Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Because there's an API doesn't mean that the hardware will support it out of the box. They include Bluetooth speaker drivers, but no device comes with bluetooth speakers.

And as for the bitmap, if I were Apple, I'd totally use the rumored images on the web to troll the media. I so hope they did that.

alpha076

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2015
So many retail and banking applications have been designed with touch id as form of approval, if that was going to be removed in only 1 of the 3 new iphones, leaks would have surfaced from those software developers.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Thank god this design is finally confirmed. Will be willing to give the "Face-ID" a chance, hopefully it's as fast and accurate as Touch-ID is now.
Thank God? Really!?
[doublepost=1501517536][/doublepost]
Actually it's a screen shot from everythingapplepro video

Link to the Article :-

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/first-silver-iphone-8-images-surface.2059178/

Here is the video :-
everythingapplepro is a click whore who routinely "announces" stuff as if it's true with absolutely no bonafide sources. I can't believe people actually believe things that guy publishes. He's lost all credibility with the way he weasle words his click-baity titles.

Reactions: 44267547

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Please enlighten me:

What's the difference between having to remove your glasses in sunny weather and removing your gloves in cold weather?

I guess it depends on the country you live in.
I wear gloves maybe 5 to 10 times per year, but I wear sunglasses all the time from June to September.
If I lived in northern Europe I'd probably wear gloves most of the time and never have sunglasses.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
That would be quite backward thinking if people have to enter password to use Apple Pay. It's actually quite unsafe since you're in line at grocery stores people will see your password and rob your phone minutes later.
They don't have to, they can use 3D facial recognition.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
So, it’s confirmed. This is the new iPhone design! Not that exciting :(

Hmm wouldn't say not exciting but a little disappointing in some aspects. Looks like the bezels will be on the thicker side then we'd all like to see and there won't be touch ID in the screen. I'm interested to see how the home button function is like assuming they will be using force touch to replace it. Most importantly with the unfortunate bezels the front will still be mostly screen which is still very exciting! Mostly curious to see how Apple pay will work going forward. I feel there will be touch ID somewhere on the back for that. Facial recognition doesn't feel secure enough for Apple Pay.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I don't see any kind of real world scenario where that would happen though - apart from maybe if you're getting mugged in the street in which case it probably doesn't matter whether it was TouchID or face recognition...

The police or border patrol confiscate your phone without consent. Honestly I think Apple has had a hell of a time meeting numerous (legal/court ordered) law enforcement requests for unlocking, and they're just giving up. Kind of like how how they gave up on many of their products.

If the accused believes they've had their device unlocked without their consent via a facial scanning mechanism, good luck proving it in court. Apple could care less.

I guess I'll go back to a six digit pass code.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Hmm wouldn't say not exciting but a little disappointing in some aspects. Looks like the bezels will be on the thicker side then we'd all like to see and there won't be touch ID in the screen. I'm interested to see how the home button function is like assuming they will be using force touch to replace it. Most importantly with the unfortunate bezels the front will still be mostly screen which is still very exciting! Mostly curious to see how Apple pay will work going forward. I feel there will be touch ID somewhere on the back for that. Facial recognition doesn't feel secure enough for Apple Pay.
I don't think using a stylized design to estimate bezel size is the best option, obviously they are using this so users will know it's the iPhone, not exact replication of the phone itself.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I hope you're right but I doubt it. The way Apple wants to be a luxury brand these days I can see them thinking "You know, if a person can afford $1200 for a phone, then surely an Apple Watch as an ApplePay accessory isn't too much to ask".
[doublepost=1501513687][/doublepost]
OK this is from Apple themselves:

"Every transaction on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac requires you to authenticate with Touch ID or your passcode"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201469

Apple has always been a luxury brand, good grief, the price of lowest end hardware from the 1980s was what, $6000K in today's money; also catering to the upper middle is a recent, post 2004 phenomena (early Ipods were very expensive if you consider inflation).

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
If this new phone turns out to have a smaller usuable screen than my 7 plus, than I won't get it.

I'll either keep the 7 plus for another year or go for the Note 8.
I'm thinking it will be almost exactly the same as the 7Plus in terms of display area. Consider that on the 6Plus/7Plus, you lose the entire bottom section to the dock icons (homescreen) and then navigation bar in various apps. I think the virtual home button will not always be visible.

I have also been concerned about the total screen area -- I really love the size of the 6+/7+ screen. I don't want to downsize. But I really think the 8 will have roughly the same usable area.

Call out to the mathematically-inclined other readers: Would someone do a mockup of the total screen area of the "8" (as currently envisioned in our rumors) vs. the 7+?

nol2001

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
UK
Perhaps this vector of the iPhone 8 is intended to be displayed at a very small size and the bezel is going to be less wide than it appears on the vector ie the stroke width was bumped up on this vector.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
thats an easy statement to make without any backup. I can't see it myself.

right now, touch ID can be triggered in advance (double click home while locked) so you can prepare it and then just tap. That would probably be ok with face recognition.

