Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I wonder how close to the actual launch of the iPhone we will get before a headline claiming that apple haven't finalised something or are still playing with the hardware will actually be ignored. This must be a running joke amongst the rumour writers. "Dave, I know the iPhone 8 is being launched next week but I'm gonna suggest that they are still deciding whether to include touchID".

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
"The whole thing costs about $2 per phone"

what a time to be alive. twenty years ago, that system would be the size of an airconditioner and cost $150,000
Indeed.
And imaging over 20 years..!
Unrestricted resolution VR from your pocket..? Experience visually being anywhere in the world, almost live....

Gnutek

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Why would Apple get credit for this? It's already available in many phones out there.

Any examples? There are only two phones that use Google Tango (which uses similiar or same tech). Wouldn't call that "many" but maybe I missed something?

Reactions: Tycho24

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Something like this is definitely going to be in iPhone this year. ARKit basically confirmed it.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
The display is a large part, but your viewpoint is not necessarily shared by how others view this next iPhone as an upgrade. The display is one thing to consider an upgrade, but with the overall concern of touch ID and how the home button will be incorporated into the iPhone 8 is another aspect on its own.

But also take into consideration what hardware features appeals to somebody may not warrant enough of an upgrade to someone else based on price point and what features are compelling enough to upgrade over their previous device. To me, those considerations trumps everything else over the display, because the consumer see's the device as a whole as an upgrade, regardless of the display being OLED, etc.
Well I know that the Home Button and Touch ID will function and remain exactly where they are now.
[doublepost=1499946558][/doublepost]
If it resulted in superior AR I doubt Apple would have included an AR demonstration in their last WWDC keynote using an iPad Pro which doesn't have a laser sensor, they would have held off until they could present to The World this superior version of AR.
It offers superior AR... hardware is required for the best AR.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Haha 14 minutes.. better be best photo ever:D

I would say for sure overexposed.

A clear case for photoshop.
[doublepost=1499947003][/doublepost]
It takes 7 minutes one-way so you're looking at 14 minutes, but the power of the emited light from the iPhone...
[doublepost=1499916594][/doublepost]
The camera module will protrude due to physics. They can't make the modules physically thinner without severe degradation of image quality currently. Moreover, the protrusion is the intelligent design because in order to have no protrusion the device would have to be about 8.3mm thick, which while you may think is nominal and of absolutely no concern to you, if you actually held such a device you'd immediately want the thinner device back, protrusion and all.

Secondly, a little explanation to ease your mind about the display cutout at the top of the 2017 iPhone:

That top portion of the display will be black, always. Period. The cutout will blend into the perfect black OLED display, and you will virtually never see the cutout unless you are in the perfect light and angle. I personally believe Apple will have made the black bezel try to blend with the display blackness as much as possible, therefore a comparison to the relative ease of discerning the display vs the bezel in the Apple Watch, is not a comparison worth making.

The iPhone will look like one of these two mockups someone made: keep in mind that the top left and right corners beside the cutout will be used for dynamic info/touch zones and the bottom black bar will be the Home Bar which acts as the Home Buttonand dynamic touch zones/info akin to the Touchbar on the MacBook Pro.
View attachment 708365

You can give up explaining this to those who do not care (or know) about physics.

To assume Apple wouldn't have figured this out (and used a thinner lens if possible) is not using brainpower.

Add to that using a case with the cutout depth for the lens and this is a non issue.

Anybody who complains about the protruding lens should just not buy this phone or produce their own.

I'd gladly check their solution when they present a thinner lens incl. all the specs we have now.

Maybe some future advances will help to put this complaint to rest.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
How does slapping a laser on the phone improve the bokeh of the lens?
It gives an even clearer depth representation to the computer for blurring computation. In fact the rear cameras now being about 1/4" further apart due to the flash being in between them gives a better bokeh effect alone, because the camera separation is what allows for the system to create a sense of depth. Moreover, the fact that they both have OIS may help as well.

The IR light and sensor would help substantially though. All you have to do is think about what bokeh is and what the IR light and sensor do. It shoots the light out and the sensor retrieves the light and draws a 3D representation of the environment it hits from the time it takes for the light to come back to the sensor. Therefore, it would make a perfect map of something as complex as hair. I see it as acheiving basically the same quality or better quality than bokeh cameras, but I'm not an expert obviously. I see no reason why it couldn't do a bokeh effect live during a video in the future, and in fact, I think bokeh would be a useful methodology to draw attention to an object in your environment that you want AR info about, in essence 'highlighting' the object live.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I would say for sure overexposed.

A clear case for photoshop.
[doublepost=1499947003][/doublepost]

You can give up explaining this to those who do not care (or know) about physics.

To assume Apple wouldn't have figured this out (and used a thinner lens if possible) is not using brainpower.

Add to that using a case with the cutout depth for the lens and this is a non issue.

Anybody who complains about the protruding lens should just not buy this phone or produce their own.

I'd gladly check their solution when they present a thinner lens incl. all the specs we have now.

Maybe some future advances will help to put this complaint to rest.
What's more funny is that people always say something like 'why make it thinner when everyone puts a big thick case on it anyway?'. Like...duh? I guess they don't understand that the phone thickness + the case thickness = the thing's thickness you're holding.

Your point is exactly right, most people use cases and the protrusion is nullified in the depth of the case and due to this you hold a much thinner thing in your hand.

Reactions: Royal Gala

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Im ok with the face thing if a virtual touchid button with 3d-touch and force feedback is still in the loop, and I can wear sunglasses or a hat or go unshaven a day or two and unlock at night or in light without issues.

-d

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Lasers are unsafe if the beams enter the eyes.
Class 1 lasers are totally safe for the eye just like unlicensed Wi-Fi (under 1watt) is totally safe. Not sure of the laser type that would be used but if it's IR, I doubt it would be anything but low power class 1.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm pretty sure next year's iOS will not be available for iPhone 5s.
You are pretty sure because you work at Apple beside Craig? Or pretty sure because you are guessing? It has a 64 bit A-Series processor, its not impossible for iOS 12 to support it too, might not get all features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.