Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
It's not even so much that the reasoning has been explained, but that essentially all the comments about it all (agreeing, disagreeing, etc.) have already been made multiple times in multiple threads about the same thing, where essentially nothing new was already coming up in those threads for some time, and basically won't come up here.

I hear you. That part doesn't really bother me though. Message boards aren't really any different than any other medium for discusssion. You probably hear the exact same discussions rehashed over and over again at the office, out with friends, at relatives houses, etc. Sometimes you get a fresh point of view, but usually it's just the same discussion.

Now, if its facts, like an answer to a question that has to keep getting restated (like why Apple can't warranty against water damage), I can understand the frustration there.

Reactions: timeconsumer

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I hear you. That part doesn't really bother me though. Message boards aren't really any different than any other medium for discusssion. You probably hear the exact same discussions rehashed over and over again at the office, out with friends, at relatives houses, etc. Sometimes you get a fresh point of view, but usually it's just the same discussion.

Now, if its facts, like an answer to a question that has to keep getting restated (like why Apple can't warranty against water damage), I can understand the frustration there.

Of course you can always ignore the posts that have to do with water resistance if the info isn't relevant to you. Especially if the topic annoys you.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Yes, ok , but there is misleading advertising, who cares for IP67 certificate when water damages is not covered with warranty! This was a main reason to remove 3.5 mm jack!

Name a company that will cover a phone or any electronic device that has been water damaged? The phone is not meant to be submerged in a bucket of water. The water resistant rating is to be able to get it wet like in the rain, drop it in the sink, etc and not get it completely damaged like in the past.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
I agree with those saying that Apple is misleading its customers since IP67, heavy marketing focus on water-resistance features, + several high profile ads with the iPhone either being or seemingly about to be used in heavy rain situations would lead one to assume that they are waterproof as per the IP67 certification.

However, in terms of what's written, Apple is very careful to not say 'waterproof' and instead says 'water resistant'. Two different things, the moment something is submerged that enters the realms of waterproofing not water resistance. Sadly for us consumers Apple obviously did just enough to pass IP67 but are explicitly stating that water damage is not covered by the warranty since they are fully aware that they just barely passed the certification test.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Of course you can always ignore the posts that have to do with water resistance if the info isn't relevant to you. Especially if the topic annoys you.

I never said this topic annoyed me personally, I said I understand people's frustration over repetitive questions and answers and used your post as an example.

Hopefully my answer helped you to understand why Apple can't warranty against water damage. No hard feelings.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
Name a company that will cover a phone or any electronic device that has been water damaged? The phone is not meant to be submerged in a bucket of water. The water resistant rating is to be able to get it wet like in the rain, drop it in the sink, etc and not get it completely damaged like in the past.

While what you say is true, the point is that it's advertised as such. It's like a restaurant saying our food is the freshest food but then making you sign a waiver stating 'if i get food poisoning from this fresh food i will not hold the restaurant accountable'.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Clever marketing. This was used on the keynote but it doesnt actually show the phone in the water.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.PNG
    IMG_2359.PNG
    538.8 KB · Views: 281

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
A vest that's resistant to bullets is bullet-proof.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/resistant

Water-resistant: able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely

Water-repellent: not easily penetrated by water, especially as a result of being treated for such a purpose with a surface coating

Waterproof: impervious to water

http://www.hzo.com/waterresistant-waterrepellent-waterproof-whats-difference/

" Water-resistant, this is the lowest level of water protection of the three."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
wasn't that specific part actually shown to highlight the lack of water-resistance features in the older phones?
With the implication that the new phone would be able to withstand that?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lots of people claim that the i7 is a big improvement over the 6S purely due to the water resistance, but it seems that due to the manufacturing process some iPhones are more water resistant than others. See YouTube for examples. I'm not one to historically need a water resistant phone but everyone can have that one awful accident, and let's face it the iPhone 7 cannot be relied upon to survive any brushes with water.

Saying that a phone is water resistant but then not guaranteeing it as such means the 'feature' is pretty worthless. Moving forwards I think it's best to assume that all phones (not just Apple) aren't water resistant at all and that if they survive a dunk then it's a bonus.

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
I don't think there is any warranty for water damage. The phone has been tested to meet a certain water resistant standard. Making it less likely your phone will be damaged by water.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Otterbox used to have water proof case...and now lifeproof has water proof/resistant.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I would like to focus more on the bucket itself. Why was the bucket full of water? How full was the bucket? Would you consider your water quality to be hard or soft? Was it a long shallow rectangular bucket or was it a tall narrow bucket with a handle looping over the top?? How many buckets do you own that are filled with water at any one time???

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Anyone else hate when people say "I've bought this apple product and that apple product".. as if apple gives a damn or will give you special treat meant cause you spent thousands on their products.

LOL. So true. Or I've been a loyal apple customer for x amount of years... Pretty sure that matters. They have this notebook where they write down who their loyal customers are and treat them differently from the ones that just buy accessories.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
With the implication that the new phone would be able to withstand that?

Fair enough, actually looked that part up on youtube.

For those that can't be bothered to jump links, here's a transcript.

Phil Schiller: ... IP67 protection standard. What does this mean for all of us? Well... (clicks remote and the picture in question pops up) even the least coordinated among of us don't have to worry in case some unusual mishap happens that your iPhone will be safe from water or dust.

So ok, they actually insinuate complete waterproof features. That picture insinuates more than the warranty covered 'splash' damage.

EDIT:

to add more info on what IP67 actually means.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

IP - International Protection

6 - Dust tight - No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.

7 - Immersion, up to 1 m depth - Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

The testing requirements:
Test duration: 30 minutes - ref IEC 60529, table 8.

Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I don't understand what the argument is. "Our phone is IP67"... IP67 = 1 meter 30 minutes.. "Oh you cannot splash water on it, it's not waterproof so your warranty is void".

So then it's NOT IP67 tested if a bucket of water (not 1 meter and not 30 minutes) destroyed it.

"Splash of water" or "splash of rain" is not IP67. It's closer to IPX5. If this is truly the way it is, this is beyond idiotic and I don't understand why consumers just bend over and take it up the ass and buy again from the same company. Either that, or there is more to this story ... like the bucket was actually a lake, and the lake was boiling, and was 85 feet deep, and his kid was actually the lockness monster and it took him 2 weeks to get to the phone because he had to fight off the monster, wait for the lake to cool off and get the right equipment to get to it.

This message was written on old fashion paper! *
* Paper was not used to write this message. Using paper voids this warranty.

Last edited:

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I'm going to side with the OP here. The iPhone 7s are rated to to IP67 which means they should be able to remain submerged in 1 meter of water for up to 30 mins. Dropping a iPhone into a bucket shouldn't be enough to kill an iPhone unless it sat submerged for quite a while.
Exactly, i saw a picture on apple event, where a guy falls into the water with his iphone out with his arm and they said it was something people should no longer worry.
[doublepost=1480542233][/doublepost]
guys and girls thx for support, I forgive them, and I don`t give f.... any more!
Have a nice and peaceful Christmas holydays and Happy New Year!
Out from me :)
You should have fought more, I'm sure you would have gotten an exchange for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.