iPhone OS 4.0 - overall feeling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, May 2, 2010.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I will be upgrading to the next iPhone. For me, the iPhone OS is very important - since 4.0 was announced there hasn't been much talk about it. Yes, folders are OK, multi-tasking is a little confusing, iAd seems like a pain, changing the wallpaper should have been standard from day one.

What are people's overall feeling of 4.0? Will we see any further significant changed through the betas?

I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

2. matttye macrumors 601

My feelings are yaaaaaaaawn. Still ages behind most of the competition.

3. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. Nothing jumped out and me go wow that would be fantastic.

I would like to have seen;

BT file transfer
    Notification screen or swipe up for all Apps that need attention
    The ability to change the colours of bars (themes)
    Screen rotation lock
    add a contact to the home screen
    A double tap of the battery would make it possible to toggle on/off BT, Wi-Fi etc etc
    Message tones (new)
    Que downloads from the App Store so the App doesn't quit.

I don't think any of the above are asking for too much.

4. matttye macrumors 601

I've got all of those on my Desire :D

Other than "A double tap of the battery would make it possible to toggle on/off BT, Wi-Fi etc etc" - but you can add toggle widgets to the home screen to do that instead.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

How exactly is multitasking confusing?

I am using beta 2 (yes, I am a dev) and the process is fairly straight forward (although none of the apps can take advantage of the services yet).

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I feel like we still haven't seen all that Apple has coming for iPhone OS 4, for the most part the features that Apple highlighted a few weeks back were ones that developers needed to know about so they could work their apps to be compatible (multitasking being the big one). Sure they showed the background wallpaper and folders along with a few other things that developers didn't necessarily need to know, but these were just shown to increase some overall interest other than what would seem like boring tech-talk to 90% of people.

I think that seeing a reworked notification system on the lock screen along with reworked features on the homescreen are still highly possible that Apple may wait to announce with the next phone. Plus, we've been seeing all of these hints towards a front-facing camera and an iChat app, something that would really put 4.0 on top (even though it is both a hardware and software issue). I'm nearly positive that we haven't seen the last of what's new in 4.0

7. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I thought people were confused about the quick task switcher and when they should quit the apps?! When the Apps can take advantage of it, do you think it will be good?

The widget idea is awesome! Couldn't that be an App feature other than through a major OS release?

8. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yawn. :rolleyes:

Apparently I'm the only one who likes OS4. Coming from a jailbroken 3GS, OS4 feels very quick and responsive (Safari is snappier!) and I really like the fact that I can now change my wallpaper without a respring (and since Settings remembers where I was when I exited last, it's easy to test out a bunch of different wallpapers in a very short amount of time) ... I like the ways folders are implemented (thought I'd miss Overboard but I actually like OS4's folder system better - it's faster) ... Spell check is great (though its accuracy could stand to be improved) and I'm glad that they've finally added an editable readings dictionary for Japanese input.

Overall, I think OS4 is pretty cool - cool enough that I don't miss my jailbroken 3.1.2 - aside from 3GUnrestrictor, anyway.

10. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yea it is really sad. Its been the same look since 07 and the background on springboard should have been available since day one. Getting tired of this phone actually.

11. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I feel the same way. I'm also really tired of the archaic notification system. I'm not even that impressed with the new iPhone design. I hope gizmodos wasn't the final version or it'd going to make my decision so easy!

12. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm pretty excited about 4.0. I could care less if it have an alert for this or that. I've used android from the very first G1 and i've used the iphone since its inception.

IMO 4.0 looks better to me. And that's just what i like. Sorry some of you don't like it. Go find a device that does make you happy. But let me enjoy mine in peace

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I LOVE OS4.

Honestly I don't understand these "Behind the competition" comments. I've seen a great amount of the competition and still feel nothing comes close to the iPhone.

Anyway things do feel faster on it and its certainly a welcome addition. It also looks more like my mac :D

14. iphonetester macrumors member

For those of you with "Desire" and other Android devices - in all honesty what is your battery life and screen accuracy?

15. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I think the battery life on most of these devices is awful. My iPhone is pretty terrible too, but I have a charging cable at work and in my car. Thats the one other nice thing about the iPhone (I can play it directly through my car and it appears on my nav screen).

16. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do hope some of you are right and we see a few of the missing features.

