Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
He's not comparing two blocks of materials, he is comparing two phones.
When you buy a car, do you care about the exact mix of steel used in its engine? No, you care about design, about features, about performance...
When you take a plane, to you care about the particular brand of aluminum used? No, all you care about is that the wings will stay attached to the plane and will not bend...
When you buy a toilet seat, do you care about the precise brand of ceramic used or about what kind of steel was used to reinforce it? Nope. Unless you're an extremely obsessive individual, you just care that it won't crumble under you when you sit on it...

That's the same with a phone. You buy a phone based on its design, performance, application ecosystem, operating system... You don't care about the material. Picking the right material for the normal use of a phone is the burden of the manufacturer, not of the customer.
What the customer might care about is knowing if phone A is more resilient than phone B. How this resilience is achieved, whether it's through choice of material or layering of several materials or structure is really of no concern to the customer...

The problem is that you're looking at the whole problem with fanboy glasses. The issue is not too give a good mark for efforts to your favorite brand, whether it's Apple or Samsung. Only shareholder, employees or insane people care about that. The customer just doesn't give a damn about efforts, he just wants results. The issue is just to determine if a phone is fit for normal use or not.

what are you talking about???

this guy is doing a test of strenght.

strenght is about the materials used in the product.

not about anything else.

since the phones are made of two very different materials you can't really compare.

it would be like comparing a Volvo to a Smart Car......

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
He's not comparing two blocks of materials, he is comparing two phones.

When you buy a car, do you care about the exact mix of steel used in its engine? No, you care about design, about features, about performance...

When you take a plane, to you care about the particular brand of aluminum used? No, all you care about is that the wings will stay attached to the plane and will not bend...

When you buy a toilet seat, do you care about the precise brand of ceramic used or about what kind of steel was used to reinforce it? Nope. Unless you're an extremely obsessive individual, you just care that it won't crumble under you when you sit on it...

That's the same with a phone. You buy a phone based on its design, performance, application ecosystem, operating system... You don't care about the material. Picking the right material for the normal use of a phone is the burden of the manufacturer, not of the customer.

What the customer might care about is knowing if phone A is more resilient than phone B. How this resilience is achieved, whether it's through choice of material or layering of several materials or structure is really of no concern to the customer...

The problem is that you're looking at the whole problem with fanboy glasses. The issue is not too give a good mark for efforts to your favorite brand, whether it's Apple or Samsung. Only shareholder, employees or insane people care about that. The customer just doesn't give a damn about efforts, he just wants results. The issue is just to determine if a phone is fit for normal use or not.

Sooooo Apples pention for design is never brought up in keynotes or critic reviews or even these forums? The first thing always mentioned with Samsung is its plastic feel and how it's not even in the ballpark in the design material used, closest phone to it is the htc one and its a huge selling point just like the iphone.. I think you need to get your head out of the sand.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Im wondering how may display models Apple stores are going to have to go through from people going into the store and trying to flex the 6 plus, lol

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
"I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;( "

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2287882

That forum is exactly like this one its hilarious. All you haters need to leave and stop the "apple made a poor design". People just break their stuff, simple as that. Jeez, I can't believe this was such big news, there's been no proof that Apple's design is flawed or that it'll bend in your pocket, Just a couple photos and videos of people intentionally breaking the phone. At least the iPhone keeps working after you bend it, all the other ones crack and break or they.

Anything Apple does is newsworthy. Nobody stands in line for the latest Samsung. Not that they don't make good phones, they do...but they just don't have the brand loyalty that Apple has built up over the years.

(Ok...they do stand in line...but much smaller lines. It's funny that Samsung makes fun of Apple customers for standing in line when you take this into consideration.)

Yesterday I was wearing dress slacks and put my iPhone 6 in my front pocket. :eek: It didn't bend. I also took it out whenever I sat down...but doubt I really had to.

