Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigma7

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Brazil
Great!
iPhone-8-8-840x543.jpg

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
I can get used to a Touch bar but I like the idea of a 4.7 size with a 5.1 screen size.
I went with the 7 plus this time but this year I'm going back to a smaller size so **** a 5.8

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
home button better be tactile (and not just vibrations). or else this is going to be a big design fail.

Why?
[doublepost=1487248867][/doublepost]Let's hope iOS 11 finally moves all controls to the bottom of the screen. I'll never understand why so many apps -- native and third-party -- have essential function controls at the very top of the screen.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
The iPhone X has been developed at a top secret facility in Israel, to control leaks.

To further mitigate leaks, Apple will announce the new iPhone in June, at the first event to be held at their new HQ.

They'll start taking preorders months in advance to a September shipping date.

Timeline is a bit different from Apple Watch launch, but the steps are the same: announce early (at the opening of their Spaceship Campus) deliver later in the September schedule. Supplies will be very tight September through December.

The future of smartphones starts in June. Samsung's S8 will not steal the show this year, and people will have time to prepare for the price starting at $1.089

How is this iPhone X ... "The future of smartphones" ? Because adding glass back , virtual buttons, OLED, Iris scan and Wireless charging is catching up to the "Past of Smartphones" design . Please explain your reasoning as to why you think this is anything more than an incremental and overdue shell redesign after they went big (6 Plus)..to really great success . I think the X will prove to sell but the price will tamper profits. $1000 is a psychological barrier to entry...many will say "I'm good". Not too long ago iPhone was $200 in peoples mind's, so $1000 + is quite the leap in perspective for not much more capability.

I suspect "The future of mobile" will be when Surface Pocket LTE launches. If you want to hear about some of it , in person there were Build 2017 tickets available for 8 hours at $2,195 each then they sold out. Luckily the event will be live streamed like all of Microsoft events. I noticed in past three years how Build has been mind blowingly awesome, I also watch Apl events and Google events...not so much mindblowing over same timeframe, rather yawns.

I think IPhone X will be cool, gorgeous and very overpriced since similar hardware like my phone can be had for about $298 minus the all glass on back... Probably at Iphone 4 from 3 level upgrade. Not sure how all glass will hold up though, I prefer rugged and like the feel of my leather back.

The future will not be a "smartphone" when is the last time you treated your apl device like a phone? Smartphones are about to take the tablet path... replaced by more capable mobile devices.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The iPhone X has been developed at a top secret facility in Israel, to control leaks.

To further mitigate leaks, Apple will announce the new iPhone in June, at the first event to be held at their new HQ.

They'll start taking preorders months in advance to a September shipping date.

Timeline is a bit different from Apple Watch launch, but the steps are the same: announce early (at the opening of their Spaceship Campus) deliver later in the September schedule. Supplies will be very tight September through December.

The future of smartphones starts in June. Samsung's S8 will not steal the show this year, and people will have time to prepare for the price starting at $1.089

A top secret facility? i think you have been watching a few too many spy movies. But seriously where are you getting this information from? i haven't heard any of this even from the rumours that are coming out. Also it's hardly top secret when Ming-Chi-Ko has already stated what he thinks will be announced in the next iPhone, and he is very reliable, in fact it's believe that he has contacts within Apple.

I don't believe they will announce the next iPhone in June, yes it will be 10 years since the very first iPhone was announced by Steve Jobs, but that doesn't mean they will go by the exact date, it will more than likely be September that they will announce, just like every other year.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You missed my point. Buying an S7 Edge (with an expensive curve OLED display) outright in Canada is $900. Buying a iPhone 7 plus with a cheaper, less premium LCD cost $1075.
No, I didn't miss your point. You were making two (implicit) points:
  1. The base (non-SE, current) iPhone is already too expensive (the 4.7" costs more than the S7 and 5.5" costs more than the S7 Edge)
  2. They are charging more for a phone with moderately larger screen (5.15 vs 4.7") and new features (iPhone 8 vs 4.7" iPhone 7s)
It was the second point I took issue with since it is something Samsung has done with the S7 Edge as well.
And now, once Apple has that oh so premium OLED, they are gonna tell their flock, we want a helluvalot more money. Because the OLED version is the "higher end", "premium" version. Riiiiiight.
Being OLED is only part what makes it better than the presumed 4.7" iPhone 7s, it also has:
  1. A larger screen
  2. Wireless charging
And most likely a couple of other things as well.

Complain about all iPhones being too expensive, don't complain about the iPhone 8 being more expensive than the 4.7" 7s or the 5.5" version being more expensive than the 4.7" version.
[doublepost=1487250918][/doublepost]
A top secret facility? i think you have been watching a few too many spy movies. But seriously where are you getting this information from? i haven't heard any of this even from the rumours that are coming out.
Pure old speculation (or regurgitated speculation), tailored to fit some preconceived notion that Apple needs/wants to match the announcement of the Galaxy S8 with something of their own well ahead of the September ship date.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It's not growing fast enough and Apple relied on Samsungs woes last year to support increases. Your figures show totals, not growth.
[doublepost=1487246747][/doublepost]
And your figures say it all, a decline in the recent years. It should be jumping up and up without faltering, but Apple can't capture the market because its blown out device prices. The figures are still not fleshed out, Apple wasn't selling earlier on to many of the regions it sells to now, when taking that into account, sales in established countries have flatlined, not due to saturation but due to price of entry. Samsung is having a come back year with new devices. Apple needs to watch out. No one will be paying 1000+ for a handheld unit that is only for consumption.
I agree! bonkers!

