iPhone OS 3.0 Tethering Working on AT&T over Bluetooth on iMac G3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneJB, Mar 19, 2009.

1. iPhoneJB macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I just got tethering working on my iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.0 over AT&T. I tethered to my iMac G3 400 MHz running Mac OS X 10.4.11 using Bluetooth. This post was entirely written over a tethered iPhone. I will post more details shortly, but here are a few pictures, enjoy! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Lies! Post step by step instruction as proof!

3. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

4. iPhoneJB thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow these instructions, but leave the username and password blank

5. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

6. iNikon macrumors member

Good for you. When more people start tethering their phones and blowing up AT&T's bandwidth, you can all expect your data plans to go up in price. Bravo.

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

Be careful with these instructions as is. It might cause you to get charged for additional data usage while tethering without a tethering plan on your account.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

Followup:

I've successfully gotten to the point where the iPhone will pair to the computer. It shows "Not Connected" and will not connect from there.

Are there any additional instructions on what is needed?

9. iPhoneJB thread starter macrumors newbie

10. iPhoneJB thread starter macrumors newbie

In the Bluetooth Menu bar icon, in the Your Name's iPhone menu, click "Connect to Network".

11. LinMac macrumors 65816

The phone successfully pairs and shows the "Connect to Network" option. It will then follow up with "Bluetooth network failed." with an explaination "Failed to open a connection to the network service. Your device may have reached its maximum number of supported network connections."

I've also tried to use the Bluetooth menu on the iPhone to connect, but it defaults back to Not Connected. Both have bluetooth on and I see no problems right off.

12. iPhoneJB thread starter macrumors newbie

Try pairing the iPhone with another computer, it is probally an issue with the computer.

13. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

BTW this 'hack' actually fixed a bug! You no longer get the 45 second delay when you go to the network preferences :)

14. LinMac macrumors 65816

My Mac Mini seems to work fine with it, but my Rev. B Macbook Air can't seem to pair correctly.

Interestingly enough there was a difference in the pairing process. The iPhone displayed the passcode in a dialog for the Macbook Air while the Mac Mini pairing process required me to type the passcode into the phone.

15. LinMac macrumors 65816

The Mac Mini pairing process seems to be much different than the Rev. B Macbook Air or Late 2008 Macbook Pro.

The Mac Mini pairing process will require you to type in the passkey while the other two will display something like:

16. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Exactly! I do that for ages now...

17. Vonswanko macrumors regular

When I updated my carrier settings, it let me set up the tethering, but took away all of my MMS menus. So no more camera icon, no more share as MMS. I restored my phone, with out the carrier updates and they are all back.

18. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i get the tethering options but it says i have to many network connections over bluetooth and restarts the phone again and again when i try to USB tether. I'm on AT&T in the US.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Or better yet, jailbreak your iPhone and use iPhoneModem.... easy simple and you don't need a buggy OS to run it.
    :D

Nah, all power to you there OP, but in my opinion other people should not update because of this, 3.0 should be held for Devs only.

20. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

jailbreak.....totally not buggy....oh wait......

edit: sorry for being an ass, but my last jailbreak experience caused more headaches then smiles, it just totally sucked. Has jailbreaking gotten any better? also, i cant jailbreak on my aluminum MBP, which is annoying too.

edit 2: enabling iphone tethering, can you create a ad-hoc network to tether?

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Using the iPhoneModem method you create an ad-hoc network thru Wi-Fi.;)

Yes, there are some perks with jailbreaking, but once you reach that state, its a *very* downhill thing. Also see my signature for more info on jailbreaking. Post 2 of that thread.:p

BTW - Everyone is entitled to their opinions,:D:D

22. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Wait isnt the white g3 600 and 700MZH only purple red were 400?

23. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

error mesage: "Failed to open a connection to the network service. Your device may have reached its maximum number of supported network connections." could AT&T be blocking me?

Update: i think i may have some kind of bluetooth failure, because the phone refuses to keep a connection over bluetooth with another computer (a macbook) and my main laptop. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nop, its just an error. Try again.

25. LinMac macrumors 65816

Yep. See my post above.