iPhone isn't considered cool anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Sep 13, 2011.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

President of HTC America said the following:

Do you guys see this as well? Are you seeing more non iPhones out there than in the past, especially amongst teens?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

The iPhone isn't cool anymore....says the President of HTC :rolleyes: Clearly his opinion isn't jaded by any means.

3. darster Suspended

Does it matter? If one needs to own something because it's "cool" then it proves to me they are the lowest common denominator.

4. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

this could also just mean that the iPhone could be an AWESOME enterprise device, something Apple should work on imo.

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I do, but i don't think it's because iPhone is not cool anymore.

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I would say give it about 6 weeks from now and then we should be able to determine just how cool the iPhone is.

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

People who buy a phone because it's "cool" are ridiculous to begin with. I thought the idea was to buy the best phone for what you need it to do, not to spend money so that a bunch of anonymous people can induct you into some fictitious "hip" club.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It already is an awesome enterprise device.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't care if the iPhone isn't "cool" anymore. It is what best meets my needs.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

iPhones aren't cool to teens anymore? So exactly what part of me should care about a generation who think Justin Beiber and that Friday girl are talented artists, Tranceformers is a good movie, and who probably couldn't write a coherent sentence if someone paid them. Additionally, if you base your self worth on a phone you probably have more serious issues to worry about.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The "cool" factor is always important. You don't *need* an iPhone (or do you? Then, why?). The capacitive multitouch screen, the games and the price make the iPhone "cool". Nothing new about that. People buy what's cool if they can, and if too many have it, then it usually becomes less cool.

Edit: 5x "cool" in the message.

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You are blatantly quoting something from the president of HTC. That is all. It's like going into a Public Forum round and quoting The Onion - It just doesn't work.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey since a few teenagers on his daughters school in Portlant dont think the iphone is cool anymore then Im getting an HTC.
    Not:D

14. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I never bought the iPhone because it was "Cool". I bought it because it was the best phone at the time, and I think it continues that position, but is getting closely surrounded by good alternatives.

If cool is all you need then go with the trends, I'll stick with what works best for me.

15. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

I wish I could be as cool as the HTC president's 19 year old daughter

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

People who buy a phone because it's "cool" are uncool themselves.

17. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

There a MILLIONS of people that have purchased an iPhone for the simple reason that it is "cool". Don't think there isn't.

Exactly.

I agree with you. But I'm betting you're in the minority. Most teenagers and young adults buy what is "cool", not what would be best for them. Hell, I've seen grade school kids with iPhones.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone, but own an Android that I absolutely hate with a passion.

18. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

can any high schoolers/college students/grade schoolers comment on this?

are you seeing more non-iPhones out there amongst your peers and colleagues?

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Now there is a well constructed, scientifically sampled survey with a significant sample size conducted by a totally unbiased source. :rolleyes:

This^^

This is not the group that defines "cool" for everybody. BTW, there are other reasons to have an iPhone besides being "cool". Ease of functioning, convenience, useful apps, and, yes, aesthetics, are other reasons besides "cool" ;)

20. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Not to slight anyone, but I'm not in high school anymore. I don't buy things because someone else thinks its cool or not cool.
    The "in thing" doesnt really apply here, does it?

Besides, who really gives a flying f&*k what some clown at some other company says?
    I buy things that I want because "I" want/like/need them. Not because someone says its cool. :D

21. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

Exactly. his opinion might hold merit if their flagship device topped JD Power surveys every year.

22. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

to those that are saying that teens only buy things for 'utilitarian' reasons are kidding themselves. Teens buy things that aren't always in their best interest.

23. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I didn't get an iPhone to be cool or down with the kids.

I got it because it does everything I want it to and in my opinion it's the best smart phone available.

The HTC guy saying it? Nothing like a bit of biast.:apple:

24. applefan289 macrumors 68000

No matter what the social status of the iPhone is, it will always be the best.

25. GarytheiPhonema macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

totally disagree with his statements. I just dropped my son off at Skidmore and his roommate carried an iPhone (my son uses a iPhone 4) as did two hall-mates that joined us for lunch. Perhaps parents are the ones buying those Android devices.. :cool: