iPhone 6S - What will the "S" stand for this time?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I believe even Apple said that wasn't really the case after 3GS. I mean you can certainly think of it, but officially that's not really it.
Where did Apple clarify? Source? It's always been speed. The 3GS was a massive boost. The 4S was a massive boost with the first dual core chip. The 5S was a massive boost with a new processor node and 64 bit architechture. The 6S...do I really need to point you to the geek bench scores for that?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Where did Apple clarify? Source? It's always been speed. The 3GS was a massive boost. The 4S was a massive boost with the first dual core chip. The 5S was a massive boost with a new processor node and 64 bit architechture. The 6S...do I really need to point you to the geek bench scores for that?
They specifically said it was speed for 3GS, but they didn't make any references to what it was for any version after that in their announcements, or advertisements, or press releases, etc. In the case of 4S, there was an interview at an All Things D conference where Tim Cooked basically said they were thinking of the S standing for Siri when it came to the 4S--basically this was more about how Apple saw it internally, but not how they actually announced or sold the phone or anything like that.

I understand that each times the phones got faster, that's not even in question, all I'm saying that after 3GS where it was officially attributed to speed, no such attributions were made officially/publicly by Apple (and in the case of 4S you can even say that a somewhat different attribution was made, although soft of unofficially/internally).

Last edited: