Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying the Iphone 7 this year?

• Yes, I'm upgrading from an Iphone 6s.

Votes: 117 40.2%
  • Yes, I'm upgrading from an Iphone 6.

Votes: 79 27.1%
  • Yes, I'm upgrading from an Iphone 5/5s/4/4s ect..

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Yes, But only because im upgrading to a Plus model this year

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Yes, But only because im upgrading to get more storage this year.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • No, Because the 7 isnt much of an upgrade to me.

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • No, Because the 7 removed the headphone jack.

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • No, Because they still refused to give it an OLED screen.

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • No, Because i prefer my Android/plan to buy one.

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Me and every other runner i know ..........

Wow how old are you? How slow do you run? I don't know ANY runners who wear wired earphones any more.

But I suppose you have to enjoy that HIGH fidelity sound while pumping through a 10K training sesh! im sure you can really tell the difference!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Every review you will find shows that performance in the samsung phones exceeds anything apple does.
Except the very post that follows yours shows the opposite to the be the case with actual benchmark information rather than just talk.
[doublepost=1473321465][/doublepost]
Wow how old are you? How slow do you run? I don't know ANY runners who wear wired earphones any more.

But I suppose you have to enjoy that HIGH fidelity sound while pumping through a 10K training sesh! im sure you can really tell the difference!
I see quite a few that still do. It's not really any kind of a universal thing or anything like that that all or even most runners don't use wired headphones. Definitely quite a few people in gyms as well, whether they are running or doing something else. That's not to say it might not be better for them all not to have the wires, but there they are nonetheless.

Reactions: username:

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012

You read some utter bilge on this site on others, but every once in a while some guy steps up and raises the bar.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Seriously, i was so hoping for something better this year. I'm currently on the jump on demand plan with t-mobile and i can easily upgrade but now i refuse to because of the way tim cook runs the company. Tim cook shouldn't be playing catch-up instead apple should be making the other company's play catch-up just like how they did in the past when Steve Jobs ran the company with their mac line... Instead Tim cook seems very content being in the re-view mirror of the competition.

Samsung and other androids have had
  • Wireless charging
  • Water resistant
  • SD card slots
  • OLED screens
  • 8 core processors
  • Larger screens
  • Stereo speakers (2 speakers)
  • Camera Image stabilization
  • Higher Mega Pixels
Iphones have been behind for the last 2 years playing catch-up on these basic features and apple doesnt seem to want to change.
  • It took 2 years after competitors for them to finally reach 32gb starter phones
  • It 3 years after competitors before releasing an OLED screen (iPhone 7s or 8)
  • It took 2 years after competitors increased there screen sizes to create the plus model
  • It took 2 years after competitors to add water resistant
  • Many years have passed and there still isn't an SD card slot
  • It took 2 years after competitors they finally give the phone stereo speakers
  • They are always behind in camera quality (No Raw format/lower Mega Pixels)
  • They took years to finally implement image stabilization with the 6 plus (standard is still screwed out of this basic feature)
Then to top it all off apple removed the headphone jack. I'm sure to some this is a non-issue but to many this is a big issue........

I agree with most of what you've listed above. It's hard to dispute the fact that Apple does consistently lag far behind Samsung in raw device spec's.

So, how can Apple continue to do this and get away with it? They obviously are getting away with it because they are selling a lot of iPhones! In my mind, the answer is that Apple's value proposition is much more about the integration of their hardware and software to produce an excellent user experience that customers enjoy and in the cohesiveness of their overall ecosystem than it is on raw device spec's. In terms of raw device specs, Apple is always going to keep you wanting more.

Yes, I find it annoying that Apple consistantly drags their feet with respect to introducing new features for their devices. However, deciding to abandon iPhone in favor of Samsung (for example) isn't just a phone decision, it's an ecosystem decision and more. If it were just about the phone, I'd consider swithing to Samsung. But it's not and I'm sticking with Apple. I'm too heavily invested in their ecosystem to easily switch.

That being said, you need one more category in your poll: "No, because the iPhone 7 is more of a 6++ and iPhone 8 will likely be announced in 2017 bringing a radical overhaul in the iPhone design". If I don't go for the iPhone 7's, this will be the reason.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I see quite a few that still do. It's not really any kind of a universal thing or anything like that that all or even most runners don't use wired headphones. Definitely quite a few people in gyms as well, whether they are running or doing something else. That's not to say it might not be better for them all not to have the wires, but there they are nonetheless.
This is for the population that hasn't given bluetooth a shot "lately".
Getting rid of cables is the single best thing you can do in the gym. Not having a cable running up your shirt. Pulling your head to make adjustments to the cable that is pulling from sweat. Cable getting caught on something and screwing up a set/rep. Weight training alone the improvement of going wireless is huge to me being I'm in the gym 5 days a week for 2-3 hours a day.
Runners would see a big change in this too. Ive ran outside and had my arm catch on my cable pulling out my phone and hitting the ground.
If there was bluetooth back in my skateboarding days it would of been a dream. I couldn't imagine not having wires with doing technical tricks. Often times i would park my car next to the spot we where at and turned up my stereo because skating with a tape player(yes tape player) and headphones wasn't ideal but everyone did it.
Bluetooth to a ton of people is a BIG BIG deal...

