Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone6s-gold-select-2015-250x328.jpg
The "mega cycle" iPhone 8 and, presumably, iPhone 8 Plus, might have different displays according to new speculation from Gabelli & Co. research analyst Hendi Susanto (via Barrons). In a discussion with Universal Display executive Darice Liu, Apple's potential use of OLED displays in an upcoming iPhone model surfaced, leading to the talk about overall display technology for the iPhone 8.

Susanto agreed that 2017 is likely the year that Apple will introduce OLED displays into the iPhone, with the caveat that it may go for a "partial adoption" of OLED because the company's suppliers might not be able to meet its needs for a full rollout.

This suggests that a higher-tier version of the smartphone -- perhaps the iPhone 8 Plus, or equivalent model -- will be this "specialized edition" of the 2017 iPhone, incorporating an OLED display as its distinguishing factor against other versions.
Speculation regarding the potential adoption of OLED displays by Apple continues to dominate major discussions with investors. The current speculation anticipates Apple's adoption of OLED displays in its iPhone in 2017 or 2018. We believe that Apple can adopt OLED displays sooner rather than later by pursuing a partial adoption and incorporating it in a specialized edition of a new iPhone version.

This will alleviate the needs of huge supply capacity and accelerate OLED display adoption. Alternatively, Apple could choose to wait and finally adopt OLED displays for all new iPhone versions. We remain cautiously opportunistic. We believe it's a matter of when, not if.
This would leave the remaining models of the iPhone 8 with the traditional LCD screen technology currently used in the iPhone 6s, and coming in the iPhone 7. Apple has introduced slight variations in same-generation iPhone models since the launch of the iPhone 6 in 2014. Subtle differences have included battery life, camera performance, and a landscape mode for the 5.5-inch iPhones. A major difference in the upcoming iPhone 7 Plus is expected to revolve around a feature-packed, dual-lens camera.

The alternative option exists that Apple could also simply wait and adopt OLED displays when the technology and supply chain is ready to produce them "for all new iPhone versions," which could mean 2018 or even later. Both pieces of information are pure speculation, so should be treated tentatively, but they do add to the early reports of the tenth-anniversary iPhone's drastic changes, including the introduction of an OLED display and its potential for slimming down the iPhone, the removal of the home button, and possible support for wireless charging.

Article Link: 'iPhone 8' OLED Display Could Be Limited to 'Specialized' Edition, Analyst Speculates

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
This suggests that a higher-tier version of the smartphone -- perhaps the iPhone 8 Plus, or equivalent model -- will be this "specialized edition" of the 2017 iPhone, incorporating an OLED display as its distinguishing factor against other versions.

the only difference between the iphone and the plus model should be its size. i do not want a larger phone to have a better camera and or screen. further, what's taking them so long?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It should be noted that CURRENT OLED supplies are vastly outstripped by demand...but I'm sure this thread will be nothing but people bitching that Apple is being greedy.

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
so every other phone company has been using OLED for years... WHY DOES APPLE ONCE AGAIN HAVE THESE ISSUES??? DO they not have billions they can blow to build their own facilities if there are manufacturing issues? And shouldn't they have been pressing towards this for years now while their competitors release fancy new OLED phones every few months? soon cheap

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
so every other phone company has been using OLED for years... WHY DOES APPLE ONCE AGAIN HAVE THESE ISSUES??? DO they not have billions they can blow to build their own facilities if there are manufacturing issues? And shouldn't they have been pressing towards this for years now while their competitors release fancy new OLED phones every few months? soon cheap
First off, Apple doesn't own any fabrication plants.

Second how long and how much do you think it takes to build a fabrication facility that can yield enough output to be worth the investment? Think billions and years.
[doublepost=1471450107][/doublepost]
How come Samsung can secure enough to for all their pphones?
They are an actual manufacturer of displays, so they can get first dibs on production runs.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
This story is just too funny ... ALL those Apple fans holding out for the iPhone 8 only to find out that the price point for the Special Anniversary Edition will be way and above anything else in Apple's line-up and out of their reach ... just too funny.
Suggesting people are holding out means you think they're skipping the 7 for the 8. That just means people have more time to save funds to put towards the purchase of the 8. But it's great that you take such glee over a non-issue.
I started to read, then ran into the phrase "Analyst Speculates". No longer interested to keep reading it. Skipping!
I appreciate you letting us know.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It should be noted that CURRENT OLED supplies are vastly outstripped by demand...but I'm sure this thread will be nothing but people bitching that Apple is being greedy.

LG is bringing more OLED producing factories online this year and next, they have bought a patent from Kodak which have much better yields than other manufacturing processes, LG is the only one making OLED Tv's for instance, they are getting cheaper now and soon will be the same prices or less than other high end Tv's.
I think LG will be able to provide plenty of them in the not so distant future, like next year or 2018.

mmikuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
So the competitors already have dropped headphone jacks, and have curved screens, waterproofing, wireless charging, multiple biometric options, AMOLED (which is OLED), near zero bezels, in fact some all in one phone. OLED shortage rumors, BS. Chances on the the 10th anniversary phone being upstaged early, highly likely. Apple is feeling slower and slower.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LG is bringing more OLED producing factories online this year and next, they have bought a patent from Kodak which have much better yields than other manufacturing processes, LG is the only one making OLED Tv's for instance, they are getting cheaper now and soon will be the same prices or less than other high end Tv's.
I think LG will be able to provide plenty of them in the not so distant future, like next year or 2018.
That's true, but when plants are built part of the financing is raised by pre-order purchases. So it's likely that these plants may already have the first year (at least) contractually bound to orders.

Now if I'm remembering correctly Apple signed a massive deal with Japan Display for new fabs, and I assume part of it was that they would get exclusive output from a given manufacturing line.

The logistics of hi-tech manufacturing is really a stunning thing to behold.

Reactions: Analog Kid

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
This is crap. The iPhone was perfect until 2013 where it was a single flagship, one and only. I hated it when Apple diversified the iPhone and discriminated the smaller iPhone. The least they could have done is given a unique feature which was not in the plus models so that 4/4.7 inch iPhone users don't feel inferior. There shouldn't be a case where I'm forced to go to a bigger screen coz I need those features.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Bye bye if that's the case.
[doublepost=1471451825][/doublepost]
Because Apple is being greedy
[doublepost=1471451939][/doublepost]There better be a 4" in the same release of the same calibre not a lesser four year old design like SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.