----------

Im wondering how may display models Apple stores are going to have to go through from people going into the store and trying to flex the 6 plus, lol

I hope Apple catches them all on surveillance cameras. Nobody should be doing this in any store to any electronics. These people are scum.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
is it coincidental that the Note 4 release was pushed to today and all this news comes out this week.

And how many of these bent iphones may have possible been bent out of the box as an issue with manufacturing and not actually bent in peoples pockets, they just never thought to look at it until all this fuss was made.

How about instead of posting a video you take the phone to Apple, let them know, and perhaps, maybe just perhaps, they will replace the device for you.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
is it coincidental that the Note 4 release was pushed to today and all this news comes out this week.

And how many of these bent iphones may have possible been bent out of the box as an issue with manufacturing and not actually bent in peoples pockets, they just never thought to look at it until all this fuss was made.

How about instead of posting a video you take the phone to Apple, let them know, and perhaps, maybe just perhaps, they will replace the device for you.

I'm certain that Samsung seeing what Apple was about to release and seeing that just on the first launch batch they sold 10M they panicked and came up with this elusive plan of bending some phones and flooding the apple forums with it.

After that was just a case of getting some friendly journalists to run the story on mainstream sites and BAM bendgate is born!

not coincidence they planned the release of the new Note exactly at the end of this week and precisely the same week when the story broke,

Derpert

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
It's still funny that so many people think this is such a huge issue when in reality its the same damn pictures of the same phones over and over that are shown bent or its some guy claiming he is barely putting anything into it and it bends like he is controlling it with his mind, yet his hands are shaking while doing it.

Everyone thinks they are a reporter with social media today.

----------

(Its actually difficult to be rational in the response to this issue and not sound like a troll)

Anyway, what a load of cobblers those tests are lol.
"here is a video of us doing something to an iphone"

Seriously, Apple take you lot for a load of chumps.

I bet any engineer looking at that video is laughing at it.

wow look, you just joined this forum, no wonder you have nothing positive to say.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Understand this skanska...Someone ranted that is was only 2 that complained just yesterday, and now its 9. Give it more time, and more customers receiving the iPhone 6+ will weigh in or will complain directly to Apple since they may not know of this forum. Remember it just came out.

As far as the other ranter saying that no iPhone can bend while inside the front pockets. Where does it say it cannot ? Who gave him this authority of knowing this ? Tight front pockets, bending over, getting in and out of a car, chair and yes one MIGHT bend it over time. Not to mention bumping into something. Goodness, why can't some people understand, some have issues and they have every right to voice their anger and disappointment on this forum. You nut cases that rant about them don't you ? They have the same right. :p

9?

and this has already national and international coverage, your talking about presumably hundreds of thousands of iPhone 6+

and theres only 9 that came forward? what about all else? this isn't a big deal, and obviously apple will strengthen the aluminum or replace with liquid metal which they already have a license for.

lol how many PS3's were faulty around 10 years ago at launch?

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
iPhone 6 Plus slightly bent after 2 days

It's still funny that so many people think this is such a huge issue when in reality its the same damn pictures of the same phones over and over that are shown bent or its some guy claiming he is barely putting anything into it and it bends like he is controlling it with his mind, yet his hands are shaking while doing it.

Everyone thinks they are a reporter with social media today.

----------

wow look, you just joined this forum, no wonder you have nothing positive to say.

Your right all I have seen is photos of bent phones eather by doing it on purpose which you would expect any phone to do or ones that have been in a back pocket and sat on I that I would expect of it too. I am a vapour of ecig and I wouldn't put my expensive provari in my back pocket and sit on it its to expensive so to all those who put there iphone in there back pocket don't cos it will bend like any other device you put in there.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I bet any engineer looking at that video is laughing at it.

