'iPhone 6s' to Feature Apple Watch-Like Motion Wallpapers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2015.

1. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502a

DesterWallaboo

There are pros and cons to OLED. Color fade over time is probably one of the primary reasons Apple never moved to OLED.

2. entropi macrumors 6502

Yeah, I hope they stay off OLED for 6S cause I plan to buy one!

3. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

I always loved the Dynamic wallpaper, but it was so limited - just different colors of moving bokeh dots. I hope it's not just a 6S exclusive, but somehow I think it will be. I had no plans of upgrading, but now seeing 4K, 12MP camera..ForceTouch higher ram. I've never owned the S model but this "S" looks like a major tempting upgrade.

BUT I can't upgrade until next Sept. - unless ATT (or Apple) can do some kind of no penalty upgrade. That's a whole other issue.

4. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Yeah, those were a cute feature that I miss.

5. flur macrumors 68020

flur

Come over to the dark side. I'm an S-model upgrader (and I do the ipad equivalent even-number-model upgrade also). IMO it's so much better, because you see the big changes happen in the non-S and all the fallout from the mistakes Apple made with the new design, but then you get to buy the next version were they fix all those mistakes and upgrade everything.

6. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

That's a good point. I hope there's a new iPad mini!

7. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Unlikely at this event, iPads are usually announced at a separate October event.

8. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

If these aren't bendable and have more RAM it totally makes more sense to be on this cycle.

Cases are available (and cheaper).

Things like Olloclip lenses should be available and cheaper than a year before (I got a Olloclip lens for the 5 on clearance at Target about a week before the 5s came out, it fit just fine!). Although if this phone is a little thicker, that might not be an option for the Olloclip this time.

By the time I got my 5s, the lightning cables were cheaper by that time too.

Gary

9. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

10. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Would be nice if APple opened for everyone else to make their animated backgrounds....I dont want a flower or hardly noticable dots moving which drawins battery for no reason. Would be nice with something cooler, like animated game splash screens etc.

11. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

If these have more motion, less-efficiently processed than EVERY single thing you do on your phone (all of which is constant full-screen motion already), and if you unlock your phone often, and if you choose to use one of these motion backgrounds of your own free will, then I expect there WILL be a small battery drain, which you won't notice but can be measured. Much like any other feature you can choose whether to use or not.

12. roow110 macrumors regular

The choice to use a black background on the interface and watchfaces on the Apple Watch is one of the best and most overlooked design decisions they made. Not only does it save battery life on the OLED screen--because black pixels don't have to turn on--but it makes the boundary between the display and the device almost disappear. I would be very excited if Apple brought that design language over to the iPhone.

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I kind of just want the only new feature on the iPhone 6S to be moving goldfish wallpapers just to watch the internet explode. I want them to talk about it for two hours. And this is coming from a guy who actually wants to buy an iPhone 6S.

Ok, so maybe I wouldn't be joking like this if the rumors so far didn't suggest a solid upgrade. I've got my calendar blocked out! It's going to be a fun event. Definitely getting a 6S and ATV4.

14. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

My bet is that the base model will be 16 GB and there will be 1 GB RAM, just because why not. "On the plus side though, haha I said plus, look at the fishies!"

15. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

Agreed. I'm just not convinced on OLED. My bro-in-law had a Note 3 and S5 ( I realize those are not the newest phones) and then went to a OnePlus One and has said several times how much better he likes the display on the OnePlus. I think outdoor visibility is a far bigger deal to people than resolution or contrast ratio.

16. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

This option along with a smaller battery life? There goes me charging every other 1.5 days or every other day. This thing is shaping up for daily charging required based on how I use my phone. I don't want to have to do that.

17. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

I had a smartphone with all these features in 2001... it.. it's absolutely irrelevant.

18. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

If this is (like) OLED, combined with the improved processor and significant improvement with iOS9, it could mean more battery life. Like el capitan, improving my macbook battery life with 30/40% and performing faster and smoother than yosemite.

Give 'm some credit, and don't get infected with the spoiled brattiness of many commenters here :)

19. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

How quaint. I put my own pictures on the wallpaper. They're more interesting, and usually prettier.

20. jdoll021 macrumors regular

jdoll021

If the iPhone 6S gets motion wallpaper, does this possibly mean it will get a less boring, non-grid, home screen?! Maybe with widget options akin to the different watch face options and complications?! It seems doubtful, but I can dream!

21. stickyd8 macrumors member

stickyd8

How about animated emjois? I love that feature in Outlook 365 and even the ones on the Apple Watch!

22. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

So, why exactly does the S have to have an OLED display in order for this to work?

23. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

My bokeh wallpaper was getting lonely. Oh, 6s you say? Looks like it's going to stay that way.

24. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

The rumor is that the 6S will have lower battery capacity then the current phones, possibly to offset the thicker force touch screens. If so, I doubt Apple would settle for reduced battery life, and OLED would be one major way around that.

25. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Normally, my phone doesnt show the exact same image 24/7, 365. So burn in wouldnt be a problem, specially not during the typical 2 year upgrade cycle.