Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
ok, but in the future, if its ever foggy like that, the lens is usually dirty from oils. needs cleaner. not just wipe otherwise you are just smearing it.

Fair enough thanks for the advice dude, got some phone cleaner stuff at home so will use it every now and then going forward

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yup, my 6s+ only took pics like that when the lens was dirty. Otherwise the other possibility is that the phone developed condensation in the lens. I hope the buyer knew he was getting a phone with issues

Sold it to CPW so doubt they care too much

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
These strange colonies of mushrooms have appeared in the driveway so I decided to take a picture.

c6OY45e.jpg

Reactions: Shanghaichica

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
Yeah I know, but the longer the lens the smaller the aperture. They go together.

uh no. canon makes 400mm f2.8, a 200mm f2, a 200mm f1.8, a 300mm f2.8 a 70-200 f2.8 and plenty other companies make a f2.8 or better with telephoto or super telephoto options.

the only time you'll get faster than 1.8 is if you go less than 100mm, which is still better than the mediocre camera on the iPhone 7

Reactions: Setarip

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Yeah I know, but the longer the lens the smaller the aperture. They go together.

It's a ratio.

f stop= focal length/diameter of entrance pupil.

(Camera lens are compound lenses. In a compound lens system, the entrance pupil is the optical image of the aperture, as seen from outside the camera. The aperture is physically smaller than this, and is magnified by the front elements.)

Increase the focal length, and you need to increase the size of the entrance pupil to compensate. That's why cheap zoom lenses tend to be faster at the wide end, and slower at the long end. But if you can pay for the glass, you can get fast telephoto lenses with much larger entrance pupils.

So..

The iphone 7 plus has a 4mm lens and a 6.6 lens.
The 4mm lens is f/1.8. That means that the entrance pupil has a diameter of 2.2 mm.
The 6.6mm lens is f2.8. That means that the entrance pupil has a diameter of 2.35mm

The 6.6mm lens has the larger of the two entrance pupils. It has the smaller fstop, because it's not that much larger.

Reactions: skidu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.