iPhone is catching-up to Android, but will the iPhone X have a notification light?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mildredop, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I gave up on iPhone when they released the iPhone 4. I've very much enjoyed Android over the last seven years but always keep an eye on the iPhone and would consider returning.

One-by-one, iPhone has followed Android's lead, but there are a few things I really would miss about Android to the point that I can't quite bring myself to buy an iPhone.

Notification light - I don't like the fact that the iPhone could have missed calls, waiting emails and texts, but unless you press the home button, you have no idea. How will the iPhone X deal with this? If the phone is sitting on the kitchen table, how will you discover if there are any missed notifications?

Default apps - does the iPhone still force you to use Apple Maps/Safari etc.? Are there any thoughts that this might change?

Pop-up dialogue boxes - I forever see people browsing on their phone and suddenly they're interrupted with a pop-up displaying available wifi hotspots. Can this be turned off yet?

Scrolling - is scrolling still really slow compared to Android?

2. Oliveira46 macrumors member

Oliveira46

More like catching up to Blackberry. Blackberry was doing it before Android or iPhones even existed. I have a Blackberry prove (Android) and the notification LED is nowhere near as good as the native BB using Blackberry OS.

There is no "lead" in the smartphone industry. Iphone is behind Android in many things, but Android is behind iPhones in other aspects. Android is playing catchup on performance and ecosystem since 2008... and is still far from catching up.

Scrolling is slow? it's a matter of taste. It's not an issue, it's a preference in calibration of the animation.

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Been able to turn that off for ages. Sure i was able to do it on my old 3GS let alone the 5 and 6S i've had since.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You gave up on the iPhone 4 Seven years ago? To me, it's drastically change since the iPhone 4. As far as the LED notification light, I don't forsee Apple doing this. There have been many discussions with why Apple hasn't implemented this over the years, and even with the OLED model, I still don't see Apple allowing this, even though they could.

5. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Perhaps what I meant to say is that iPhone is following Android phones' lead in many areas:

- Larger screens
    - Power button on the side
    - OLED
    - Notification light/always on display
    - Widgets
    - Removal of home button
    - Wireless charging
    - Waterproofing

to name a few.

I didn't want to get into a "which is better" argument, but more point out that a lot of features that Android phones have started have ultimately come to iPhone - will some way of seeing missed notifications without waking the phone (or buying an Apple Watch) be one of them? As this is something I'd find really hard to live without.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    Ok, that's good to know. Maybe that wifi pop-up is set by default and all the people I see using their iPhone just haven't turned it off.
    Could you point to any of the discussions? I'd be interested to read.

I hate that the iPhone is essentially dead unless you wake it. I found I'd wake it to check for any missed notifications hundreds of times a day (it sits on my desk switched to silent most of the day and I'm always back and forth, so the notification light on Android phones stops the need to keep checking).

6. AfroAbel macrumors regular

AfroAbel

Notification light - eh would be nice

default apps - Apple's apps are more than good enough

pop up dialogue boxes - I never have any problems with this?

scrolling - IOS is way way smoother than android and with promotion will only be increasing that lead.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In General, the LED notification light for the iPhone has been discussed many times. I wouldn't mind having the LED notification indicator, but I don't see Apple venturing onto that path.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-would-iphone-be-impacted-by-adding-led-light.1975911/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-front-facing-led-flash-wish.1910805/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...notification-led-in-its-iphone-brand.1778986/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/still-no-led-indicator-sigh.1438719/

8. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks

I guess I would expect Apple to come up with something better than just a flashing LED, something more like the Moto Active Display which, now the iPhone will finally have an OLED screen, they could do.

9. Nozuka macrumors 68020

they might introduce some kind of always on display feature, to show an icon when you have a message.

but you never know what to expect with apple ;)

10. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

They've had the led notification light for years. Not sure what else you want exactly. It works

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Also, you can use the camera flash if somebody chooses for notification/calls as well.

12. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

You can "remove" a lot of the default apps now, with a few key exceptions (phone, messages, app store, safari, settings, photos and camera ... and probably a few more). I don't think the LED light will ever come, but you can set the camera flash to erm.. flash when you get a notification, but that's not ideal. I suppose 'raise to wake' is their answer

Pretty much everything else you had gripes with can be customised to your preferences.

13. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Who's 'they'? I'm talking about Apple.

14. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Your list forgot to mention Apple designs the best mobile phone chipsets.

15. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I go shopping for a mobile phone, "the best chipset" isn't really on the list of features I'm looking for.

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

The camera flash can be enabled as a notification light in the settings. Never used it.

17. aristobrat, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

aristobrat macrumors G5

Not sure if this what the poster meant, but FWIW, in other parts of the world, companies are often referred as "they" (as the company is a collection of people), which means they also use the plural of verbs. i.e. "Apple are..." vs. the US "Apple is..."

As for notifications of missed calls, etc, I think Apple would prefer that people buy Apple Watches to stay in touch with what's happening, vs. having to leave their phone within eyesight and monitoring it.

18. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Unless I'm mistaken, that flashes at the moment the message comes and then stops. No good if you're away from your phone for several minutes.

Plus it means leaving your phone screen-down in order to see it.

19. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

It can, my missus uses it and it does my head in. Imagine having the iPhone torch flashed in your eyeballs. My favourite time for this to go off is when I am going to sleep or I am driving. One makes sure that you don't fall asleep and the other makes you think a speed camera has just caught you.

Its a ****** feature and god knows why anyone uses it.

20. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

To me iOS plus their chipsets (which is what iOS is based on) is the differentiation from android. Power button placement, oled, notification light isn't that important, to me. But I understand that was your list.

21. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

haha agreed. When I receive a text I don't ned a fright at the same time :)

22. BMox macrumors 6502a

Can't help that this is yet another sly dig towards Apple with the whole "iPhone is catching up to Android..." title, but to answer your question, no - the iPhone X will not have a notification light.

23. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Safari scrolling in iOS 11 is faster than iOS 10. I cant compare the speed to android. Scrolling maybe faster, slower or equal.
    No notification light, but with an aw I don't have to carry my phone around, which to me is better than a notification light.

24. entraik Suspended

iPhone is far from catching up with Android LMAO

25. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I have to say, if I want them to implement any one feature from Android devices, I want it to be the notification LED.