Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Decent low-light photo of the Charthouse on PCH in Cardiff-By-the-Sea, California.

Attachments

• IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    711.9 KB · Views: 196

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
actually focal length doesnt matter. its aperture (f stop) that matters for low light.
The Iphone 7 plus has two lenses. One is a 28mm f/1.8, and the other is a 56mm f/2.8. I think we can safely assume that those focal lengths are specified in "full frame equivalent" terns. Otherwise the physics would be ...interesting..

Nine to five Mac quotes a reddit user as saying

Using the EXIF data from the teaser photos courtesy of Sports Illustrator, we can calculate the sizes of both sensors (some of their photos were taken with the telephoto lens). Apple claims a 28mm (in 35mm equivalent) wide angle lens for the main sensor, and 56mm lens for the telephoto (35mm equivalent calculation, again).

The actual focal length of the main camera is 3.99mm, derived from one of the photos EXIF data. A 1/3in sensor has a crop factor of 7.21, and the iPhone 6S’ sensor is 1/3in. The math is below:

iPhone 6S (1/3in sensor) = 4.15mm x 7.21 = 29.92mm for a 35mm equivalent lens.

iPhone 7 Plus main sensor = 3.99mm x (7.21?) = 28.7679mm, very close to Apple’s claimed 28mm.

iPhone 7 Plus telephoto sensor = 6.6mm x (8.6?) = 56.8mm, very close to the claimed 56mm as well. For a 1/3.6in sensor, the crop factor is 8.6.

so, not only does the wide angle lens have a stop and third advantage over the longer lens, the sensor under the telephoto lens is smaller, and therefor less sensitive than the sensor under the wide angle lens. Thus, in low light, the camera software opts for digital zooming.
[doublepost=1475387494][/doublepost]
Yep, telephoto lenses in general are not well suited to low light photography, so Apple just doesn't use it when the camera software determines that the quality would be worse than just digital zooming with the wide angle lens. Even the $350 telephoto lens I have for my Sony mirrorless camera stinks in low light compared to the kit and wide angle lenses.

You just don't have the right sort of telephoto.

300f2edif.jpg

Last edited:

kanyehameha

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
king's landing
Few more shots just playing around with the depth effect in low light. On vacation and haven't even taken the 5D out of my bag yet, this is just so much fun to shoot on.

5ghfwv7.jpg

OEB0Ckm.jpg
zmibsYD.jpg
hfnkt4R.jpg
wtf these are amazing! Do you have IG or something, I wanna see more pics you've taken with the iPhone.
Also, what did you use to edit the pics?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I soooooo want the plus by now, just because of this thread. Please keep it coming until mid November when I'll get it :rolleyes:

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
wtf these are amazing! Do you have IG or something, I wanna see more pics you've taken with the iPhone.
Also, what did you use to edit the pics?

https://www.instagram.com/skidu/

98% of them are taken on the iPhone going all the way back to the 4s I think lol, with maybe about 3/4 dslr shots in there.

Mainly use vsco and Lightroom these days, the detail from the DNG files is awesome.

A wee trip round Edinburgh

Great shots! Love the telephoto picture of the horse statue.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
well it isnt doing well either.. something wrong with the lens.
Yup, my 6s+ only took pics like that when the lens was dirty. Otherwise the other possibility is that the phone developed condensation in the lens. I hope the buyer knew he was getting a phone with issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.