Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Confession: I don't get the fuss over iMessage. You're not the first person who I've heard say that it is the sole reason they stick with iOS. There are many free cross-platform messaging apps, like What's App or even Facebook Messenger.
I'm also somebody who stays on iOS with one of the huge reasons being iMessage. I would absolutely love if more people in the US would use WhatsApp. I think the biggest thing about iMessage is that a lot of people have iPhones and it's the default messaging app. Then there are people like my parents who couldn't tell you the difference between iMessage or SMS/MMS.

Reactions: rui no onna

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Confession: I'm a high school teacher and whenever I'm assigned a supervision duty during lunch time (ie Cafeteria duty, or hall duty) I always take my iPhone with me to catch up on emails, social media, or otherwise entertain myself even though I'm supposed to be "supervising". I've quickly stuffed it in my pocket on more than one occasion when the principal or vice-principal is walking by so that I don't appear lax in my duties.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Confession: I don't get the fuss over iMessage. You're not the first person who I've heard say that it is the sole reason they stick with iOS. There are many free cross-platform messaging apps, like What's App or even Facebook Messenger.
Not the sole reason but it's definitely one of the many reasons I'm sticking to iOS. Problem with alternative messaging apps is people have to make a conscious decision to install and use those apps. iMessage just works by default especially for non-techie contacts who use iPhones (practically every 50+ adult relative I know). SMS forwarding just makes it even more useful.

Last I checked, you can't have WhatsApp on multiple devices simultaneously and that's something I require (2x iPhones + 2x iPads). Facebook Messenger is okay for multi-device/platform but I don't really want to "friend" everyone I need to text.

Honestly, my iPhone either stays inside the purse or charging in the bedroom majority of the time and I handle all the messaging on iPads. Since I'm staying inside Apple's bubble, iMessage+SMS forwarding works pretty great for me.

On that note:
Confession: I barely use my iPhone. It pretty much just acts as a communications gateway (phone calls + messaging) for my iPads. :p

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
So glad I'm not tied down with iMessage. I don't use it at all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Confession:
After someone uses my iPhone I secretly wipe it down front and back using my t-shirt.
Not sure why I do it or why I do it secretly so they don't see me wiping it down right away.
i guess I'm weird, a germophobe or both.
Don't judge me people:D
I am not a germophobe by any means. But when it comes to using my phone, let's say I only like my Dna to be on it.:D

That's my confession and I'm sticking to it.:confused:

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You lost me there. What does that even mean?
Old husband trick.

Act like you don't want something and your wife may take pity on you and allow you to get something.
[doublepost=1469068502][/doublepost]
Confession: I'm a high school teacher and whenever I'm assigned a supervision duty during lunch time (ie Cafeteria duty, or hall duty) I always take my iPhone with me to catch up on emails, social media, or otherwise entertain myself even though I'm supposed to be "supervising". I've quickly stuffed it in my pocket on more than one occasion when the principal or vice-principal is walking by so that I don't appear lax in my duties.
Confession: My mother taught junior high school from 1961 to 2014. One of her consistent classes from the 1980s to the time she retired was "Computers".

She taught the classes but I'm the one being asked questions about everything from her Mac to the Android tablet my dad has (which he never uses).

Confession: My sister teaches Special Education, wants the best she can get out of Apple and has a boyfriend in a tech field. I am consistently fixing everything of my mother's the two of them screw up.

Confession: My wife starts her return to school for her degree in teaching and is tripping over the fact that her iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s will be useful tools.
[doublepost=1469068855][/doublepost]
Confession:
After someone uses my iPhone I secretly wipe it down front and back using my t-shirt.
Not sure why I do it or why I do it secretly so they don't see me wiping it down right away.
i guess I'm weird, a germophobe or both.
Don't judge me people:D
Confession: My kids MUST wash their hands before handling my iPad. But I wipe it down with lens cleaner and a lens cloth when they are done with it anyway!

