Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
That camera, though.

shortcircuit6.jpg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
Maybe they will include both the lightning headphones and an adaptor and that's they reason for conflicting reports? Yeah I know this is Apple we are talking about but you never know.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Good $deity I hope this is nothing more than a bad joke, otherwise this will replace the Pencil sticking out when charging example as "worst design decision of the year".

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Speakers 4/5 of an inch from each other are not stereo. But someone keeps pushing that theme to the ignorant.

Lol... people believe anything that their believed Apple tells them, thus the reason they sell so many products.

swadventures

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
San Fran Bay Area

With just over six weeks remaining until Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, leaked photos and rumors surrounding the smartphones are starting to become clear and consistent.

Deutsche Bank is the latest group to add its expectations to the mix, issuing a research note obtained by Business Insider that corroborates several previously rumored features coming in this year's refresh.

iPhone-7-Plus-dual-cameras.jpg

New photo of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus rear shell molds (Image: KK?? on Weibo)

The bank, which allegedly made supply chain checks, believes the 4.7-inch model will have an improved camera and optical image stabilization, while the larger 5.5-inch model is set to gain a dual-lens camera and 3GB of RAM.

Both models are also expected to have no headphone jack, a touch-sensitive home button with haptic feedback, a new darker color, "professional class" waterproofing, and improved sound, possibly by way of stereo speakers.

Perhaps the most interesting bit is Deutsche Bank's belief that the iPhone 7 will ship with a Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone jack dongle in the box, rather than Lightning-based EarPods as previously speculated.

Many aftermarket Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters are bulky and clunky looking due to the need for a digital-to-analog converter, however, so it remains to be seen if Apple could create a dongle that meets its high standards of design.

Every single one of Deutsche Bank's predictions have surfaced previously:

- No 3.5mm headphone jack: WSJ, Fast Company, Mac Otakara, and many others
- Dual-lens camera for iPhone 7 Plus: Ming-Chi Kuo, Mac Otakara, and many others
- 3GB of RAM for iPhone 7 Plus: Ming-Chi Kuo
- Touch-sensitive home button: DigiTimes, Cowen and Company
- Improved waterproofing: WSJ, Fast Company, DigiTimes, Commercial Times, Weibo
- Stereo speakers: DigiTimes, Mac Otakara
- A new darker color: Mac Otakara and leaked photo
- Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter: Mac Otakara

Apple is widely expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in September. Other rumored features include a faster TSMC-made Apple A10 processor, repositioned antenna bands, faster LTE and Wi-Fi, a slightly larger battery, and a minimum 32GB of base storage. A larger 256GB model may also be available.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Again Said to Ship With Lightning-to-3.5mm Headphone Dongle
[doublepost=1469208905][/doublepost]I am lost why I want a phone that does not have the audio jack. I think this is where iPhone and I depart.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
That dongle is coming with the Plus/Pro or whatever the hell they're calling it. Let's face it, including the adapter in all models isn't "aggressive-adoption-forcing" enough to be Apple.

Reactions: Orlandoech

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Does anyone else feel like the term "dongle" just is one of those words we shouldn't use?

Sort of like the words moist, or straddle....Just immediately makes one sort of cringe a bit upon hearing them.
Kinda reminds me of a Robin Williams saying. "Look Anon, the Moon, like a testicle, hangs low in the sky."

Reactions: 5105973

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Really? So, what part of physics says that, eg, 4 inch separation is sufficient but 3 inch separation is not sufficient? Is it physically impossible for the human brain to perceive an, eg, 5 ms time difference between left and right ear signal as a direction different from straight on but a 2 ms time difference will not be perceived as such. Physics only says the stereo effect will get less pronounced the closer the two speakers are. Physics doesn't say were the cut-off is.

It's not about the millisecond travel difference it's about the apparent volume difference. I.e. That the right speaker is louder to the right ear than the left speaker and vice versa. This is why headphones actually give better stereo separation than car speakers even though the latter is further apart.

If you hold the new iPhone design to your nose you *may* get some stereo separation, but you will certainly look ridiculous.

gregoryalee

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
It's not about the millisecond travel difference it's about the apparent volume difference. I.e. That the right speaker is louder to the right ear than the left speaker and vice versa. This is why headphones actually give better stereo separation than car speakers even though the latter is further apart.

If you hold the new iPhone design to your nose you *may* get some stereo separation, but you will certainly look ridiculous.
No stereo separation, but you will get to hear two separate channels of audio as opposed to mono summed. I doubt many people will be able to hear any difference a few feet away from the speakers.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Dongle is the dumbest thing ever.

When I'm in the car or out playing pokemon go. How the hell do I charge my phone AND listen to my audiobook at the same time??

Wait for Apple to come out with 70 dollars multi-dongle like they did with rMB??

Can't innovate (dongle) my ass1

Time to invest in some Bluetooth headphones. I doubt audiobooks require super high fidelity wired headphones.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Does anyone else feel like the term "dongle" just is one of those words we shouldn't use?

Sort of like the words moist, or straddle....Just immediately makes one sort of cringe a bit upon hearing them.

So, are you implying that Apple is well-dongled?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Technically you're right. But I have found that relying on "technically" as part of a features argument is tantamount to pushing a load of marketing bs. If the effect is barely perceptible then it's useless from a practicality standpoint and serves as nothing more than a bullet point on a marketing campaign.

Why would you, an intelligent person, be okay with the term here? You've already admitted it's, in your own words, barely perceptible. Heck, even speakers on the top and bottom would yield minimal stereo separation. Small speakers that close together is stereo only in the most pedantic sense. Is it okay because it's Apple and not Samsung or any other handset manufacturer? Genuinely curious.
I'm curious why people are upset about the rumored second speaker. I understand being bothered by Apple's making this a key feature in all of their advertising. But that's not happening. Apple hasn't even acknowledged that there is a second speaker.

People are imagining what Apple will do and then getting angry with their own imagination

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
When will Apple realize that NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY wants stupid, octopus-like dongles on ANY of their devices?! It's like Apple's trying to do the new MacBook thing again, except worse because the iPhone uses Lighting instead of USB-C (If they opted to use USB-C, I'd support them 100%). This is outright STUPID! Advancing forward in technology does NOT involve making products LESS functional!
I'd be okay with it if the form was a new design that necessitated a removal of the headphone jack for aesthetic and functional purposes. But it's the same shell we have been using so it seems lame to not have the headphone jack. I would've more receptive to it for a design that was like one of the Samsung concept phones for next year which is more like a flexible glass slab.

Reactions: BulkSlash
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.