Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Is it really by a huge margin, though? Is somebody picking up a Pixel going to be sitting there lamenting huge loading times? Are both tests just a group of apps that work better on whatever platform the person wanted to look good?
It took Pixel double the time of the iPhone 7 to complete the 2 laps.Thats noticeable

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Re: Pixel Phonebuff video.

It's more a case of poor ram management or at least aggressive ram management which does affect your daily usage even outside of scenarios as the video demonstrates.

The Pixel in that test under performed and was akin to the Galaxy S6/S6e last year with its very poor ram management, something which a stock device simply should not be having. Indeed the pixel in the video is peforming akin to the Nexus 5X with 2gb ram.

Ive seen videos and ram usage is the same as the Nexus 6P so the Pixel is not utilising more ram and running out, it's actually being closed out / flushed if that video is accurate. Which was same as the aggressive ram issue on the S6 accept here we can't blame TW.

So why ?

Two possible scenarios.

1) Android 7.1 on the pixel still has bugs / chinks that need to fixed

2) The underclocked Snapdragon 821 could point to the fact they are also aggressively killing ram as a way to extend battery life.

We have seen the OP3 do a similar thing where it's 6gb ram on arrival only performed like a 2gb device, and even with the update to fix the issue, the build.prop limited adjustment OP changed to means it still only uses around 3 tops of the 6gb available. (Meaning unless you circumvent the issue and adjust build.prop yourself you will never benefit from 6gb).

Anyway so there are your two scenarios.

1. Buggy software
2. An artificial ram limiter which expunges stored data early in order to preserve battery.

If it's the latter, that would truly suck. A €750 pixel shouldn't perform like a €250 Nexus 5X memory wise.

However I hope it's the former and it's simply buggy software.

Time will tell, what we need is a Pixel Vs Nexus 6P running 7.0 to see a comparison in behaviours.

Reactions: Suckfest 9001

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Is it really by a huge margin, though? Is somebody picking up a Pixel going to be sitting there lamenting huge loading times? Are both tests just a group of apps that work better on whatever platform the person wanted to look good?

The videos are all over the place on the Pixel some of them have the iPhone absolutley smoking the Pixel and some have the Pixel eeking out a win.

What I do know is I ran this storage benchmark
300f0dce3716cd635fd764c85913f7eb.jpg

And it seems that I have pretty decent read and write speeds all things given

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I take it you think people often run two laps around specific apps?
It will.Lets say you are playing a game and then you switch to some other work and after an hour or so tryo to resume playing,the 7 Plus will be up and running from where you left off.The Pixel would terminate the process thereby losing your progress and reload the app.This will also apply to any incomplete message you have left unfinished in WhatsApp and Snapchat

Better to continue this here as this thread may be locked my a mod soon for off topic

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-plus-beats-pixel-xl-in-speed-test.2009331/
[doublepost=1477471839][/doublepost]
And it seems that I have pretty decent read and write speeds all things given

Interesting.This means the read speed of the 32GB 7 plus is 3 times that of the Pixel while write speed is 4x slower.Yet the Pixel was almost winning one of the tests

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It will.Lets say you are playing a game and then you switch to some other work and after an hour or so tryo to resume playing,the 7 Plus will be up and running from where you left off.The Pixel would terminate the process thereby losing your progress and reload the app.This will also apply to any incomplete message you have left unfinished in WhatsApp and Snapchat

Better to continue this here as this thread may be locked my a mod soon for off topic

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-plus-beats-pixel-xl-in-speed-test.2009331/
[doublepost=1477471839][/doublepost]

Interesting.This means the read speed of the 32GB 7 plus is 3 times that of the Pixel while write speed is 4x slower.Yet the Pixel was almost winning one of the tests

which is probably why these speed benchmarks have been all over the place.

If I were to un-encrypt the phone I could probably get better benchmarks but when on my N6 I didn't notice any day to day change running when en-encrypted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.