'iPhone 8' Could Reportedly Be Called 'iPhone Edition,' Ship Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jimrod macrumors 65816

It's a bit sad that Apple feel the need to charge $1k + to give their users tech that their rivals have been successfully using for years. Unless I'm missing some magic ingredients aside from OLED panels?

2. rinik macrumors newbie

rinik

Or die after 56 years.?

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Sounds stupid

Why not bring them out together. Might just hold onto my 7 plus at this rate. Don't want a smaller screen

4. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

If it goes beyond $1000, they can keep it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Dude, that's dark. XD

5. plexdk macrumors 6502

Or it might be a step to drop numbers.

6. ACD0236 macrumors member

ACD0236

I don't like where this is going: I bought iPhones because they had excellent build quality and they were the only ones with premium materials. On top of that they got good software, albeit a little short on flexibility, and smart integration with other Apple devices (nothing that any one else could offer at the moment).

But now? Metal and glass phones are everywhere, and the build quality has improved greatly from the old days when all Samsung could crank out was crappy and creaky plastic alongside bloated software. I feel Apple had an advantage it now has lost, and the competition is almost up to par.

Aside from the competition, which still has not won me over because of the software (I am trying Windows 10 Mobile out of curiosity, which, aside from it being on the path to obsolescence, has a lot of potential suffocated by poorly refined apps, and will try some recent Android, but I don't think it will surprise me as it did not in the past), just look at the transition from the iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6: a more anonymous, bland design, with that camera bump and - at least mine has it - a nice gap between the front panel and the aluminum casing on the top edge. I left a perfectly built, unique phone, and got myself a good and reliable product with flaws I did not expect from Apple.

I bought all my phones on contracts, so price has never really been an issue since I paid between 1/3rd and 1/4th of the full price, but this summer my iPhone 6 will be two years old... not really needing replacement (and not having the RCA 3.5 mm jack is a problem, for me, as I use it a lot in my car, and no, I'm not changing my perfectly fine 2012 Audi nor adding a messy third-party aftermarket Bluetooth receiver), but if one time I was thinking of replacing it anyway just for the sake of getting a new fancy one, now I'm not so sure. I guess I'll just wait and see what's coming. They for sure will be fancy, but I don't think they will be for me, because I doubt Apple will return to its roots, and my MacBook and iPads are aging too, so I'm no more married to the company.

That's sad, because I loved every Apple product I owned aside from the current iPhone 6 (which is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not up to Apple's standard in my opinion) and would have happily bought others for the years to come.

7. Aston441 macrumors 65816

It's a name that speaks to Boomers. Boomers running things now is why everything is a disaster.

8. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

I'm glad for Apple that they are doing so well. "iPhone Edition" will certainly be a perfect gift for spoiled spouses and children. I myself look forward to the Nokia 5 or 6: original Android, dual SIM, 3000 mAh battery, great front facing camera (13 MP rear, 8MP front), HEADPHONE JACK, MicroSD card slot, all for less than $300, really excited what is going on there.

9. 6836838 Suspended

10. miknos Suspended

miknos

Expect a gimmicky stuff as an excuse to charge exorbitant price. Maybe the model will come with an engraving of Steve Jobs that glows. All your selfies will have that glow and people will know you paid $1500 for the latest iPhone!

We never know what idea that marketing woman will come.

I would love a device there size of the SE/5s without bezels and the latest components.

11. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

12. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

This must reflect amazing sales of Apple Watch Edition. Right?

13. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

I don't remember anyoneone calling the Macbook Air "inferior rubbish" and that was (is) sold along-side a Macbook Pro.

14. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

That's different as there are very strong cases for two (or more) separate computer product lines to exist. And you don't mess with the branding of a product that generates over three quarters of your revenue each year.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

so if the other two arent worth being called "Edition" surely we can expect a significant price drop for those? ;)

16. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

'iPhone 8' Could Reportedly Be Called 'iPhone Edition,' Launch Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions...

As in Fall 2018?

17. MR-LIZARD macrumors member

[/QUOTE]
    Grrrrr, that pesky "marketing woman!" Oh wait, isn't marketing handled by Schiller? A bloke? :)

One thing I would never accuse Apple of is gimmicky stuff. There might be something that not everyone finds useful (you can't please everyone all the time), but I can't put my finger on anything that's a gimmick.

18. manu chao macrumors 603

Yeah, Apple should have never released the SE or the Plus model. Those minority groups that prefer these sizes should not deserve to have those phones.

19. Nuvi macrumors 65816

Couldn't agree more. Android has now over 80% market share. Few years ago it was in single digits. Releasing "Edition" models that looks and feels like the next Samsung Galaxy makes very little sense. Granted, I have no idea what iPhone edition will look like but based on rumours the next Galaxy and iPhone edition seem to share same design philosophy. Apple needs to push more affordable models to gain market share. Naturally there needs to be flagship models but regular iPhone is already the most expensive regular smartphone so going even higher makes very little sense if competition undercuts the price by a large margin.

20. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

I wouldn't buy it "for the higher prices" i.e. just for a more premium body material like with the watch. But this phone is rumored to have actual technological improvements over the other models, which I would pay for.

21. shanson27 macrumors 65816

shanson27

22. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

If Apple gonna realease 3 iPhones and the best one later on they crazy

23. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Because in six years the current iPhone will be "10" (7s,8,8s,9,9s,10):)

24. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Samsung's budget phones ($100-$200 range) have "720p" OLED screens. Having OLED is not a reason to increase price.

25. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

It's quite a COOKed up name.