Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Time to invest in some Bluetooth headphones. I doubt audiobooks require super high fidelity wired headphones.

And if someone wants to listent to music while charging their iPhone?

It's the same problem but even worse with the MacBook. How does one backup to a Time Machine drive if they need to charge their MacBook? Apparently someone in a high place at Apple believes people drop everything they're doing while their devices charge.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The only reason I would upgrade is to get the Plus with the bigger screen and dual camera, but that's more of a want than a need. I am not a picture taking fiend and I am hardly maximizing all the features of my 6s. For those who probably stuck with their 5s or iPhone 6, this upgrade might be more than worthy. Otherwise, I will see what next years revision offers and probably buy the iPhone 7 then if the iPhone 8 turns out to be too dramatic or meh.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That version of the 7+ camera lens looks pretty good, not nearly as unsightly as the early pics without the lens collar. The rendering of the iPhone 7 on the other hand still looks like a wart.

[Swordylove beat me to it!]

Reactions: 5105973

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Why can't Apple just replace Lightning with USB-C and go all-in with that format as a universal connector? They could ship USB-C headphones, a USB-C Cinema Display, charging cables, etc.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I don't mind a touch sensitive home button as long as you can still press it as well, call me old fashioned but physical buttons are more convenient for me when I'm out and about.

I believe this will actually be an accessibility feature within iOS 10 - turning a touch-ID enabled home button touch sensitive.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
It's possible to have the headphone jack and waterproofing, the Galaxy S7 does it. I think if Samsung's engineers can figure out how to do it, so can Apple.

My speculation based on Apple's previous tendencies would be that Apple would try to one-up the limited waterproofing of Samsung's phones by increasing the depth of water exposure. If Apple could somehow engineer their phones to be waterproof to 3 or so metres then I would be sold on the requirement of removing the headphone jack.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This seems like a really bad move... I hope Apple won't do it, because I don't want to have to use a bulky adapter unless it provides access to both listening to music and charging simultaneously. As the inevitable adapter is unlikely to have two lightning ports, I'd rather just use lightning headphones.

The iPhone 7 is looking like quite a poor update so I'm tempted to skip it, but 1GB of RAM is already annoying on my iPhone 6 and I'm sure it will get worse when iOS 10 comes out, so I can't wait for over another year to upgrade. The A8 processor is also showing its age (loading the Facebook app is so slow!) and I really want 3D touch. But I'll be happier when upgrading if they include lighting EarPods, and not just an adapter.
I hear you but you have to understand that you're not speaking for the majority. Most people use whatever comes with their phones or bluetooth. They will not be affected because they didn't spend a lot of money on wired headphones because they either don't use headphones with their phone at all (many more than you think) or they just don't care or notice audio fidelity difference (probably 75% of all iPhone users). Only Apple has these numbers but you can bet they won't make this move unless they are sure most customers won't be affected.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
image.jpeg

...this is never gonna get old to me

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Keep repeating that year after year. Maybe you'll be lucky and it will come true some day.

Me? I'll stick with history and the fact the iPhone sells ridiculously well with every new version. I see no reason for it to change this time. People ALWAYS complain about something they hate about each new iPhone and why they won't buy it. Doesn't mean a thing in the real world (away from raging nerds on Internet forums).

99% of potential iPhone 7 customers have NO idea they are removing the headphone jack, oh what rude awakening they will be in for

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
While everyone flips about the potential dongle, I'm just saying that those antenna lines – at least in the accompanying photo of what may well be non-final parts – look like straight asscrack. -_-

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Same mock ups, posted again by a different source used to confirm the same mock up previously posted.

I also don't believe Apple would set a new standard for headphones, then not ship their own devices that use that standard. They would be admitting that they weren't ready for the change over, let alone every other headphone manufacture.

Reactions: yesjam

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wow I feel really bad for the consumers who will purchase this, I can't believe Apple is going to just include an adapter and not actually change their earbuds to have a lightning connector. IMO they should include both. Don't get me wrong, the earbuds usually included are complete junk and worth less than the plastic they are wrapped in. But it's still a downer thinking of having a freakin dongle attached to my phone and having to deal with that in my pocket.

Reactions: Demo Kit

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
This design -- not only the ugly raised bevel - but more importantly the pointless failure to work with standard headphone / audio interfaces -- suggests this is going to phail. And when it phails, watch the calls for Tim Cook to depart. You can walk on someone else's coattails for only so long ... any decent tech company needs to be run by a techie.

speedlimiter

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
The dual lens looks fake to me. Why should Apple use two different designs for the camera bump? The ring looks like a typical Chinese part. All other leaks point to a dual lens design that is similar to the single lens 4,7" model.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
Why can't Apple just replace Lightning with USB-C and go all-in with that format as a universal connector? They could ship USB-C headphones, a USB-C Cinema Display, charging cables, etc.

Because they can't charge $30 for a USB-C cable.

While a lot of people by third-party lightning cables, I would imagine that tons still stick with Apple-branded, assuming they're superior.

wannabefanboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I have some questions. If these pictures are genuine why does the 4.7" have such a large camera circumference but the 5.5" one with the dual cameras isn't the size of two of these together?!
Also, why would Apple allow that horrid surrounding to the dual camera bump that isn't smooth and consistent like in smaller version. It looks like some cheap metal bezel that's going to fall off after a few weeks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.