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You just need to practice more. For months I subtly made noises about how my iPad Air was acting up or giving me issues. You can't go from seed to tree over night. You need to cultivate the soil and water it. Then comes the harvest.
We play it a little different.

I show her stuff that will make her life easier (the seed). I water it by telling her how much easier it'd make her/our life when she's got an issue it can help with (the water).

In the end, she's convinced and doesn't have an issue (especially if I explain how it benefits the kids) so let's me go get it (the harvest). I can't do any of that at a tech store though because she already knows I'd snap up everything I could get my hands on if I had the money for it.

Now if I do just happen to be walking around a tech store and she's with me the harvest may occur, but I have to lay the groundwork first away from a store. Otherwise, I'm in for it. :D

Reactions: akash.nu

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
We play it a little different.

I show her stuff that will make her life easier (the seed). I water it by telling her how much easier it'd make her/our life when she's got an issue it can help with (the water).

In the end, she's convinced and doesn't have an issue (especially if I explain how it benefits the kids) so let's me go get it (the harvest). I can't do any of that at a tech store though because she already knows I'd snap up everything I could get my hands on if I had the money for it.

Now if I do just happen to be walking around a tech store and she's with me the harvest may occur, but I have to lay the groundwork first away from a store. Otherwise, I'm in for it. :D

I've tried it your way. Mine works better. I don't consider it deception because she knows damn well what I'm doing.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
confession: told myself i don't need an iPhone 6S Plus and was fine with my 6S till the release of the iPhone 7. Went on eBay and scored a 6S Plus for an insanely good price. justified it by giving my wife my old iPad Mini 2 and will use the 6S Plus as my work phone / mini tablet for watching Netflix at the gym and reading in bed

confession: will still buy the iPhone 7 anyway and then will be stuck with 3 iPhones... although hope to sell one of them later :p

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Confession: Own a sparkling iPhone6S that runs flawlessly, yet still exclusively use my iPhone4S because it is running 6.1.3
Can we like talk some time or something, because this is literally exactly, EXACTLY what I do everyday. (Except my 6S is wrapped in black leather with an Apple logo pressed in the back lol)

- Everyday when I wake up, I always check my 4S for notifications before I even wake up my 6S. Then I unlock it and stare at iOS 6 for about 2 mins appreciating all the fantastic detail and screaming swears in my head at the morons that though it would be a good idea to ditch the awesome UI/UX from iOS 6 and OS X Mavericks.

Am I the only one that finds iOS 7+ and OS X Yosemite+ to look blurry all the time no matter what? Apple said the flat design was supposed to look sharper, but it looks way worse than the other design. Do they not understand that shadows, and popping, textures make things stand out? (Minus find my friends and GameCenter) I better stop here before I start raging about this again. o_O

Reactions: braddick

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've tried it your way. Mine works better. I don't consider it deception because she knows damn well what I'm doing.
Oh, I don't consider it deception either. She knows I'm working her. She shakes her fist at me enough as well as two middle fingers when I show her how much better tech will make things, but we get there.

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, it's what works for you and me with our wives. :)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
The two most crystal clear screens with vibrant, eye-popping colors are my iPad 4 (on iOS6) and my iPhone4S (also running iOS6). My iPad Air and iPhone6s are charming little beasts, yet I am drawn to the other, older hardware.

Again, if it wasn't for this confessional thread I couldn't/wouldn't admit any of this.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
The two most crystal clear screens with vibrant, eye-popping colors are my iPad 4 (on iOS6) and my iPhone4S (also running iOS6). My iPad Air and iPhone6s are charming little beasts, yet I am drawn to the other, older hardware.

Again, if it wasn't for this confessional thread I couldn't/wouldn't admit any of this.
We use the same devices and operating systems!! Minus the iPad Air. I just typed this on my 4S.

Reactions: braddick

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is that really a real thing? How?? Why?
Uhhhh…because what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers.

Seriously though, yeah, it's a married thing.

Usually a wife's thoughts and priorities about where income should be spent are very different from the husband's. Getting her approval or blessing means you're better off.

Resentment and anger kills relationships fast. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.