'iPhone 8' Could Reportedly Be Called 'iPhone Edition,' Ship Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If you think Apple's flagship won't be have units available on launch day, you're seriously smoking extra strong crack.

Inventory may be limited, but units will be shipping.

2. tharitm macrumors regular

tharitm

I miss those days when there was just one iPhone launched at an event. Why can't Apple just follow with having just two versions without having multiple versions like they've done with the iPad Line up? :(

3. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Actually, I'm still rooting for Phone to modernise the phone. (There can be only one.)

watch tv…Mac, Pad (sorry Trek), Book maybe… and if they ever do a new Mac Pro, it could be Pro. Much cleaner, less gimmicky, and a lot more pro looking lineup.​

That's if there is something special in the Phone, at all. We're all hoping so, embarrassed about the lack of a new design this year.
    Jony did promise 7 was the "Ultimate refinement" of the 6 design. Pray it wasn't the penultimate, although Apple could do a 7s (more realistic, based on past history), not do any *new* design and still say the 7s line is still the "ultimate" of the 6 design.

A ceramic (let it be black or purple, anything but white) Edition phone would be nice, for those who can afford it. Lets you know Apple are serious, unlike Mac Pro which gives no one any confidence that Apple wants a computer market anymore.

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm not buying it then. This stuff is supposed to become cheaper not more expensive.

5. pika2000 macrumors 601

I kinda want an updated SE instead.
    An SE with better front facing camera, faster Touch ID, and water proofing would be great. It's also a great camouflage as many people will think it's an older 5S. It makes a safer iPhone usage in some countries.

6. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

BORING.

There is already an iPhone called Edition...iPhone Special Edition.

Being that the iOS device that I really actually do stuff with is the iPad...I'm going to go with the smallest possible size next time around. I can wait an extra year (or two) for an OLED screen (what is the big deal with that, anyway? All tests give iPhone and iPad one of the best if not the best screens around already) and a "function bar" (especially if the MBP Touch Bar is anything to go by).

Creating more and more SKU's with just enough differentiation to squeeze out another dollar of profit. Just make them ALL the best they can be and continue to make $$$Billions! Why start to erode the amazing brand reputation built up? Apple used to be special in that they only offered Best, as opposed to the traditional "good, better, best" retail model (with the exception of storage options, where they have always done that).

7. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

A $1,000+ iPhone is a terrible idea. We want people upgrading more often, not less. If someone pays 1K+ for a phone, it's likely they will be holding onto it for a long time.

If this is the case, just skip the iPhone Edition and use the iPhone 7s with wireless charging, spec bumps and improved battery.

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

9. apolloa macrumors G4

Well considering the ludicrous price they charged for the Apple Watch Edition models I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPhone 8 start from over 2000 dollars up to 3000. I mean cook thought some gold was enough to multiply the Apple watch price ten fold and up!

10. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Lol. Oh lawd. Edition sounds expensive. Remember the Apple Watch?

11. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This is extremely likely to be the final name. It is more like Apple to call it iPhone Edition, compared to iPhone X... although both are solid names in my opinion.

As for the iPhone 8/Pro name, I don't know where it came from and why people expected that, but it was never going to be the name of the product.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If the rumors are true, that would lead to a 4.7 inch/5.5 inch LED iPhone, then perhaps the 5.8 OLED iPhone could be named the Edition. Likely to separate itself and create its own entity for the special features that it's going to attribute.

13. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

For some reason, the Edition name is very off putting. Whereas before I was a sure sale, the £1000 price tag and name cause me to lean towards not purchasing. It's just a phone after all.

14. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Jet Black ceramic with OLED display please. I still wouldn't buy it, but it would be awesome just to see it happen.

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

My slightly used Moto Z force, at $400 is looking better and better.

16. Sam.021 macrumors member

Sam.021

Now you are just getting ridiculous! You have now covered every single bloody possibility there is.

17. chazbcn, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

chazbcn macrumors member

The possibility of a "full" screened-front sounds great (sexy, minimalistic, very Apple-like).
    However, I don't like the possible wrap-around-the-sides screen that some of these reports claim the iPhone edition could have. It would look too much like the Galaxy Edge and, to date, it's been more of a aesthetic feature than a utility. Of course, Apple could do much more with software those curves useful, but I'm still not convinced it would look good or being a game-changing feature.
    It's not something I feel Jony Ive would like, given his taste for symmetry. He likes his porducts to be straight and aligned.
    What I envision is much more simple: the same rounded edges of the iPhone 6-7 series, without the home button or side bezels, shorter (half?) top and bottom bezels, all-black front and back (glass) and a jet black curved metal frame, so it would look like this solid slab of glass he's allegedly wanting to achieve.
    I'll be totally wrong on september, for sure, though ;)

18. chr1s60, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017

chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

That's an understatement.

19. WideEyedCopy macrumors newbie

I really hope it's not super ****ing expensive like the Apple Watch Edition. Watch it be like a minimum of $3,000 or some ******** like that. This really makes me not as exited for the 8, especially if it's gonna launch much later than the 7S models.

20. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

21. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I hate the "Edition" naming convention - it's just terrible grammar. Apple Watch Edition... iPhone Edition... Edition of what, exactly? There's a word missing.

22. Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

Think different.

23. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

probably all the same for everything, except the material for outer body.

24. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

"Apple is trying to gauge which materials and technologies they can procure at mass scale"
    Yes, for the iPhone 10+ I'm sure they are. For the 8, coming out in a few months, this is a ridiculous claim.

25. Paddle1 macrumors 68040