Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I would hate if the design becomes asymmetrical with funny business up top and awkwardness down bottom.

No. No. No.

Good effort rendering.

Reactions: Loge

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Incredible how so many years have passed and these called "designers" still don't get that Apple would never release a phone similar to these crazy "concepts".
Have to say, I really enjoy the crazy element in all these crazy concepts. It reminds me of airliner concepts. There's a great deal of dr Seuss' world that seems to enter into these ideas. Bravo to all those creative thinkers!

ffd56a16463a21da455a8baacbc44620.jpg

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There's gonna be disappointment when no OLED is announced in fall.

Well, take your pick, no OLED, same price. OLED, higher price.

Personally I think we will see and OLED model. Whether it will be affordable and obtainable are different questions. May very will be a rare bird like a Frozen Black M4, but I think Apple has to come out an appreciably new phone this year other than another color. If not then they will look like they are out of ideas -- even copycat ones.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
People really think it'll be called the iPhone X huh? Even though they got rid of the "X" moniker from macOS and the fact that the vast majority of people will end up calling it "iPhone ex" instead of "iPhone 10"?

Interesting.

Reactions: Defthand

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Personally those very large rounded bezels screams Apple, it's a soft look.

If Apple were to go all new, drastic, and a completely different direction, it would make everything ultra sharp on front, angular and rectangle, while curving everything from sides to the back.

It would be completely unlike Apple, but at the same time be entirely Apple.
I'm a designer and I'll bet you... if the phone has a screen that pretty much covers the entire phone (small or pretty much non-existing bezels) the corner radius will be a lot smaller...

In these mockups, they seem way out of proportion... It only works out in an aesthetic way on the current phones because of their large upper and lower bezels.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
How do you figure that would happen, if there is no physical home button? The Article states that it's unknown if advanced features of Siri will debut.

How so? wouldn't you still have to hold down the "home button" to activate it. I think the mock up is showing what it looks like while siri is activated.

see the iPhone X screenshot (second screenshot)

busuan

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2016
Has any one of these mock creators got hired by Apple? They could stop now. Most if not all mocks so far have zero-similarity with the real things.

TheHammer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
One thing about concept renderings is that physics does not apply... However in the cases of these renders they all look technically capable. Fingers crossed for an epic launch.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Where are any of the front facing sensors? If rumors of a 3D face scanning feature is true, expect more sensors upfront.

Otherwise, very nice. I think there's potential in the function bar.

Kiko007

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
Is it me, or do the posters around here bitch a lot? Like "Emo stuck at a school pep rally" bitchiness? There's always room for realism, but most of these replies are "It's gonna be lame bro....spec upgrade" and baseless speculation. Newsflash: Spec upgrades are pretty damn fantastic IMO. Unless you're just buying these phones to show off....then you've got a much bigger problem to deal with.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Meh. There's nothing to see here. Must be a slow day at the office for some.

I think what you meant to say, there is nothing here to see for you. Clearly you don't speak for the consensus. These renderings at least offer some type of detail of what we could expect, and let alone, it's fairly interesting to see where the iPhone could be headed. Wether you approve or not, it has nothing to do with a slow day at the office, is everything to do with rumors indicating what a purported iPhone could look like based off predictions.

Reactions: Zippalu

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'm hoping it has the landscape apps and home screen of the "plus" iPhones. Why? I want a smaller phone for carrying around, but I mirror my phone to screens pretty often and portrait-only first party apps can be a pain.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow, I am impressed! I am loving those concepts pictures! We're getting to a point where it will be very hard to recommend a Samsung device over an iPhone. Once Apple updates the hardware this Fall, and hopefully add a few more features to iOS, Apple should be in a great position.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Given the industrial design language of Apple has seen almost zero change in five years I doubt any of these will come close. Apple hasn't made any radical or exciting changes since the Mac Pro. I expect the next iPhone to look almost exactly the same as the current version.

Reactions: Demo Kit

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Screens will always have square corners.
Except for all the screens that are no longer squares?

Newer technologies have unlocked the ability to custom design display shapes, including rounded corners, or even circular displays .

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The first image.... Transparency type phone, and u'll know where to stick your finger .....to activate Siri..

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
The sad thing is...for what I do my 4S has more functionality (e.g. headphone jack) than the new iPhones. The word innovation seems to have slipped from Apple's vocabulary. Probably removed because an employee was "triggered" by the word. We need Apple to hire more fat people on the MBP team so they get triggered by the word "thin".

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I would say that more important than the bezels or glass back or oled or wireless charging or any of that is iOS 11. The iOS Springboard is tired. The OS as a whole functions well but the Springboard needs a massively radical overhaul. Grids of same sized icons and folders of grids of pages of icons is horrid. Leverage force touch and gestures to bring a completely rethought way to access apps and marry that to whatever exciting new hardware you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.