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I agree with most of what you've listed above. It's hard to dispute the fact that Apple does consistently lag far behind Samsung in raw device spec's.

So, how can Apple continue to do this and get away with it? They obviously are getting away with it because they are selling a lot of iPhones! In my mind, the answer is that Apple's value proposition is much more about the integration of their hardware and software to produce an excellent user experience that customers enjoy and in the cohesiveness of their overall ecosystem than it is on raw device spec's. In terms of raw device specs, Apple is always going to keep you wanting more.

Yes, I find it annoying that Apple consistantly drags their feet with respect to introducing new features for their devices. However, deciding to abandon iPhone in favor of Samsung (for example) isn't just a phone decision, it's an ecosystem decision and more. If it were just about the phone, I'd consider swithing to Samsung. But it's not and I'm sticking with Apple. I'm too heavily invested in their ecosystem to easily switch.

That being said, you need one more category in your poll: "No, because the iPhone 7 is more of a 6++ and iPhone 8 will likely be announced in 2017 bringing a radical overhaul in the iPhone design". If I don't go for the iPhone 7's, this will be the reason.

This is a major reason I can't bring myself to switch back to Android. I'm so invested in the  ecosystem it would be dumb to start over. IMO I think Apple's is a much more cohesive and quality ecosystem compared to Googles.

Reactions: Bojan

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I'm still undecided about upgrading my 6 to a 7, as I think next years model might be a bigger leap forward, but I don't understand all the hate and vitriol toward Apple in general for their lack of innovation.

I don't think Apple has ever been truly innovative, but what they have done incredibly well is take an existing product and make it easier to use and others have followed. I had a Nokia E90 Communicator before my 1st iPhone, and it did everything that did and more, but it wasn't as easy and was much bigger.

Before that, the iPod wasn't the 1st MP3 player, but it was the 1st that was simple to use due to a great interface and the iTunes store. Pretty sure more music is sold on MP3 or via streaming services than is sold on physical disks today. Again, not really innovative, but Apple took the lead and others followed.

Apple continue to do this, often at the frustration of users who aren't quite ready for the change. The removal of the headphone jack is a classic example in the 7. In 2-3 years time no new mobile phones sold will have this jack, just like floppy disk drives are no more and CD/DVD drives are heading the same way.

It used to be a nightmare trying to keep information on devices in sync (anyone remember serial cables and Psion devices) and Apple have made that completely seamless. I think that's the thing I like the most about Apple and where they have been somewhat innovative. Creating an eco-system, where every device works together sharing information and updating through 'the cloud' has made life so much easier. OK, it's not perfect by any means, but it beats having to manually sync devices, and it's getting better with each iOS/OS release.

Apple isn't the great innovator everyone seems to give them credit for, but they do continue to make simple to use products, that work brilliantly together, and their design decisions (love or hate them) lead the way forward for everyone else.

Reactions: bigmikeyp and MLVC

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Apple has been doing (for a few years now) what they call "Sandbagging". Apple does it for a reason and the people that upgrade every year, just to have the latest iPhone (Top answer from this threads poll: "Yes, I'm upgrading from an Iphone 6s"), is the reason why. And WHY Apples "sandbagging" of latest features, exist$.

The "S" models are just another hidden "sandbagging" ploy. Drag out another (slightly upgraded model) and sell it to the fanboys that keep $$ flowing so they can say they have the best iPhone.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
No choice for me so vote…..

No, because I seldom carry a mobile telephone; when I do it is a several years old $20 Nokia.

I can do without being on line 24/7, thus traced every time I use a gadget. When I leave my desk top computer, I'm off line. It's not that I have anything to hide; just that it's the way I prefer things to be.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
  • Wireless charging
  • Water resistant
  • SD card slots
  • OLED screens
  • 8 core processors
  • Larger screens
  • Stereo speakers (2 speakers)
  • Camera Image stabilization
  • Higher Mega Pixels

Wireless charging - nice to have and a shame the iPhone doesn't support this yet.

Water resistant - iPhone 7/7+ has this. For many of us its a nice thing to have on our androids but was never a reason to buy them alone. I've never dropped any of the dozens of phones i've had in water.

SD Card Slots - not all android phones have these, and for many 32, 128 & 256gb will be more space than they ever need

OLED screens are nice but not automatically better as many presume. Most OLED outside of Samsung's flagships are poor colour accuracy wise and have yellow or pink casts to them. Likewise the pentile array of OLED makes 'affective' ppi closer to the 401 ppi of the iPhone Plus model than their claimed 500-580 ppi number actually belies. So whilst OLED can certainly be better - out of the myriad of OLED devices very few are great quality ones (mostly Samsung's flagship line are great -.but devices like the 6P, Moto X Force & such are all pretty flawed screen wise).

8 Core Processors - means nothing. CPU wise the iPhone still benchmarks with the finest and always has.

Larger screens - subjective. Its neither automatically better or worse.

Stereo Speakers - the new iPhone has this as standard

Camera image stabilisation - the new iPhones have this as standard.