But the main way I use touch ID is reactive - I just put my phone on the NFC terminal and the prompt pops up, and my finger is already on the home button to authenticate. I'm not thinking, I'm not positioning anything particularly. Trying to do this with facial recognition simply won't be an option in many situations - the NFC reader is in an awkward position or angle not suited to having the front of your phone pointing at your face.

you're operating under the assumption that facial recognition takes longer than 100ms to do its job. if it only takes 25ms to recognize your face, doing apple pay is simply looking at which way the phone is facing (since there is no front home button, you'll probably flip the phone to its correct orientation before paying). then wave the device. doesnt have to be simultaneous scanning of face and scanning of nfc

im imagining that if apple is removing touch id, there's absolutely no way that apple is going to be ok with facial recognition that takes longer than touch id 2 to unlock the device.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Seems like it'd be easier to "compel" someone to unlock their device with FaceID than with a passcode or TouchID. Like, "Oops... did I just point the sensor at your face and unlock the phone?? Oh how handy..."

Not a fan. Prankster friends could have a field day with this.

Or the issue with law enforcement not needing a warrant to get into your device.

Dicelu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
"Apple has reportedly been trying to incorporate Touch ID fingerprint sensing beneath the device's display, but some rumors have suggested Apple has had difficulty achieving that goal and may instead switch to facial recognition for authentication purposes."

I call this total bull... Facial recognition alone is a step back in usability and reliability. Think about the people who want to check their phone at night in bed with one cheek dug in the pillow and hair on their face, or when people have sunglasses on, or any time when you can't/don't want to aim the phone square to your face.

Last edited:
Reactions: stu.h

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
This is all great news except for one thing, the TooClose/TooFar api's!
I hope that doesn't mean that we have to hold the iPhone at just the right angle & distance for it to read our face... :(
I hope that someone can't point my phone at me from across the room and unlock my phone, distance requirements are a good thing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So much complaining...

Its amazing how conservative and reluctant to change people are. Before Touch ID was out, everybody was complaining it would not be as safe as a passcode, how criminals would chop people's fingers off to access phones, how they would never use it, how inaccurate it would be, ....

Guess what? Everybody instantly loved Touch ID. And the same will be true for Face ID. Apple will do this right, or they won't release it (yet).

And either it will completely replace Touch ID on their high end phones or it will be an additional feature where you can start using your phone right away without touching it but still need Touch ID for payments. Giving the security investments in Apple Pay, my money is on the latter scenario.

Face detection is a gimmick designed because hey have failed to make Touch ID work under the screen, on a device they are rumoured to plan to charge you 1200 Plus for!
And I'm sorry but I can't see it working well all the time.
The majority would much prefer Touch ID.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I don't think using a stylized design to estimate bezel size is the best option, obviously they are using this so users will know it's the iPhone, not exact replication of the phone itself.

Other mock ups and dimensions leaks have show similar bezels. Hopefully they are smaller or just look bigger in the mock ups and specs. Either way it's still a lot of screen and in a way having those bezels may help limit accidental inputs that could occur on a bezeless design.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
In order to counter the security risk with people just picking up your phone and pointing it at you, Touch Id is going to be replaced with Touch Face. Known within Apple's Developer community as Face Palm Phone, it will require a physical touch.

Touch Face Demo.jpg

Reactions: T-Bob and Cole Slaw

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
You can't see it because it doesn't support your daily anti-Apple narrative. Far easier to complain than to muster some imagination.

Ok, so..

My post is in full support of Apples Touch IS system, the thing I use all the time, yet because I don't like the idea of face detection YOU have concluded that is my daily anti Apple narrative lol!

I think you didn't understand my post to make such a ridiculous comment that makes no sense...

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Feel sorry for the people responsable for this leak at Apple... . They gonna get some heat.

Unless it was done on purpose to generate a buzz right before the note 8 is announced. I find it hard to believe they were that sloppy, I’m sure programmers in other departments within Apple don’t even know what the new phone like

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Can't see this being a hit with muslim women.

There are plenty of Muslim women who do not do a full-face covering - the vast majority, I suspect. I don't think a simple head scarf is going to interfere with facial recognition.

People who follow one orthodoxy or another (religious, political, ethical...) will abstain from aspects of secular society that are incompatible with their beliefs. An Orthodox Jew wouldn't use an electronic device of any sort on the Sabbath (How dare Apple make an iPhone that can't be used on the Sabbath!). And let's not forget those groups who consider photography/portraiture of any sort to be forbidden - this is clearly incompatible.

When cultural clashes of this sort occur, it's up to businesses to decide whether they accommodate a particular religious group, or not, and up to the individual to decide whether using the product is compatible with their beliefs. It's little different than any other feature - some people insist that Apple convert to open systems. Good luck with that!

While I can understand that people would prefer that a new, un-released product be everything they dream, no company is under an obligation to accommodate every one of those dreams. In the end, as with any other product on the market, the consumer can compare products, and buy or not buy as they see fit.

python0704

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2015
I'm curious how the top two space around facialID get utilized. Are they for constant display of signal, battery.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.