Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
You're funny. Why would you want to keep an older iPhone thats been left behind with less secure operating systems? Also, I've been having to use an iPhone 5 and the battery is fried (won't keep a charge) and the charging port will hardly ever register the charger.
So, you are saying the 5s, 6, 6s, 7 are less secure? We have a problem here.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Or people who want a significantly better experience. Sorry but this year is the year to upgrade. It's a bigger upgrade than any previous year, and I'm talking actual useful features, namely a larger display in a similar sized device, and the number one feature is a larger display in a similarly sized device because the display is the most fundamental aspect to a smartphone.
Its not the meaning of life, the past 5 revisions of iPhones will continue to do just fine.

Reactions: aylk

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
If rumours keep growing like this one, by the time they actually release the Phone it will include teleportation.....

Then when they really release the phone it will be nothing more than a 7S and people will be mad :p

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
At a zoo... I decide to take a picture of my gf.... focuses the camera to her eyes...

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It takes 7 minutes one-way so you're looking at 14 minutes, but the power of the emited light from the iPhone...
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THE EARTH'S ORBIT IS DECAYING?!?

Just last week it was taking 8 minutes and 19 seconds for light to get here from the sun - at this rate we'll crash and burn in a couple months!

Reactions: Cayden

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
this might have already been said, but i wonder if this is apple's latest anti leak strategy. They will purposely leak a bunch of features and possibilities to dilute the the actual leaked information.

this way it will always be a surprise :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Or people who want a significantly better experience. Sorry but this year is the year to upgrade. It's a bigger upgrade than any previous year, and I'm talking actual useful features, namely a larger display in a similar sized device, and the number one feature is a larger display in a similarly sized device because the display is the most fundamental aspect to a smartphone.

The display is a large part, but your viewpoint is not necessarily shared by how others view this next iPhone as an upgrade. The display is one thing to consider an upgrade, but with the overall concern of touch ID and how the home button will be incorporated into the iPhone 8 is another aspect on its own.

But also take into consideration what hardware features appeals to somebody may not warrant enough of an upgrade to someone else based on price point and what features are compelling enough to upgrade over their previous device. To me, those considerations trumps everything else over the display, because the consumer see's the device as a whole as an upgrade, regardless of the display being OLED, etc.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Autofocus is excruciatingly slow so faster is better. You can post correct a lot of things but not focus.

Forward to 1:56

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
How about lasers :p

f19cda1fbbf7b65182fb4761e2eb845fd9dbf59d4dfc7466a148ba6d1aa164ab.jpg

So many lawyers are ready to pounce on the iPhone8-laserbeam-burned-my-daughter's-eye lawsuits! Or so at least that's what the lawyers are dreaming of right now. :D

/sarcasm, or maybe not

Reactions: pat500000

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
These are the types of things Apple doesn't get enough credit for.
Please tell you forgot the "/s". Just yesterday some here were scoffing at Google Pixel phone having a squeezable design.

"Is that a laser in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" Oh. It is a laser.
[doublepost=1499924605][/doublepost]
This seems like something that will show up in the 2018 iPhone.

Red first. Then in 2019 invisible. Ever since the iPod Touch, Apple's been purposely staggering the release of key features they have solved in one bulk effort.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Do you understand that you're complaining about a rendering based on some leaked parts alleged to be for an iPhone, which may or may not actually be for the actual released iPhone, and if they are, may not fit together in the way people are depicting. Much more productive to wait until the next iPhone is actually unveiled before complaining too much.

Yeah, silly me for commenting on rumours on a site called MacRumors...

Reactions: Demo Kit

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
This seems like something that will show up in the 2018 iPhone.

I think so.
This year the brand new design will be more than enough to entice customers into buying the "edition" model.
Next year they'll add some features, improve the camera, AR etc.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
This would mean near-instantaneous autofocus, far superior Bokeh effect, and far superior AR. Of course this was going to come to iPhones for AR purposes,
If it resulted in superior AR I doubt Apple would have included an AR demonstration in their last WWDC keynote using an iPad Pro which doesn't have a laser sensor, they would have held off until they could present to The World this superior version of AR.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
do any phones have phase detect autofocus? That would be really useful for fast focus. This laser ranging sounds more like a bit of help for focusing, but a lot of help for AR and depth sensing.

We've had basic lasers on cameras for years - I think one of my first digital cameras, Sony's F505v over 15 years ago had a laser grid which was used to assist focus. Didn't do any depth sensing - it was literally to shine a laser grid on a surface so there was contrast for the AF system to focus on. Still damn cool at the time though.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Jeez, do you think they may have already thought about that little nugget of wisdom that you just presented? o_O Zoo-Wee-Mama!

Yeah, you're right... Just like Apple, due to being very thoughtful, would never eliminate the headphone jack because many people use headphones and charge their phones at the same time.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Android phones already adopted and then ditched this technology for some years now, look up the LG G3

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
This sounds fascinating, but I hope it is not used to justify another insane price hike. Brexit is more than pinching now lol!

I'm holding out until the iPhone can be used as a light saber / bagel toaster *

iphone-20.jpg

*disclaimer I only source whole foods, pure GMO modified, jailbroken bagels
Almost certainly attractive to the mere female customers (...)

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
The LG G3 had a laser AF system for its camera 3 years ago.

That was a great (non-iOS) phone. It was the first to popularize laser AF systems. I had one and it was super quick as far as focus was concerned. Since the G3, there are now many models of smartphones with laser AF systems, as a fallback system if contrast or phase detection fails.

A partial list of phones with laser AF:

Lg G3, G4, G5
Nexus 5X, 6P
OnePlus 2
Asus ZenFone Laser-series
Huawei P9 series
HTC 10
Whole bunch of Chinese-market phones...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.