iPhone 6s - distorted/skipping music in iTunes when headphones are plugged in

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by senrab, Apr 30, 2018.

1. senrab macrumors member

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3.1

About a month ago, this weird problem started with my phone. Whenever I use iTunes with headphones plugged in, songs skip and get distorted. This problem does *not* happen when I use any other apps with the headphones - Spotify, YouTube, Netflix, etc. It also doesn’t happen when I listen to songs on iTunes without the headphones plugged into the phone. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I have Bluetooth over ear headphones but sometimes I just don’t feel like using them. This thing is solely iTunes + headphone jack. I am stumped.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I have a guess.

Maybe there is a short in the wire/button.

There are a bunch of commands that can be done with the button on the headphones, like FW, RW, skip song, ignore calls, even take a photo.

Maybe these commands are not available on other apps, that's why you only see the issues happen on iTunes.

The easiest thing to try is to use another pair and see if the problem is still there.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Yes, they definitely overuse that click-baity title. Nonetheless the audio issues/skipping appears to be fairly widespread since the release of iOS 11.3 and was not rectified with iOS 11.3.1.

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, that's part of it, while I'm sure there are people dealing with this issue, just as there are various other issues that some are dealing with, it's a bit hard to say that it's really widespread. Even here at MR where some of the smallest oddities can have long discussion threads, it doesn't seem like this one has that much going for it to make it come off as all that widespread/troublesome. That's not to downplay the issue itself as far as it being real or troublesome for those who are experiencing it.

6. senrab thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I’ve tried 2 different pairs of headphones (like the poster above suggested) and it didn’t work. I’ve also played music in Spotify using the various buttons on the earphone cord and no skipping/garbling. I hope they fix this sometime soon but I won’t hold my breath.