'iPhone 8' Could Reportedly Be Called 'iPhone Edition,' Ship Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2017.

1. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Since when does a name have to follow the rules grammar or even spelling for that matter?

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Assuming that Apple will return to making a Professional grade computer anytime soon.

3. MH01, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

MH01 Suspended

MH01

Hmmm the iPhone is high end . Given the 7 plus with AppleCare is in excess of £1000, come on .

What Tim is doing here is turning the current iPhones into the SE range, without the name and pretending to introduce an even higher tier of iPhone. In the past the 8 would just be the new iPhone. This is just a scam to get more money out of people and marketing .

4. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Welp that confirms it. It's 32GB for 1200. I am out. Galaxy S8 here I come

5. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

One can only imagine what a ceramic IPhone Edition 256gb would go for.
    Ive has likely got top class models already set to carry it on the runway during London Fashion week in September to pump his ego up even further.

6. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Well they couldn't call it X (10) because the current iPhone will be X in six years (7s,8,8s,9,9s,X). At least "Edition" lets people know it's going to be expensive à la Apple Watch Edition.

7. Bacillus, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

T: Guys - what do you feel the most compelling for a new iPhone name ?
    P: Well, speaking for myself, in my own vision - I've been in iPhone business for 10 years. Anniversary !
    G: We could shorten that by X
    J: Jubilee ! I had the best design, the only one and even something new after 4 years. Ceramic is so special.
    A: But we're not in pottery. I prefer Gold, as it better reflects my style. And the price...
    E: OLED just became mature enough. Only now, the market is ready
    P: Indeed, this Edition will be Ultimate
    T: Fine. I can't disappoint anyone, but we need to reflect diversity and social image. product (RED) !

So, say welcome to the "iPhone X Anniversary Ceramic Jubilee Gold OLED Ultimate Edition product (RED)"
    We will have 500 engineers working on phone name field expansion as an iOS11 exclusive.

8. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

This is a rumor.

9. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

I agree, anniversary years mean nothing to Apple. Where was the tenth anniversary iPod, iMac, Macbook (Pro)? It's fanboys who believe their phone is so important that Apple couldn't possibly not celebrate it's milestone birthday.

10. bmot macrumors regular

When talking about possible names for the upcoming iphone(s) please keep in mind that they also need to make sense in the coming years. Whatever they call this high end model this year, it will be updated in 2018 including its name.

11. Schizoid macrumors 6502a

Schizoid

Yep, don't worry about out-of-date computers, as long as we have ceramic phones everyone's happy.

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

The missing , implied word is "profit"
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Exactly , nothing special or unique about it. Just a rebranding with higher price . A slightly better version will be released each year

13. Marshall73 macrumors 65832

Marshall73

Yeah, long after the 7S and 7S Plus, like a year after and it will be called the iPhone 8. I believe that their have been rumours like this almost every year now 'Apple will jump straight to the next whole number and miss out a *S version this year'. Not happened yet.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68020

yeah, i don't like it either.

but then again, who cares about the name.

15. pika2000 macrumors 601

Yes and no.
    One would think, as you said, that someone who paid $1k for a phone would keep it longer.
    However, the iPhone is a status symbol in many parts of the world, and you don't want to be seen with an "older" iPhone. Yearly upgraders are not uncommon. Heck, look at Samsung. They intentionally release the S and Note series separately. People are actually buying those lock-step, more frequent than the normal yearly cycle. And this is actually not bad. Fashion is worse, where people spent thousands of dollars for a dress that they only wore once or twice.

16. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

I will buy an apple watch when they make an Apple Watch Pro. I want to be able to look at my watch in a truly professional manner, nothing like I can do now.

17. _arsenallo_ macrumors newbie

_arsenallo_

18. Taipan macrumors 6502

"Edition" is a stupid name. For uniformity, why not call the 7S and 7S Plus "Version" and "Model".

19. 576316 macrumors 601

The terrible thing is, you're probably not far off. I'm looking forward to seeing all these iPhone 8 enthusiasts squirm when they realise they massively underestimated Apple's ability to overcharge.

They're only fragmenting the iPhone line up. They needed to bring out the two same sizes, same price, new form. Instead of doing everything they can to screw over the maximum amount of people.

20. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Nothing is confirmed.

21. latweek macrumors regular

latweek

[​IMG]

22. sharleyP macrumors newbie

When I see rumours about the $1000 iPhone it always reminds me about this quote from Steve Jobs:

"What ruined Apple wasn't growth. What ruined Apple was values. John Sculley ruined Apple and he ruined it by bringing a set of values to the top of Apple which were corrupt and corrupted some of the top people who were there, drove out some of the ones who were not corruptible, and brought in more corrupt ones and paid themselves collectively tens of millions of dollars and cared more about their own glory and wealth than they did about what built Apple in the first place -- which was making great computers for people to use.

They didn't care about that anymore. They didn't have a clue about how to do it and they didn't take any time to find out because that's not what they cared about. They cared about making a lot of money. So they had this wonderful thing that a lot of brilliant people made called the Macintosh and they got very greedy. And instead of following the original trajectory of the original vision -- which was to make this thing an appliance, to get this out there to as many people as possible -- they went for profits and they made outlandish profits for about four years. Apple was one of the most profitable companies in America for about four years.

What that cost them was the future. What they should have been doing was making reasonable profits and going for market share, which was what we always tried to do.

23. andy.ringwood Suspended

Don't agree with it, but hey, it's only a name, it doesn't effect the phone. iPhone Pro would be better as it'd tie in with the existing Pro products on the market.
    If you're confused about THREE models, perhaps go and see someone, it's not rocket science.

24. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

No one is being screwed over. No one is being forced to buy anything, plus you should realise that this time of year the rumour machine is in full flow as websites try to get hits with all sorts of wild claims etc.
    No, that would be a very bad choice as it would make the standard models (i.e. the models that sell in their 100's of millions) sound inferior rubbish.

25. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

iPhone [10th Anniversary] Edition? Makes sense, but much too long. On that note, I also don't see the "Pro" label being used.

But I think I can breathe a sigh of relief - seems the premium iPhone 8 won't be a phablet!