iPhone Is Losing Popularity(Facts)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeavenlySword, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavenlySword macrumors newbie

FACTS
    • iPhone has fallen out of the top ten on Cnet
    • iPhone sales are down:[​IMG]
    • Fido has discontinued 16gb iPhone
    • Finding the iPhone page on Rogers website is nearly impossible
    • www.celebrityblackberrysightings.com is updated daily, www.celebrityiphonesightings.com (same owners) hasn't been updated since July 2008
    • Blackberry Storm has been recently been shown in many T.V shows; Gossip Girl, 90210, Law and Order SVU, House, Samantha Who, and more. iPhone has only been seen ONCE on T.V. on one show, and that's Ugly Betty, who watches that?
    • Apple hasn't updated the iPhone page of their site in months, and look at this picture:http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/gallery/#image2
    • Best Buys and Wal-Marts in my area used to have a whole section or kiosk of about 20-30 demo iPhones that could be used, now it has been reduced to about 3-5 and the section has been replaced with other phones.
    • The Apple Stores have taken down the huge tv. iPhone displays in the window.
    • iPhone is no longer listed in Best Buy's weekly flyer.
    • iPhone App Store is more popular than the actual iPhone.
    • iPhone used to make up more that %80 of Engadget and Gizmodo's posts, after emailing some of the editors, they revealed that iPhone now makes up about %15 of posts.
    • iPhone is still not available in many countries, and Apple hasn't expanded availability since the release of iPhone 3g.
    • Rogers has introduced 3.5g speeds, and of course, iPhone 3g doesn't support it, but Blackberry Bold and Curve do.
    • Rogers is also ditching the 16gb iPhone
    • Rogers is wrecking 6gb accounts: http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/0...cking-6gb-accounts-fido-ditching-iphone-16gb/
    • Nintendo is launching their own DS store, which will be available to the 100 million plus DS users.
    • Apple has discontinued the iPhone Bluetooth Headset.

Lets hope Apple has something revolutionary coming.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to EVERY HOLIDAY SALE EVER. :confused:

TV product placements are meaningless. You really have no clue where the iPhone has been, either.
    iPhone page updates are meaningless.
    What Best Buy and Wal-Mart do is up to them.
    Apple Stores took down the iPhone displays becase IT ISN'T THE ONLY THING THEY SELL.
    Best Buy puts whatever it wants in its ads.
    So what if the App Store is more "popular" than the actual iPhone? This isn't even possible. Where do you think people are PUTTING their apps?
    Who cares what Engadget and Gizmodo report on? Maybe the iPhone isn't necessary for LIFE. Maybe there are other electronic devices that other companies have put out.

All in all, none of these points have any merit, and this post is really rather sad. :(

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did you really look at the graph?

apples Q1 is their fiscal quater for the holiday season

4. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

When something has been out over 9 months there obviously is going to be a dive in sales, as everyone by this point that wanted an iPhone has already got one.

I really found it funny that you claim the iPhone is losing popularity because it was not inside the Best Buy weekly flyer.

AND the iPhone was released at the beginning of the Calendar Q3 so obviously there sales are going to be higher during the first 3 months of its release, and will slowly trickle down after that. Since the iPhone didn't sell 6.89 million units like it did in it first Quarter then it must be not as popular? Please, like I already said by this time everyone that wanted one has most likely had the opportunity to get one. The numbers are going to continue to trickle down until the release of another iPhone.

I can't wait for people to start throwing out the 100's of shows the iPhone has been on...

5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm not looking to defend the iPhone or bash it, frankly, I don't care - its selling anyway, and I'm a BlackBerry user.

But FYI, the iPhone has been in House, 100% - and I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Gossip Girl, but I could be wrong.

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

7. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

you obviously dont watch ER, where in the past couple months that ive been forced to watch it by my girlfriend and ive seen numerous iphone sightings. Furthermore who really cares if its popular

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Amazing! You've identified the iPhone's product life cycle.

All this data makes complete sense, but not in proving the iPhone has lost popularity. It proves that the current iPhone is reaching the end of its life cycle. Remember last year when the devices weren't available for almost an entire quarter (Q308). Wow, imagine the pent up demand that would occur in the following quarter - I wish I could show you in a graph.