Nope. Materials engineer here. Those are very standard industry tests and if passed can give a reasonable indication that the average phone will be fairly durable. Obviously, there is no substitute for real world use, but viewing those tests makes me confident that they did a wide battery of testing on the phones before release and anticipated that this design might be more prone to bending. If a phone bent or deformed in those tests, they would have sent the design back for more reinforcement.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Nope. Materials engineer here. Those are very standard industry tests and if passed can give a reasonable indication that the average phone will be fairly durable. Obviously, there is no substitute for real world use, but viewing those tests makes me confident that they did a wide battery of testing on the phones before release and anticipated that this design might be more prone to bending. If a phone bent or deformed in those tests, they would have sent the design back for more reinforcement.
Also an engineer here. In my opinion, it's very likely that the engineers knew exactly where the weak points were prior to release, exactly why they are weak, and exactly how to improve the design.

Also, it's very likely that the engineers are not 100% happy with what had to be released (are they ever?? LOL). Due to schedule limitations (most likely), budget limitations, target cost limitations, promises/requirements to/from shareholders, marketing, management, etc with regards to design, thinness, cost, etc, they likely had to move forward with the best iteration that they had by the hard deadline.

This is not to say that they are not happy at all with what they produced. I'm sure they are -- it's beautiful in design and thinness, and I'm getting the impression that though the design appears to be weaker than other phones, it's overall weakness is being overblown.

Anyway, I would be willing to bet that they knew the phone is weaker than previous designs, wished they could improve it further, but due to limitations mentioned above, made the concsious and calculated decision that they believed it would stand up to real world usage to the point that it would not cause a major problem.

I'm not trying to say whether they were right or wrong in their assessment. I still believe we do not have enough information or data points to know for sure. It's clear that Apple tests the phones thoroughly (did anyone really think they didn't?), but the tests are only meant to replicate a repeatable version of "normal usage" and we were not provided with the data which led them to the test sets for what they call "normal".

The nature of the caused damaged being, allegedly, "real world usage", and therefore, being different for each individual, with some level of randomness in how often any given individual experiences a peak in the forces applied to the phone during their own normal usage, I feel that some users may happen to experience a slight bend very soon into ownership, while others might experience it after several weeks or months, if at all. It's a matter of waiting for the moment when the individual might experience a peak in the force applied that they still consider to be "normal", and whether or not that peak causes any damage (bending) to the phone. Time will tell if more bent phones surface as more people subject their phones to their own peak forces experienced by living their daily lives.

Not that any of you care, but if you want my opinion, I think we'll see more bent phones surface, probably more total bent phones than any other single phone model to date from any manufacturer, but the total number will still not be cause for alarm or any stir beyond the initial overblown assessment and comments/articles we've seen so far. Apple will quietly replace bent phones for users who have them, and this will go down in history as not as bad as antenna gate. People will learn to be even more careful with their phone than they thought they had to be, and the 6S+ will improve the rigidity.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

It's a calculated risk on Apples part. They needed to improve the older design. Make the screen larger and the body thinner and the phone lighter. Not may options in doing this. Use a plastic frame-nope. Not up to previous Apple standards. Use a stainless steel frame-as done in the 4/4S-nope. Too heavy. Use a tempered aluminum 7075-nope. Too expensive and harder to machine. Use a cheap 6061 non-tempered aluminum. Yep. Cheap, light, easy to machine. Bingo.

It's similar to Ford not spending the extra $12 in steel to reinforce the A and B pillars in it's cars and trucks to help prevent injuries due to the roof caving in on rollovers.

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Also an engineer here. In my opinion, it's very likely that the engineers knew exactly where the weak points were prior to release, exactly why they are weak, and exactly how to improve the design.

Also, it's very likely that the engineers are not 100% happy with what had to be released (are they ever?? LOL). Due to schedule limitations (most likely), budget limitations, target cost limitations, promises/requirements to/from shareholders, marketing, management, etc with regards to design, thinness, cost, etc, they likely had to move forward with the best iteration that they had by the hard deadline.