Don't get me started on the made up rumors of the iPhone 9. Seriously, a plastic iPhone with a 6" display which fits on a 4.8" bezel. And a bluetooth wireless dongle to connect your headphones to. And it's in purple too and remove the touch button completely along with the vibration. I also read it's going to have no camera as well. It's true because Bob from work told me (you know, the one with the blue jumper!) still hates iPhones as well. He said Apple wouldn't sell a single Apple Watch and he's right. I haven't seen one person in my office wearing one. Rubbish product! (he said).

Bring back Steve Jobs! and the days of selling less than 200 millions iPhones a year! Apple Pen, Apple Watch, no innovation at all. Makes me sick!

Tim Cook! drives me crazy!

I am definitely not going to buy an Android phone now.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I like it, but I think it would be more likely that the dock would also be down by the on screen Home button, otherwise that is a ton of wasted real estate.

I don't think the dock would be put in there because it would make the icon arrangement asymmetrical. And you would accidentally be opening apps instead of going home that way. I could however imagine seeing app icons for multitasking purposes instead of showing the app name in the status bar when jumping from one app to another.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
No one will be paying 1000+ for a handheld unit that is only for consumption.
Maybe you came from an alternate reality where Apple never survived bankruptcy, but here in our world, people are doing precisely that.

The ASF of the iPhone was $695. The ASF of Samsung phones was under $200. Each phone had a job to be done, and for the people who bought iPhones, it was worth the extra $500 outlay.

Reactions: fourthtunz

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thought the screen would be available for 5.8 not 5.1..bigger screens are what the market wants not small screens

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Most accessibility options that I've seen involve virtual buttons. But the reality is, you still have your sleep wake and volume buttons, right? I can't imagine that they didn't think of accessibility features, though they may require some retraining of the muscle memory.
The problem is that as you remove more physical buttons and remove more bezel you make the device harder to use. I'm not physically disabled so it won't impact me but I have disabled friends and relatives and I can see how this would impact them. Not all disabilities are the same.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Touchbar? Killer app, actually! What a way to expand a new input device across multiple platforms for ubiquitous implementation into cross-platform applications.

Certainly a touch bar is better than the current way of doing it with one button. People who say it is the same as what Samsung has done don't have a clue. It isn't just a home button and back button like Samsung. It is music controls, video scrubbing, touchid, etc etc.
[doublepost=1487254279][/doublepost]
The problem is that as you remove more physical buttons and remove more bezel you make the device harder to use. I'm not physically disabled so it won't impact me but I have disabled friends and relatives and I can see how this would impact them. Not all disabilities are the same.

You make a point but most of the world isn't disabled. Apple has always been good about catering to that segment but you can't hold back a release because it may not be the best for blind people example.

If somebody is blind they have no compelling reason to buy the OLED version. They would get whatever version is better for them. People with disabilities should be considered but it would be crazy to hold everybody else back.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are they really thinking of getting rid of TouchID? The most reliable biometric authentication system around, that works anywhere, anytime, near instantly?

I will be extremely sad if they do. Anything requiring iris scans, face scans, etc. won't work in the dark, and will be awkward to use. Meanwhile TouchID works subtly, anywhere.

This could be a huge mistake. TouchID is one of the best features the iPhone has, and I can't believe they'd get rid of it.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
What about iPhone 8+ with a 6.8" screen?
I'm serious, I'm already used to carrying the 7+. Imagine the massive screen and unbelievable battery life you would get!
If the ratio stays the same, an edge-to-edge version of the current 5.5" physical size should have a 6" useable screen area. And Google already produced a Nexus 7 (aka 7"), except that I am not sure it could make standard phone calls (it had LTE but that might have only worked for data, which means only VoIP services might have worked).
[doublepost=1487255185][/doublepost]
It comes with one. The charger is USB-C as well.
So, compatibility is primarily measured by whether it has all cables one might need in the box?

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Are they really thinking of getting rid of TouchID? The most reliable biometric authentication system around, that works anywhere, anytime, near instantly?

I will be extremely sad if they do. Anything requiring iris scans, face scans, etc. won't work in the dark, and will be awkward to use. Meanwhile TouchID works subtly, anywhere.

This could be a huge mistake. TouchID is one of the best features the iPhone has, and I can't believe they'd get rid of it.

IRIS scan works in the dark even better LOL, and also works through Polarized Maui Jim Sunglasses in <1sec, only down side is when driving to unlock ...but in reality that's a huge safety plus.

The only tough situation for IRIS scan is in extremely bright light. Because even in training you cannot see your eyes.... so in some situations you may need to turn from a extremely bright light..or use backup PIN

Last edited:

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va

I thought the rumors were that it would be integrated into the screen, which is how they will be able to finally get to a sane screen size ratio. 5.8" (even if 5.1" is "usable", which is a strange remark if the bottom TouchBar is also usable) in a device the size of the current 4.7" screen would be excellent. Throw in wireless at a distance and you've blown the doors off every other phone out there.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Honest question: If Apple implements a "stacked design" logic board, how would this fit in the current body frame? Would they have to make it thicker? Or would other technologies allow them to do so while keeping the current thickness?

Just looking at teardown pictures of the iPhone 7, and there is NO room for anything it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.