iPhone 6S - What will the "S" stand for this time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BSDanalyst, Mar 31, 2015.

1. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No, it is 3G S (became 3GS), 4S (became 4s), 5s

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

Smileys.

iOS9 will expand on iOS8.3 and have smileys everywhere. The iPhone 6S will have a physical 'insert smiley' button in place of the menu button.

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

S = Stays [in my pocket] because I have an :apple: Watch :D

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well there was something that Apple was thinking of in relation to 4s, but it wasn't anything official really. Nothing really that I recall for 5s.

5. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

'S' just means a beefed-up deluxe model of the previous year's phone surely?
    Like if you buy the 'S' model of a car, it's still the same basic car but is usually faster and has a few extras.

6. puma1552 Suspended

S = same old ****.

The S releases are so freaking boring. Usually one lame feature, like Siri or Touch ID in the same form factor which by that point is boring and old.

7. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

And updated internals, obviously.

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I really think the "S" has just become branding.

I mean, the 3GS was explicitly stated to mean "Speed," but I don't recall them ever making official mention of the 4"S" or 5"S." Forum users speculated "Siri" and "Security," but that was never proven to my knowledge.

9. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

This time though, with the S version almost certainly having 2GB of RAM, it will be a killer feature. Most people can eek out an extra year with a slightly inferior camera, and I don't use Siri or TouchID even though I've got them...but 2GB of RAM? That's a must have for some of us. My 6+ doesn't actually work properly, that's how important 2GB of RAM is. This will be the first 'S' model that comprehensively slays the preceding phone.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

There will be no "S" this year. It will be iPhone 7 and 7C! :apple:

11. puma1552 Suspended

hopefully it will have 2 gigs, but everyone thought for sure the 4s would have 1 and it didnt.

apple unfortunately makes you wait as humanly long as possible for ram upgrades until the mere thought of not getting an upgrade is unthinkable...then they stick you in the gut and drag out one more year before FINALLY giving you more RAM. wouldnt surprise me if it didnt happen til the iphone 7 with all the talk of ios 9 just being bug fixes and optimization...doesnt seem like a case for 2 gigs.

12. dammerl macrumors regular

dammerl

's' stands and always stood for 'solid', in contrary to the preceding 'preview' release. Of course, for marketing reasons they omit the 'p' in the official names of the preview models.

I never buy one of the previews. Only 's' models.

13. falkedup macrumors regular

14. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

That year you talk about was this year and the phones plain don't work properly with only 1GB. All this reloading business just leads to a sub-par user experience, and not one I expect for premium money. My 6+ has been hands down the most frustrating and disappointing iPhone I've ever owned.
    That said, 8.3 is light years ahead of the previous versions of iOS8 and at least a lot of the unnecessary software bugs have been eradicated. Sadly no update is ever going to fix the lack of RAM though.

15. Lexio macrumors member

Lexio

16. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

18. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

What with the expense and the fact that sapphire is more brittle than glass, making more people break their phones? I don't think so.

19. Mitsjke macrumors member

S = Straight, Sturdy, Strong -> no bending... #

20. recoil80 macrumors 68020

For me S = Shelf, like the 4S and the 5S since I'm waiting for 7 :D

But S usually means speed, I expect more RAM and a really fast A9 compared to the A8

21. anupviews macrumors newbie

No, it didn't.

22. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

iPhone 7? Programmer joke :p

23. Tekz gaming macrumors newbie

Tekz gaming

I think the s on the 6 stands for strength. Think about it stronger screen, 7000 aluminium and to top it of the new STRONGhold feature.

24. techiebug macrumors 6502a