Then let's remember that AT&T changed the activation requirements which meant that buying an iPhone for a holiday gift required buying a gift card which would very likely have been used after January 1st 2009 - which has yet to be reported.

I guess we can't exclude the downturn in the economy which has affected consumer purchasing in general.

Expect this trend to continue until Apple changes the iPhone's product cycle, at which point I hope to hear from you again with more enlightening information.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Just wait until the summer. It will be "popular" again.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

No one cares about CNET. No one cared about CNET in 2004.

Fido is not discontinuing the 16 gig iPhone. Where did you hear that?

Neither is Rogers.

Apple hasn't updated the iPhone page in months? Has the product changed in the past few months or something? Why would they change it?

Are you really this bored?

11. kolax macrumors G3

How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Simpsons (as a spoof), Weeds...

To name a few ;)

12. HeavenlySword thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-rogers/16gb-iphone3g-units-discontinued-at-fido/

13. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Guess WHY so many companies don't carry a large supply if any of the iPhones now....

Ding, Ding, Ding!

They're clearing inventory for the new one. OBVIOUSLY if there are no iPhones in stock, if it's not already the case it will be VERY soon, there are no iPhone to sell - THUS! resulting in a decline in iPhone sales.

You're about as smart as the guy(s) that put together the M$ adds......

14. pugnut macrumors 6502a

A few facts,
    1) This was apples first entry into the phone market and has sold more handset then any other company in the same number of quarters.

2) The technicial developments that this first timer made is now the base standards that every new phone is compared to.

3) All of Palms ideas were stolen from Apple, period. They have no touched or updated their crappy little OS for years. Without apple they would be Out Of Business, and still may get there.

4) I am way better off having invested in Apple then any other company, like Nokia or Palm.

I like how apple has laid out a roadmap to get their device to perfection. They are not trying to force everything into the device at once and failing. Perfection is more important to them and I like that. Would I like things, sure, but I can wait. Overall a way better experience with some minor shortcomings.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

1. Obviously sells are going to fluctuate, especially when millions already have the iPhone. Just wait to see what happens when the next comes out.

2. Fido getting rid of 16GB has also been used as a rumor that a new iPhone is coming, not that the iPhone is losing steam.

3. Some of your "facts?" are random with no basis. Wal-mart's kiosk is smaller? The iPhone isn't in Best Buy ads? Apple took down the iPhone display? Which store? It is still up at mine here.

4. iPhone has been on TV once? Really? In the last few days I have seen it on CSI Miami, NCIS and Two and a Half Men (Granted Charlie holds it upside down lol). I don't watch TV a lot but these are just a few examples in the past few days.

5. Nintendo is launching their own DS store?!!! Crap! Sell your Apple stocks now! It's the end. :rolleyes:

16. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I've also seen iPhones regularly in NCIS and Chuck.

17. HeavenlySword thread starter macrumors newbie

Go to www.bestbuy.com and click Weekly Ad, iPhone is nowhere to be seen, but Best Buy still chooses to show phones that are almost a year such as the LG Envy and LG Dare.

18. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

19. HeavenlySword thread starter macrumors newbie

20. Whab macrumors newbie

21. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

They do have business relationships with other manufacturers. The current iPhone is reaching the end of its life cycle and Apple refuses to give anyone any information to post about the next iPhone.

Is this thread serious? Were you just bored when you woke up this morning?

22. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Its been out 9 months or so, you still want it to be the number one thing on any website you go to? NO.

It's great you bring this up now, because this is the time iPhone's gain popularity again.. With an inevitable release this summer the hype is just starting to rise again.

23. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

24. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It's surprising what one can read into sales figures!

Compare fiscal quarters 3 & 4 of 2007 with the same quarters in 2008 and the first quarter of 2008 with the same quarter of 2009. You will see that during these periods, sales actually INCREASED! :)

25. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

uh-oh...the iPhone is no longer the main feature of the Apple.com homepage! I think its gonna be discontinued!! :p

Anyways.....Sorry, but this thread can't be taken seriously in my opinion. Its part of the iPhone product cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.