For me, I look at the home screen and just want something new/ fresh/ excitng - you guys know what I mean.

With the additon of the new gamecentre app, maybe an iChat app, fm radio app there s going to be a whole page of standard iPhone apps that come as a standard..now we can hide them away in folders.

I've really got my fingers crossed for widgets, screen lock rotation and contacts on home page :)

with a snappier OS, bigger battery, better processor...the battery should last twce as long as the stAndard one

shawn

17. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think we have the tinker Geek in the right corner asking for total control and the minimalism Geek in the left corner loving the implementation.

The fast App-switching is nice, on a 3GS it feels insanely fast. I wish they had limited the number of Apps that appear in the multitasking pane. It's sometimes faster to just search.

Ability to open email attachments with third-party Apps is wonderful!

19. shandyman Suspended

How is iAd a pain? its not going to be adding Ads everywhere, from what they are saying, its just to replace the exisiting ads in apps. just makes them less buggy and interfering.

i'm looking forward to os4. people always say about android having the ability to do this or that and that apple is behind, but i prefer a phone that works, the os is stable and reliable and isn't as taxing on the battery life. the android is the opposite of this from my experience.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Folks let's be honest.

If what you saw was the iPhone OS 4 announcement's "7 Tentpoles" and have nothing else to go off of then there is likely to be disappointment.

When Apple says they have 100 new features and 1500 new API they really only address the larger core functionality. There are a LOT of little tweaks throughout the whole OS.

I'm convinced there are generally two type of Smartphone users.

The first group uses their phone to manage their daily life. The feel the the UI, the depth of the apps are very important. For all intent and purpose this is their mini computer. These are the power users and they need constant evolution of the whole platform to make their lives better.

The second group is more of your basic phone enthusiast. They don't really rely on their phone to manage their lives it's primarily an all everything device that they game on and chat and make their calls. They are not particularly wedded to any platform and they are more drawn to the sizzle of new hyped features or whatnot.

With the iPhone there are many of both and as you can see from this thread there are both types responding. The folks from the second group are telling people that the iPhone is behind (likely because it misses some flashy UI element) or they're astroturfing their favorite phone. Some easily grow bored and need new flashy stuff. That's fair.

Unless you're a developer with access to the SDK you will not know the full impact of iPhone OS 4 and developers are under NDA so they can't tell you of all the cool little things that make a platform great.

I'm not a developer so I'm basing my thoughts on free and public info but there are a lot of things that I'm looking forward to in iPhone OS 4. Has the UI changed drastically? No. Did I want it to? No.

In a nutshell Apple's done a bang up job on iPhone OS 4. I still believe that a totally revamped notification system is coming and later a native printing solution (by the time iPhone OS 4.x launches for iPad)

21. jjprusk macrumors member

Battery life

I have had the Motorola Droid and am now carrying the Incredible (in addition to my iPhone 3Gs). Power consumption in all three looks about the same to me. Pretty much you need to charge them every night...

22. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Android phones don't work? Come on now. I'm an apple guy but this silly rhetoric needs to stop. Both phones work well. It depends on what you are looking for. I've been an iPhone user for 3 years now and I'm
    moving on. The iPhone feels 3 years old. I don't expect that to change with 4.0. Apple will still be successful and maybe I'll come back next year if they truly innovate.

23. shandyman Suspended

i found android's os buggy and stubborn, the phone has crashed many times, so yea, i class that as not working. calling it a silly rhetoric is daft as the fact that many people are saying similar makes it pure fact.

i like the UI on the iPhone, i don't need it to be revamped as it does what it needs to well.

24. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

What android phone and what version?

You like the iPhones notification system that blocks you out from your current app? And you like if you close it that it disappears forever?

I think the iPhone was great but I appreciate innovation year after year. I feel like the iPhone is becoming the new razr. It was great and got better then kind of went nowhere for a year. Hopefully Apple's 4.0 has additional surprises because otherwise just seems like same old to me.

25. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Yeah I know the debate on Flash

However, when you pay about $1,000.00 per year not including the price of the phone for the Internet in your pocket

And get blue boxes daily that say "you got no Flash"

And SJ saying Fu@k Flash

Yeah I feel kinda sad

I'm waiting to test drive 4.0, but the EVO with 4.3" screen, hotspot, and Flash could make me jump ship!