iPhone 7 [Merged]

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The way I imagine it, it wouldn't be a replacement for Touch ID, the same way Touch ID wasn't a replacement for the passcode. Just another option. You could even disable it if you wanted.
If you pay attention you'll notice Apple tends to try and give you three ways to do any specific thing. Having passcode lock, TouchID and a voiceprint method too would be very much in line with Apple's nominal UI aesthetic.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
They make water proof cases you know...
Yep, I have contemplated that, but they are all very bulky and not nearly as nice as just having the phone itself be waterproof. The only real complaint I have with the sony that I used to have was that after using it for a while I don't like android, but the actual design wasn't bad and the waterproofing didn't harm anything. I'm sure once apple does eventually add it then all of the people saying it's no big deal will be going on and on about how wonderful it is to have...

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
OLED. The time has come!
Agreed.

Why does everyone want "wires charging"??? I find it LESS convenient than plugging in. I regularly use my phone in bed WHILE it is pugged in and charging, if charging was only wireless those days would be gone. I am not saying it would be a bad option or a bad addition, but I just don't get it.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
iPhone 7 predictions:

- Cutting off the 16 Gb version, now offering 32, 64 and 128 Gb of space.
- More intense colors, e.g. I think they will use the slate black of the latest iPod touch for the iPhone 7.
- Wireless charging and fast-charging
- Updated Retina-Display with denser pixels and higher resolution
- Same camera set as the current iPhone 6s, probably a front-facing flash
- Edgy and more adult design, not as the current curvy design in the iPhone 6/6s
- 2 Gb of RAM
- Advanced 3D-Touch with enhanced features
- Physical home-button
- A10 chip
- No new color, instead, you'll be able to chose a black-front on gold back and other combinations.
- Improved battery life

Reactions: GrumpyMom

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
Apple used to surprise us. We used to be wowed every few years in an amazing way. Tweaking the specs for camera, resolution, screen size, ect. is not surprising. What would Apple add to iPhone 7 that actually makes us say WOW!

My ideas are:
  1. eInk display on the back of the phone.
  2. No headphone port and free Bluetooth headphones.
  3. Waterproof
  4. Shock resistant
  5. Projector
  6. Affordable smart house devices to pair with phone.
  7. Wireless charging
  8. Touch screen responds to hovering over
Let me know your ideas of REAL surprises.
check out the yotaphone 2 it is the first phone to have 5" LED front and e-ink display on back, it is very nicely designed but because its android the battery life isn't great, about 5 hours screen on time

main improvements for iPhone 7 would be increase in pixel density to 1080p so it becomes nice and sharp at around 450ppi and it would be a nice surprise to native back solution that didn't make it slippy to hold, adding a case adds to the bulk and size.

Reactions: sparrky

iKor

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I think if they dont remove the home button they should find a way to wrap the screen around it and the front facing camera/speaker grill.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2015
No "gate" issues. I've switched to the "s" series to avoid these unforgivable mistakes such as antennagate (messed me up on a phone interview) and bendgate

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Agreed.

Why does everyone want "wires charging"??? I find it LESS convenient than plugging in. I regularly use my phone in bed WHILE it is pugged in and charging, if charging was only wireless those days would be gone. I am not saying it would be a bad option or a bad addition, but I just don't get it.
Me either.. people clamoring for "wireless charging! wireless charging!".. big whoop, I don't see the attraction. Is it that hard to plug in?

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I love the Samsung adverts of wireless charging where the top quarter of the video shows a wire sticking, ironically, out of the 'wireless' charger. That of course is my jealousy talking, I would love to carry around a huge wireless charger to plug into a power outlet.....
Back to topic, the biggest surprise would be if it would run either Android or Windows.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Me either.. people clamoring for "wireless charging! wireless charging!".. big whoop, I don't see the attraction. Is it that hard to plug in?
You're at an airport. There are no wall sockets, because - that's what it's like at airports.
The coffee shop has wireless charging built into the table surfaces of all the tables.

You're in a hotel room, and the sick gits who made the room design put the only sockets the opposite side of the room to the bed. But the bedside table either side has charging.

You have 3 children each with an iPod Touch, you have an iPhone, your partner has an iPhone - and you have the house iPad. Do you want 5 different chargers, or 1 wireless one that can charge multiple devices at the same time?

You can trust the wireless charging - as it wouldn't be data - but if you had wired charging, you have the big security risks of plugging your phone into an unknown cable (and whatever is on the other end).

Reactions: Statusnone88

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Curved screen, perhaps akin to the Galaxy S6 Edge/Edge+ and no home button.

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
"The iPhone 7 is built using an amazing colour e-Ink / aluminum hybrid metal, allow you to change the color of the phone on the fly via software settings while still maintaining a luxurious metallic sheen."

What would Apple add to iPhone 7 that actually makes us say WOW!

Let me know your ideas of REAL surprises.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Buttonless. They've already laid the foundation for removing the home button: 3D Touch now can handle the multitasking, Siri is activated with your voice, and they've patented several ways to integrate fingerprint recognition into a portion of the display. All they need to do is relocate CC to the NC and do a swipe up to go home and they eliminate the need for a home button.
Swipe up to go home was a thing on the Blackberry Z10/Q10 and it was a giant pile of garbage. No thanks.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2007
New OLED higher resolution display.
No more home button - screen can detect your fingerprint anywhere when you force touch it.
No more 16 GB model.
No more SIM slot.
Magnetic ApplePay like Samsung pay has - you can use it basically anywhere with a card reader.
Wireless charging

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
"Apple has reached an amazing deal with all carriers worldwide. You can now get global cellular access on all carriers when you sign up with one of Apple's cellular subscription plans."

Reactions: ElectronGuru

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
"Apple has reached an amazing deal with all carriers worldwide. You can now get global cellular access on all carriers when you sign up with one of Apple's cellular subscription plans."
i think you just described the nightmare!

we dont need to play with carriers here, and i certainly dont even want to think about that scenario.

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
"The iPhone 7 now comes in only 1 size capacity, 2TB of storage @ the same price as the iPhone 6S was with 16GB. It also comes with 2TB of iCloud storage for free for 2 years, or you can opt to choose any kind of cloud service in lieu"

Reactions: QuarterSwede

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
"The iPhone 7 comes with a 3D color holographic projector with virtual tactile response! Now you can lay your iPhone on a table and play amazing games or manipulate objects in 3D virtual space"

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
This year is the cooling trend, even if only slightly.

Sales won't measure up to the typical Hype. In fact it's the Circus like act that Apple has used all along that will eventually bite them in the rear. Common sense alone proves you cannot keep the accelerated growth going forever.

Next year will be incredibly challenging for Apple. If it's another year of a slow slide, the company built on smoke and mirrors, hype and clever product naming, will be in for the ride of their life.

While they will certainly carry on selling, managing over the top expectations they've set will be a daunting task. It will be entertaining to witness. History in the making.