Higher MegaPixels - like OLED higher mega pixels does not 'automatically' equate to better.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
You may want to check the poll that's attached to this thread. 46% are upgrading from the 6S.

No new features?

• Water and dust resistance
  • Haptic home button
  • Brighter screen
  • Improved camera (especially in the 7+)
  • 4 core processor (2 energy efficient cores for basic functions and 2 high performance cores)
  • 6 core GPU for console quality gaming
  • Stereo speakers (which no iPhone has ever had)

I'd call a new feature something like Siri, Touch ID and 3D Touch screen. All the things you list are nice improvements, but not new features in my definition. And I suspect the haptic home button makes the phone slightly less nice to use (though trade off in durability and water resistance is no doubt worth it).
I might still upgrade from my 6S. But I'm a gadget guy who checks MacRumors three times a day. I'm hardly a normal person. And I also have decent amounts of disposable cash. But to be fair, I'd probably see more improvement going from my iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro because of the pencil support.
[doublepost=1473334553][/doublepost]
The first 2 iPhones had 400 MHz processors. I was looking at devices with 624 MHz before 2007.

I'm not sure which devices those were, but I had a state of the art blackberry when the iPhone came out, a Palm Treo and Palm before that. None of those devices had the computational power to do anything close to what the iPhone could do. And MHZ doesn't necessarily tell the whole story or even any of the story as a chip can run at a higher MHZ and get blown a way by a better chip.

theramod

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
So octa-core is a feature now? Maybe for Samsung. With octa-core, Samsung is still slower than iPhone so I really dont see much reason why Apple should add such overkill hardware
[doublepost=1473338003][/doublepost]
Every review you will find shows that performance in the samsung phones exceeds anything apple does.
You are clearly looking at the wrong articles then.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
our local apple apologist..they can do no wrong can they?

SD card an annoyance? lol ok

Of course you prederf IPS LCD its what apple uses..

headphone jack is annoying? wow lol

Actually, the SD card slot is a pain in the ass. I had a S7E and had nothing but problems with it. Thank god Apple doesn't use them.
[doublepost=1473339452][/doublepost]
Jokes aside...no phone's feature set is as complete as the note 7...im sure many apple fans would love if their iPhones supported the apple pencil, secure folder, virtual reality, native file manager, always on display, iris scanner and of course oled.....

Apple Pencil: Some folks may use it. I had the Note 5 and never used the S Pen. Plus it is WAY too big to carry around with an iPhone X Plus

Secure Folder: Never used it

VR: Its cool but nothing spectacular that I would leave Apple for

Native file manager: I will admit, it is nice.

Always on display: Had it on my S7E and turned it off after 2 hours. But some people may like it.

Iris scanner: Dumb. My finger works just fine.

OLED: It would definitely be nice.
[doublepost=1473339766][/doublepost]
Can you use 3D touch with the note 7? No! Apple Pay? Also not! Can you use the dual camera features? No, the same old thing... does it take Live Photos? No! 4K 60 fps? Doesn't do. Can it take 10 pictures per second without interruption until the memory gets full? Nope!

Meh. I will take Samsung Pay over Apple Pay anyday. And I love using Apple Pay.
[doublepost=1473339992][/doublepost]
When will you learn that specs do not equal better performance? There have been plenty of tests that show the 6s performs better than any Samsung, and that won't be changing with the next Samsung. Samsung will blow nothing away. You're just trolling for the sake of trolling. Is that really all you can do with your life?

They wont. They look at who has the bigger specs and automatically think it is the best.

Reactions: theramod

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
lol. Apple wasn't the first with any of those features.

Re read my post. This time don't insert things I didn't say.

But let's say I did say Apple was the first and I didn't say "any given device still in production". Do you feel it's a fair comparison to compare a single company (Apple) to ALL other smartphone manufacturers regardless other whether the phone is even made anymore aka every other smartphone ever?

owz206

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Current iPhone 6s plus and Galaxy S7 Edge user. I have to say after many years using primarily an iPhone, the current batch of top Android phones are on par or slightly better in my opinion.

Quad HD super amoled screens are stunning, far superior to the iPhone LCD display, especially the low res 4.7 model. Low light camera performance isn't great, the iPhone 7 should rectify it, but the autofocus on the new S7 is ridiculously fast.

The just announced LG V20 is an audio visual beast, Huwawei phones are fantastic on a budget. I've been guilty of blindly following Apple, staunchly believing they're the best around, but with the current price hike, mediocre upgrades on this year's models, I think I'll give it a miss this year.

Reactions: VMukhtarov

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
iPhone is still behind the competition hardware-wise (though this new processor is top level - for now). But the iOS ecosystem is still superior. Apps tend to be better and are updated quicker than their Android counterparts. And if you are a Mac user, integration with Macs, in things like Handoff, is solid.

owz206

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
No doubt they're software is better integrated, but I think Google are getting there. What I find strange is the need for people to blindly run Android down, I like both operating systems and ecosystem, and only an idiot would claim Android devices are far behind an iPhone

owz206

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I'd really love a form of quick charge in the iPhone , I can't see why it hasn't been implemented yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.