iPhone ALoD: MAJOR design flaw!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

As many of you know, I've been suffering with ALoD (Apple Logo of Death) issues since July 11th. I've finally discovered the root cause of this problem, as well as a solution. I'm pasting a quote below from "Mandrake" on another forum which explains in some detail why this problem occurs, how it actually can affect ANYONE running 2.0 software, and how jailbreaking is the only known way to recover.

After suffering through 40 restores (due to ALoDs) between July 11th and August 15-ish, I haven't had to do a single one since - the reason? I finally got up the nerve to PWN my new iPhone 3G. With OpenSSH installed, recovering from an ALoD event takes just a few minutes, with no data loss or settings lost, nothing - it's VERY easy.

Ironic, isn't it? The only way to avoid having to spend 3-4 hours restoring your phone every time an ALoD occurs is to jailbreak. Put another way: in this situation, the only way to have a functional phone is to void the warranty.

Good job, Apple. :rolleyes:

2. VTMac macrumors 6502

Great explanation, but it's not even close to a design flaw. A design flaw would require redesign and recoding to fix. This will require them to increase the time allowed and/or implement a simple shared synchronization mechanism. It is incredible that it hasn't been fixed in the first to point releases. This should only take someone a day or two at max to fix.

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, 'incredible' is a good way to put it. They've had two chances to make this simple fix since July 11th, and yet the problem remains. Apparently they're more concerned about adding new features than fixing major flaws (yes, I'd call any design flaw that renders a mobile phone COMPLETELY UNUSABLE a "major flaw") ...

4. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I have never had this problem, actualy now that i think about it i dont have any problems people complain about. No light leak, no dust under the screen, nothing. I must have gotten one that was built on a monday...

5. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

No, you DO have this problem. Every iPhone/iPod running 2.0 software has this problem. ;)

If you want to experience it for yourself, make sure your mail is set to either push or fetch, then try installing 50+ apps. When you're done, try deleting one of them (hold the icon until it starts moving, and then press the X in the corner) ... Have fun!

6. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

Mine works fine, no problems whatsoever actually. >_<

7. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, you DO have this problem. Every iPhone/iPod running 2.0 software has this problem. ;)

If you want to experience it for yourself, see above ... Have fun!

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not true. I have seven pages of apps (16*7=112) not counting page 1 of native apps and have occasionally deleted just one. Mail is always set as you specified.

Since there are two million+ phones out there and you claim hundreds have the problem, IMHO since you missed your opportunity to cancel and walk away you should take advantage of some warranty service. (Yes, I'm making more assumptions than usual, but sheeeeeesh.)

9. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Warranty service won't do anything to correct an underlying flaw in the iPhone's OS. Besides, that's one of the first things I tried back in July. ;)

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Cool. I thought you might have before going through that much pain. I hope an upcoming update resolves the issue for you.

11. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks, but I'm actually not really that stressed about it anymore. Now that I've got OpenSSH installed, I can recover from an ALoD in about three-four minutes with no data loss. I've had enough of Apple dragging their feet on this one. ;)

That said, apparently SJ is aware of the problem and has once again promised a fix. We'll see how it goes.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thanks for the information, I have been having major problems with this recently having to do it almost constantly and trying different things to get it to to work.

I guess I will have to restore my phone once more so I get openSSH back onto the device so I can use this repair.

At least I now have a slimmed down back up so it should only take an hour to do this time.

13. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Glad I could help someone ... ;)

OpenSSH should be the very first thing you install - once that's installed, you can finally put your mind at ease about installing anything else - no more having to restore from ALoDs!! It's very liberating.

14. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the info, a very interesting read! Yet another but to add to the 2.1 fix list

snverhallen

15. alFR macrumors 68020

I assume you have submitted this as feedback to Apple?

Or simply install less apps so Springboard completes on time until they issue a firmware fix. Still, it's more satisfying to have a good rant than to just do something simple to work around the problem, isn't it?

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well in the things I was try was not having cydia / installer / any non app store apps. So I had to do a restore to get cydia and OpenSSH back on but because the iPhones backup process is quite buggy it has taken about 6 hours to get a working version with everything back on for me to test this out. I really hope it works as it will save me a very long time. I got to the point where my phone was unuseable with any apps on it at all.

That is not a work around that is just not using the app store and as I said above it was happening with only one app on my phone. And even before it got that bad I had it down to only ~25 apps installed including the factory apps.

17. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

If you've got OpenSSH installed, you might consider using iBaReS to backup, rather than iTunes. The only disadvantage is that once you're using it, you're kind of locked into it - but it's faster and more reliable than iTunes. ;)

@aIFR: you bet! I've submitted this not only to Apple (through their feedback page) but also directly to Steve Jobs. :D

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Finally got to the stage where I could test this out and thankfully it worked; considering how easy it was to trip it up. No more 5 hour restore crap just a 8 minute job. :):):):)

19. vandy1997 macrumors regular

Thank you for that fix!! I have had this problem and I know two other people who have had this problem. Those who say that they have no issues are either Apple fanboys or they have not downloaded enough apps directly onto their phones through the AppStore. Your explanation seems reasonable, and since your solution works, that is likely the cause. I thought that it might be due to buggy apps. Thank you for that solution. It will rid me of major headaches and tons of time restoring the phone and reloading the apps! You should send this to Apple and directly to Steve Jobs, because this is a major oversight. This software is way too buggy, but I hope that most of these issues will be fixed with firmare 2.1! (fingers crossed)

20. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

It's a relief, isn't it? Knowing that you can completely recover in less than ten minutes, with no data loss or other I'll effects ... Until Apple fixes this problem, i'm recommending to all my friends that they jailbreak. Just do it in expert mode without that stupid pineapple, and no one (read: Apple) would be any wiser, even if you had to take it in to the shop for some reason.

21. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I'm glad this was helpful! :)

Has anyone else been able to use this method to recover from an ALoD?

22. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

great post. i haven't tried it yet, but an ALoD is always lurking around the corner so i'm sure i'll get the chance!

side note- have you noticed openSSH affecting your battery life much? i remember thinking it was pretty taxing on my 1st gen.

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have successfully used this 3 times already :D

Having only had it installed less than a day I can't give a full answer however in that time it has not decreased by anything more than it normally would. Also when I was on 1.x.x et al. I did not notice any effect on battery life either.

24. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Actually, no - I haven't noticed any unusual drain since installing OpenSSH, although I wish I could disable wifi during the day when I'm out, since I never use it. But I know that as soon as I turn wifi off, I'll get an ALoD and then my OpenSSH safety net will be worthless. :(

25. mbaran macrumors regular

Not true. Download a program called iphone_tunnel.exe. It will allow you to SSH into the iPhone without WiFi using the iTunes mobile device support.

It creates a USB/IP tunnel. It's very neat software.