iPhone 8 Concepts and Mockups - Part 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jkruehne macrumors member

jkruehne

hmm, never get the idea that all of the "mockUps" did this ugly statusbar implementation – I am pretty sure this won't happen ever ; )

2. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

Exactly why this awful concept would never fly in the real world.

Anyone who begs for this edge to edge display has no grasp of how much hand fatigue you'd get from holding the phone very awkwardly just to avoid accidental touches.

Also, people who want to debate me, count how often you rest your thumb on the home button / bottom area to help stabilize the phone, then get back to me...

Despite Apples track record recently, even they would not release something this impractical.

[​IMG]

3. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

People are going to be very disappointed.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

Certainly if the screen size is 5.1 inches of usable screen

5. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

This is why I can't stand that "iPhone X" concept. Why waste valuable screen space to include a virtual home button positioned all by itself under the dock apps?

6. bollman macrumors regular

That is only true for a phone which is very wide. Who needs to "stabillize" a iPhone5 or similar? It's perfectly stable without touching any edge of the screen.
    Also, read smacmunons post, the edge could very well be used for other things than actual springboard screen real estate.

7. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

You can do it since forever.

8. braintumor macrumors regular

Its funny how these concept designs are soooo ambitious and in the end apple doesn't come close to deliver, maybe apple brings 1 or 2 new features that they keep talking about and hyping up and that will be enough to keep the cash-cow alive and the sheeps will buy.

Me for my part, I don't expect much from apple, very happy with my iphone6 and actually looking at what the S8 will be.

Like suggested by some, if apple will come with an oled hyper iphone, they will price it above the plus models and that for me is far too much I am willing to pay for any smartphone...

9. Chupa Chupa, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

True, but just because the screen is edge to edge doesn't mean the entire screen has to be touch sensitive. It's possible to have "virtual" bezels, an inactive space on the edges where the bezels would otherwise be. It gives the user the benefit of a larger reading screen without the aggravation or hand fatigue of holding a phone by it's edges.

Also, most people will put their phone in a case which makes the phone thicker (easier to hold) and puts space between the edge of the phone and the user's fingers.

However one detracts from Apple's designs, it's not going to introduce a phone that is ultimately as unusable as you write about. If anything TC is too conservative on design fearing it will alienate customers and hurt sales. He's not going to push anything that makes the iPhone cash cow moan instead of moo.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    These designs are hardly ambitious. If anything they are incredibly lazy. It's basically an iPhone 6/7 and they Photoshoped the home button away. So, Apple design, slightly modified.

More to your point, these are Photoshops. When the laws of physics and technological availability are suspended, sure anything is possible. But Apple is constrained by what is actually possible and feasible. Fantasy only works on paper, games, and celluloid.

10. ramm24 macrumors member

11. Freida macrumors 65816

What amazes me is that these so called designers have the skill and probably education to create concepts YET they completely fail to create something that would fit within Apple's mentality. That to me tells me that the "designer" doesn't understand the client and hence its a fail.

Anyway, I hope Apple will surprise us with something beautiful and if not then the current design is OK. Bezels could be reduced but until they find a way to make home button practical and easy to use then we won't see it.

12. ChrisChaval macrumors member

ChrisChaval

In terms of timing, I find it a bit strange that Apple might reveal a bezel less ipad (with OLED screen) during a rumored april event, several months before presenting the same design and technology by introducing the iphone edition ...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    yeah, I know that technology quite well. It's called "just look, don't touch"

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish Apple would not copy Samsung. The phone looks nice but you need to have that small border around a touch screen.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

What technology? The one we haven't seen yet because Apple hasn't announced the phone yet? That one? Or something you've experienced on an Android phone?

15. ChrisChaval macrumors member

ChrisChaval

You know, it's the one you experience with your girlfriends .. ;)

Joking aside .. I think there already is some of that technology in place in iOS in order to prevent involuntary touch gestures near the bezels to be interpreted as actually inputs .. might be wrong though

16. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

To get a more accurate mock up just take a photo of current model and remove features. Voila!

17. shk718 macrumors 65816

apple has gotten very good at recognizing unintended touches. Look to the iPad pro for a good example. The OS knows if your resting your palm on it or drawing.

18. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and Spooner (when it's not 20 below)
    That is for sure. I would add that the consumer often doesn't know what they need and simply "wants" something because they think it looks cool. And the thing with both an iPhone and iPad are they are personal hand-held devices. Especially with the iPhone (and any other smart phone for that matter), its an item you've either got in your pocket / purse / bag when not using it, or you're holding on to it. Sure, there are cases with built-in stands, but it seems a bit silly to consider the iPhone a standalone desktop / tabletop device. The iPad makes more sense for this purpose, but I know for my particular use, I'm more often holding the iPad than using it while sitting at my desk (other than as a secondary screen for my rMBP (thanks to Duet).

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Back in 1984, the Macintosh computer had a screen with rounded corners.

20. ChrisChaval, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

ChrisChaval macrumors member

ChrisChaval

Exactly, That's what I remembered :)

Unintended touches ...

And no, I won't compare the capabilities of women and iOS at this point ;)

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

But that is how you should work (with some common sense added): You create the best possible design, and then the engineers tell you how close they can come to the design. You don't limit yourself to what you _know_ or _think_ the engineers can do.

22. Eggtastic macrumors 6502

Eggtastic

I see a lot of responses that go against what most of the concepts are showing. While unrealistic, apple needs to shed some bezel for the 8. Samsung's S8 looks wonderful.

23. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502

hawkeye_a

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate the perspective. I too have, to an extent, gotten "used" to the current system (the grid) in the same way you have. However, i do prefer the WebOS way, as you get to see the app running live in it's "card" and dont have to manage icons to mirror usage. To me, it just seems more "organic"(fits in) with the way I use my device.

24. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

To each his own. I might add, the Siri app suggestions (swiping down from the home screen) has also become a useful tool for me. It's actually quite good at guessing what I want to open next, and it's extremely fast. In fact, at this point I'd say I use it as much as I do the switcher.

25. thebeans macrumors regular

OK.... Mark Hover Mark sensitive Mark display Mark will Mark happen. Mark Mark Mark my Mark words :)