that with every generation of phone, the phones are becoming more fragile.

Phones are expected to drop. Its part of life with a mobile product. You trip, you fall, your phone slips out of your hand, something happens.

Of course Apple isn't the only one guilty here of this problem. But I am not gonna allow companies to continue sliding on quality control.

Hydrocoded

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Did you actually know that you possessed such a "personal standard" (regarding the bend-ability of a cell phone under intentional pressure) until you read one person's account of this on the internet or saw a video of someone intentionally trying to damage this phone?

The number of small, expensive consumer items that cannot be intentionally damaged is pretty small. I'm fairly certain that every cell phone I've ever owned could be broken with bare hands.

Fair question.

My concern isn't about intentional breakage, but more about the flex the phone exhibits when subjected to lateral stress. As I have mentioned, I lead an active, outdoor lifestyle and falling down, landing in the rocks/mud/dirt/etc on my face is something which happens somewhat regularly. Getting smacked in the thighs by something while climbing, nudging a heavy piece of equipment into a truck, etc.

I'm concerned that a 6+ or a 6 would slowly accumulate slight bends over time, which would eventually lead to catastrophic failure... as well as the obvious aesthetic problems.

I have been drooling over the 6+ since it was announced, and I specifically skipped the 5s, etc, in order to await the 6. I really, really want to stay with apple, but I'm extremely concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.