Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Beta 3 has been great for me so far. One thing that was driving me crazy on Beta 1 was that, every so often, I would get a ton of appointment reminders for past and future appointments for no reason at all. It was weird! Maybe it's cause I have to ActiveSync accounts configured...or cause it's beta software :D

So far, so good with Beta 3 though. It's running pretty smooth!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So... do wallpapers work on the 3G now?

Edit: I've read on a Dutch website it still doesn't work. I don't think this is a bug, 3G won't get wallpapers. Very lame.

So what exactly has the 3G gained from 4.0 over the course of the three beta versions, aside from Folders and a new dock (minus reflections).

The 3G can handle wallpapers and a reflective dock, I done both on my 3G when it was jailbroken.

As you put it, it's "lame". Personally I'd call it a f**king joke.

Avizzv92

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
So what exactly has the 3G gained from 4.0 over the course of the three beta versions, aside from Folders and a new dock (minus reflections).

The 3G can handle wallpapers and a reflective dock, I done both on my 3G when it was jailbroken.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I also think Orientation Lock, which can be handled by any device, Is also not supported by the 3g... I'm severely disappointed that Apple wont give something as basic as Wall Papers and such to the iPod Touch 2g I have.

Pretty much one big scam by Apple unless something changes between now and release.

I never bothered jailbraking before but this whole mess with the the barely dated version getting screwed is making me think otherwise.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Opened defect report 7947501 on problem in B3 with trying to send SMS from Contacts app. If a particular Contact has email address along with phone number(s) then SMS is not offered as a choice when you select 'Text Message'. Only MMS.

Other then this minor nit, I've seen nothing but improvements in form, function, and performance vs. B1 and B2.

neal.young

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Irvine, California
I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread, but the OP did not mention that there is a new app-switching animation. Instead of doing the traditional fade out/fade in, the apps now look like they swirl around each other. Hard to describe exactly what they do, but it is smoother and nicer looking than the previous animation.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread, but the OP did not mention that there is a new app-switching animation. Instead of doing the traditional fade out/fade in, the apps now look like they swirl around each other. Hard to describe exactly what they do, but it is smoother and nicer looking than the previous animation.
That was part of beta 2.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Correct me if I'm wrong but I also think Orientation Lock, which can be handled by any device, Is also not supported by the 3g... I'm severely disappointed that Apple wont give something as basic as Wall Papers and such to the iPod Touch 2g I have.

Pretty much one big scam by Apple unless something changes between now and release.

I never bothered jailbraking before but this whole mess with the the barely dated version getting screwed is making me think otherwise.

Doesn't work on the 3G. There is no way to acess the menu to adjust the setting. It is off of the new app control menu and the 3G doesn't have it at all.

So yes, reflective dock and folders so far.

rpeterslll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
Does anyone experience a delay in response after opening the mail app?
Also after answering a call?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

Avizzv92 said:
WeegieMac said:

It's pretty absurd, isn't it? I mean, how dare Apple encourage people to upgrade to more modern hardware by not giving older devices all the bells and whistles the newer devices (with twice as much RAM and significantly faster processors) can handle. The nerve!

Seriously, if it angers you that much, vote with your dollars and buy a different phone. Whinging about it on the Internet will accomplish nothing. ;)

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

It's pretty absurd, isn't it? I mean, how dare Apple encourage people to upgrade to more modern hardware by not giving older devices all the bells and whistles the newer devices (with twice as much RAM and significantly faster processors) can handle. The nerve!

Seriously, if it angers you that much, vote with your dollars and buy a different phone. Whinging about it on the Internet will accomplish nothing. ;)

Wrong. Stop being so narrow minded.

I agree that major features should be left out of older devices when the hardware physically cannot handle them, such is the case with multitasking on the iPhone 3G.

Features like wallpaper do not push the 3G whatsoever, and having previously ran Winterboard themes including a 4.0 theme, there's no issue with performance.

Leaving out features a device CAN handle simply to force people to upgrade is wrong. No-one with an older device is expecting the "bells and whistles", but features that a device can easily support should be included.

Not everyone has the money to rush off and buy a new iPhone every year, and I personally refuse to enter into a 2 year contract at £35 a month or more plus the fee for the latest model. That's why I bought my 3G on PAYG last year in September.

Now, I know it's not Apple's fault that I'm not in a position to buy a new phone every 12 months, and I'm well aware this will be the 3G's final firmware update, but leaving out features everyone knows the device can handle simply to try and piss people off enough into upgrading is wrong.

I'm also well aware that "whinging" about it on the Internet isn't going to change anything, but who's whinging? I'm expressing my opinion, which I'm entitled to do regardless of the usual repetitive, poorly attempted expressions of sarcasm.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

WeegieMac said:
Leaving out features a device CAN handle simply to force people to upgrade is business.

Fixed. Again, if Apple's attempts to make a profit (by 'encouraging' people to upgrade their aging handsets) bother you so much, vote with your dollars and buy a different phone. It's not that complicated, really. I assure you, it will have an infinitely greater chance of getting Apple's attention than simply whinging about it online. ;)

slalave2

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
I know that this is still a beta, but I have heard from people that have been running backups by installing SDK - but it did not help me. Now I get error code 35 instead - someone who has a solution to this problem? :)

And if you compare these two beta (2 vs. 3), it is like night and day. What a difference!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Fixed. Again, if Apple's attempts to make a profit (by 'encouraging' people to upgrade their aging handsets) bother you so much, vote with your dollars and buy a different phone. It's not that complicated, really. I assure you, it will have an infinitely greater chance of getting Apple's attention than simply whinging about it online. ;)

Business or not, you're missing my point.

The "bells and whistles" of 4.0 is without doubt multitasking, and I accept that the 3G cannot handle that feature.

At the end of the day there is no excuse for leaving out home screen wallpaper on the 3G, the device can handle it, but there you go.

Oh and I don't spend dollars, I spent pounds ... the location status exists for a reason. I'm also not too amused at repeating myself when you've ignored most of my previos post and regurgitated your original point.

And as I also said, it's not whinging ... it's called opinion.

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
The technical limitations are a fairly weak argument. As I'm sure both sides of this argument can agree, this move is purely financial.

Do I agree with it? No. They overcharge for every product sold and......that's another story for another day.

I've learned to not settle for something just because the big kind man told me to. Apple can ____ my ____. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.