iphone 7 Water resist.... I am verry verry disapointed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thefather, Nov 30, 2016.

1. thefather macrumors newbie

hi,
    My boy (four years old) dropped the new iPhone 7 (on contract) in bucket fill with water, pseudo home button stop working properly, return to cellular provider with warranty, they answer me that water stickers are colored- warranty void, replaced phone for 400 euro!
    Talk with Apple, nice employee told me- blah, blah (technology is not there yet....) that warranty is only for water splash, not for dropped in water!
    I am filing very, very frustrated! I was thinking that Apple do things differently, (where is then 3.5 mm jack then), I think Tim Cook speaks inaccurate things, also I am filing like marketing victim!
    Thank you Apple, am your customer since 2007 year (macs - 5 of them, 5 -iPads, 6- iphones, 1 -watch) and I think never ever will be fooled of you again, I am a wake up - you are another greed company with nice face!
    Just want to share!
    Thank you!
    This Is from Bulgaria EU!

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I understand your frustration. But you permitted your son to handle your iPhone and it's not Apple's fault it was dropped in a bucket of water. The iPhone was submerged in a bucket of water for how long? In any case, its water resistant, not water proof. Water damage isn't covered for reasons stated as yours. Lesson learned, keep your iPhone out of the hands of children and away from buckets of water.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That sucks that your phone died, but you should read and understand the warranty instead of assuming things.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm going to side with the OP here. The iPhone 7s are rated to to IP67 which means they should be able to remain submerged in 1 meter of water for up to 30 mins. Dropping a iPhone into a bucket shouldn't be enough to kill an iPhone unless it sat submerged for quite a while.

5. thefather thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, ok , but there is misleading advertising, who cares for IP67 certificate when water damages is not covered with warranty! This was a main reason to remove 3.5 mm jack!

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Questions:

Did you buy the warranty from your cellular provider or from Apple?

If you bought it from the cellular provider, why would you take it to Apple and ask them to honor it?

Did the Apple employee explain how they would know the difference between a "splash" of water and a "drop into" water? This sounds a little odd to me, and I suspect that this person has bad information.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oh good. Let's start this debate again. It hasn't been argued to death until being eventually locked by mods in enough threads already. o_O:confused::p

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Thanks for your post that contributed nothing at all to the conversation. This is a forum for discussion, if you do not like a particular discussion you are free to ignore it and not post. K, Thanks, Bye.

9. thefather thread starter macrumors newbie

Cellular provider reject a warranty because of water insaid(two red stickers), and I ask Apple. Employee said that splash is covered but drop not. But I think to myself "if is water get in with splash how the service guy will tell the difference?"

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

This probably won't stop the same things getting repeated again and again here, but the same discussion about this kind of thing has already happened multiple times with basically all the same things said:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/do-not-get-your-iphone-7-wet.2004243/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-jet-black-7-bricked-water-damage.2006929/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-water-damage.2017009/

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You're very welcome. Always happy to help out.

Case and point below.

And @C DM , don't forget this gem of a thread in the Wasteland:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wife-cracked-iphone-7-plus-screen.2017557/

12. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Sorry to hear about your phone, but honestly, a bucket of water? Apple never said it was waterproof.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Apple.com:

"iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty."​

14. 3lionsbecks, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Apple should not being using the water resistance as a key part of the markietng of iPhone 7 if they aren't going to back up their claims.

I haven't had the issue of water damage to my phone thankfully but if I had I would have expected it to be cover by warranty as well.

Hell, they advertise the Apple Watch 2 for swimming and provide a swimming workout option as part of their built in app but still don't cover water damage to the watch.

Bonkers

15. thefather thread starter macrumors newbie

and what you suggest, to cover our heads, because it is repeating!
    Or to say "oh one more dump as*", bat next time maybe it is your turn to be fooled!

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I feel like I'm reading a bad fortune cookie here.

17. C DM, Nov 30, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

You can see all of the same "suggestions" mentioned and discussed multiple times in those earlier linked threads discussing the same things.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's exactly my point...they wouldn't know. So they probably couldn't issue a warranty that says "we cover damages by splashes only".

I think your next steps should be to make sure you know exactly what your warranty says about water damage and who is responsible for fixing it (is it Apple, the cellular company, or you). Then you can approach whoever is responsible (if anybody) and get them to honor the warranty.

19. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Keep your head in the sand, it's where you're most comfortable anyways.

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

"iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty" (Apple official website).

"6 (in IP Code) - No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow".
    "7 (in IP Code) - Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion for up to 30 minutes)". (Wikipedia etc.).

No contradiction at all. /s

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Like @willmtaylor and @C DM in have stated, the reasoning for this has already been explained.

The iPhone 7/7+ is IP67 water resistant, it's not waterproof. Water can still get into the phone, and Apple has no way of knowing how it happened. If they can't tell if it was an accidental drop in a small puddle or some clown decided to go scuba diving with it, they can't possibly warrant the IP67 rating. No one can.

22. willmtaylor, Nov 30, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Relevance?
    Either way, ad hominem ? Nice way to jump back into MRF after several months off.

Fun fact: ostriches actually don't do that. It's an old wive's tale.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not even so much that the reasoning has been explained, but that essentially all the comments about it all (agreeing, disagreeing, etc.) have already been made multiple times in multiple threads about the same thing, where essentially nothing new was already coming up in those threads for some time, and basically won't come up here.

24. T5BRICK, Nov 30, 2016

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're confusing marketing and reality. Next time read up instead of just assuming things.

No, they removed the headphone jack because they have "courage."

25. foxconn Suspended

Anyone else hate when people say "I've bought this apple product and that apple product".. as if apple gives a damn or will give you special treat meant cause you spent thousands on their products.