iPhone 7 [Merged]

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
"The iPhone 7 comes with an advanced next-generation battery. It can now last 1 month before needing a recharge, and can be fully recharged in less than 5 minutes by exposing it to sunlight. You'll never have to recharge it ever again!"

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
The galaxy edge phones are by far the best looking handsets on the market so apple has to try and find a solution to that.

Wireless charging has its merits as one poster identified above. Wireless charging points are bound to pop up all over coffee shops and public spaces. I think this will especially be the case if all apple and samsung devices have this equipped (i.e 95% of the market!).

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
"Apple introduces the next revolution in displays.... pixel-less infinite resolution displays. By achieving a breakthrough in molecular manipulation, the next generation screens actually alter the molecules on the screen, rendering perfectly readable output in bright sunlight at any resolution."

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
-Higher res screen. Maybe not 4K but 2k.
-Upgraded camera of course.
-new space gray color
-edge to edge display would be my guess
-I think they'll go back to the industrial look.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I think the reason no one is surprised anymore is because all of the leaks! Literally, every new feature/design of the last iPhones have been leaked weeks/months before the reveal event. So when the event is shown, no ones surprised because we all know what to expect.

That's what I hate anyway. I just think Apple should shut down tight on all info, so it's less likely for leaks, then when the next device is revealed I'll be more surprised and excited as I didn't have any inclinations on my expectations.
It's the volume of the phones and manufacturing leaks that are the problem. Those aren't going away any time soon. Once they get the Austin plan turning volume like China, then the leaks should be controlled. I mean look at the nMP. Nobody saw that coming cause it was all done stateside with control.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's funny how a thread about "how can iPhone 7 surprise us" is mostly rehashing of existing specs of (mostly Android) smartphones out there now.

Let's be real... if it's already implemented somewhere else, it's not going to be very surprising is it?

Reactions: geoff5093 and Nand

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Man I'd love to have a waterproof phone. But I don't think Apple will deliver in fear of users abusing that feature and claiming for warranty

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
How about not calling it iPhone 7? Just call it iPhone and dump this nonsense of selling 3 generations. With most of the carriers moving to installment plans, is the $10/month difference worth getting a 3 year old phone? The iPhone and iPad lineup has gotten as out of control as Gil Amelio's mid-90's Macintosh lineup. I get queasy whenever someone asks me "How much is an iPad?"

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
A curved screen like that won't happen. That phone was a flop and rightfully so. Its lame.
If Apple releases a curved edge screen, better believe masses of people will oggle over it, and call it the best screen ever on a phone. Btw, the S6 Edge+ is the best screen ever on a phone, and it's not lame (Sony Z5 Premium which I haven't seen in person should be nice too).

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I think the reason no one is surprised anymore is because all of the leaks! Literally, every new feature/design of the last iPhones have been leaked weeks/months before the reveal event. So when the event is shown, no ones surprised because we all know what to expect.

That's what I hate anyway. I just think Apple should shut down tight on all info, so it's less likely for leaks, then when the next device is revealed I'll be more surprised and excited as I didn't have any inclinations on my expectations.
They actually didn't do too bad this time around. We had NO idea about Live Photos, whether it actually would have 2GB RAM, faster Touch ID, if the new camera would definetly record 4K, or the majorly increased FaceTime camera. We knew about the big features like 3D Touch but overall I was still surprised!

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
1) they can add split screen support. It would fit perfectly in the left over space from double tapping for reach ability.

2) they can get rid of antenna lines. (They've aquired a company that blends different materials together to look seem less )

3) less bezels. They can incorporate Touch ID into the screen and just add a feature for "home"- when authenticating an app purchase you can just place your finger on a pop up area on the screen.

4) they might not add front facing speakers because they want to have a clean look, but the can at lease add multiple speakers like on the iPad pro

5) stylus support. Sing with Apple made cases with a stylus holdter * Apple Pencil Mini*

6) a darker space grey colour and black front plates for gold and silver options

7)an even better taptic engine that incorporates feelings of objects on the screen. ( the artificial physical feeling of a joystick)

8) hmm.. What else

tgwaste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2013
I really hope that rumor never comes true. If you don't want a SIM buy a used Verizon iPhone 4, those didn't have any SIM slot.
There is no need what-so-ever for a SIM card in phones today. They will go away within the next 2 iPhone iterations.

amsimone

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Realistically it will have a nice and elegant new form factor.
Most likely thinner and with additional battery life.
Some internal upgrades as far as chip and possibly camera upgrades.
Maybe wireless charging. 32GB base model and getting rid of the 16gb completely would be great.
I don't see waterproofing or headphone removal.
Maybe a new home button that's non-mechanical.
I have been biting my tounge on a lot of these posts, but this is not a thread about what the iPhone 7 will be like. This is strictly about wow elements. Specifically not regarding spec updates like the chips in the phone. Changing the numbers on the spec spreadsheet is not amazing, that's what we expect.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
There is no need what-so-ever for a SIM card in phones today. They will go away within the next 2 iPhone iterations.
And why do you say that? Do you think people don't want to switch carriers? What about those who travel international and switch SIMS to get cheaper service when abroad?