This is not to say that they are not happy at all with what they produced. I'm sure they are -- it's beautiful in design and thinness, and I'm getting the impression that though the design appears to be weaker than other phones, it's overall weakness is being overblown.

Anyway, I would be willing to bet that they knew the phone is weaker than previous designs, wished they could improve it further, but due to limitations mentioned above, made the concsious and calculated decision that they believed it would stand up to real world usage to the point that it would not cause a major problem.

I'm not trying to say whether they were right or wrong in their assessment. I still believe we do not have enough information or data points to know for sure. It's clear that Apple tests the phones thoroughly (did anyone really think they didn't?), but the tests are only meant to replicate a repeatable version of "normal usage" and we were not provided with the data which led them to the test sets for what they call "normal".

The nature of the caused damaged being, allegedly, "real world usage", and therefore, being different for each individual, with some level of randomness in how often any given individual experiences a peak in the forces applied to the phone during their own normal usage, I feel that some users may happen to experience a slight bend very soon into ownership, while others might experience it after several weeks or months, if at all. It's a matter of waiting for the moment when the individual might experience a peak in the force applied that they still consider to be "normal", and whether or not that peak causes any damage (bending) to the phone. Time will tell if more bent phones surface as more people subject their phones to their own peak forces experienced by living their daily lives.

Not that any of you care, but if you want my opinion, I think we'll see more bent phones surface, probably more total bent phones than any other single phone model to date from any manufacturer, but the total number will still not be cause for alarm or any stir beyond the initial overblown assessment and comments/articles we've seen so far. Apple will quietly replace bent phones for users who have them, and this will go down in history as not as bad as antenna gate. People will learn to be even more careful with their phone than they thought they had to be, and the 6S+ will improve the rigidity.

Agree with both you guys (GORKT & PJ RAGE), I used to pass through a GM reliability Testing Lab when I worked for them many years ago, testing still looks the same 30 yrs. later. Maybe Apple can release a 6S+ "Titanium-Vanadium" Model for an extra $100 to give us the rigidity needed for the tight jeans pocket crowd.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/modulus-rigidity-d_946.html

Last edited:

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
So how many cases of these phone's bending have actually been reported in total?

Wasn't the figure only 9 as of yesterday?

----------

That's Apple statistic, so I am a bit skeptical of it. That number is quite low for how big this story has become.

Buy what you like, its a free market, the choice is there and we are not forced.

Even if it is a free market, there are things like implied warranties. Apple has obligations which it needs to live up too. If it doesn't, the end user will be angry.

I will believe Apple that they did proper testing when they designed these phones. I have no reason to doubt that they did. I bet the prototypes survived all the tests in real world conditions.

Nevertheless, I also believe that a small set of phones is failing (something around 1-2 percent). The most likely scenario is that there was a small batch of phones which were bending. Mostly likely due to either improper assembly at a single plant, bad materials being used etc.

Apple could have easily made the problem go away by replacing those phones. But Apple did not, as always the many 'Geniuses" at the Apple Store tried to find reasons not to replace the phone. That's the reason people are so angry.

That is a problem generally with Apple. With all their products, there is always a small batch which have manufacturing defects. Rather than recognizing the problem, Apple always goes out of their way to blame the end user or deny there even is a problem. If anything that makes a person less likely to buy Apple products in the future.

Consider this, a small chunk of Honda Civics from 2001-2005 have issues with ignition switches. The failure rate is probably in the 1-2 percent range. My 2002 Civic didn't suffer the issue however, that doesn't mean its not a problem. At the same time, the reason you probably never heard about it is that Honda promptly replaced the broken ignition switches.

http://www.startribune.com/business/100267579.html

If Apple could just adopt proper business edict and stand by their product even when it fails, then Apple would be criticized so often. Instead with Apple, you have a common problem, caused by a manufacturing defect, and Apple goes out of its way to deny there ever was a problem and blames the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.