iPhone SE 2 Rumors Remain Conflicted Over Design and Release Date

SparkOnShore

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Don't worry, just having a bit of fun at your expense, watching you throw insults because you haven't a clue about what you're even discussing. The reason my summit head gear sounds extraordinary is because of the cutting edge engineering at the back end of the system not the source code. You're not even making the argument about the correct subject.
Good, I agree with you! So make the courageous move and compare blindly and volume matched, your extraordinary cabled Audeze with other high end cabled cans as well as with matching quality high end Bluetooth headphones. Test must be conducted from other people and the turn on which you listen each time must be random. If you find any audible quality differences in favor of cables, then keep on listening on these huge cans with their lace running down your pants! Just informing that in such tests, when accurately executed, no one could ever discern any difference. That’s why anymore the term “audiophile” is quite laughable. In any case if you hear something let us know! Cheers...

Mr Invisible

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
“General software engineering” and you still believe that Bluetooth with Apple’s W1 chip degrades sound through Apple Music, in 2018!! What can I say??! It’s just pity! You still believe that plugging 1,50 met cable gives you better sound in an Apple device! I suggest you do a blind test and if you can come up with the conclusion that cabled was better then by all means, go on hitting cables while walking!! Thanks for blocking by the way and welcome to 1960! Just stop writing like you write to idiots, because we are not!
[doublepost=1526334121][/doublepost]
He's right. If you have inquisitive ears, the difference in sound quality is obvious. Playing music in my car using the lightning connector, sounds much cleaner with more detail, when compared to using bluetooth instead. Wired will never beat wireless for audio quality. If audio quality is acceptable with bluetooth to your ears, then go for it.

Some people are audiophiles to some extent, others couldn't care less.

SparkOnShore

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
He's right. If you have inquisitive ears, the difference in sound quality is obvious. Playing music in my car using the lightning connector, sounds much cleaner with more detail, when compared to using bluetooth instead. Wired will never beat wireless for audio quality. If audio quality is acceptable with bluetooth to your ears, then go for it.

Some people are audiophiles to some extent, others couldn't care less.
You can never judge audio from a car’s system. Also I cannot comment on the Bluetooth receiver on your car’s system. I only speak about an iPhone with Apple Music to headphones or iems. Unfortunately for now you can use the W1 cheap with only Apple or Beats headphones but even using whichever high end Bluetooth headphones, no W1, but with Apple device in a blind test, volume matched with many different cans included, cabled and wireless, in random turn, no golden ear can say which ones were the wired and which ones were the wireless. It’s already proven and done. People just support the cables because it’s what they know, it’s what they’ve been used to and it’s what they’ve been told it’s high quality audio and accepted as high end! People have bought the marketing skims and the lies of all these small boutique companies, over the years, that makes it so difficult for them to really open their minds and ears and move on. Apple is producing the best possible wireless audio quality right now, through their devices and via their software, that really makes everybody who cares listening to high end audio while being liberated from the chords, to say yes, there is no need for any other product anymore! All frequencies are there, well balanced and well produced. That’s all there is to it...

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Make a blind test, and if you hear any difference, come and tell us. For now just know you’re wrong! I listen on Apple Music, AAC full transmission and sounds awesome without any lost info...I don’t know what is bad Music... I guess there is no bad or good music, just music.
It's pretty easy to hear the difference, even with compressed aac tracks. Even more so when comparing to a CD or other uncompressed formats.
[doublepost=1526398144][/doublepost]I love all the comments on a wired jack being antiquated technology, yet every single piece of professional audio gear still uses a 1/4" headphone jack, even older than the 1/8" jack.

Keeping the headphone jack on a phone does not affect people that don't use it, so why so hellbent on defending the removal of it?

SparkOnShore

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
It's pretty easy to hear the difference, even with compressed aac tracks. Even more so when comparing to a CD or other uncompressed formats.
[doublepost=1526398144][/doublepost]I love all the comments on a wired jack being antiquated technology, yet every single piece of professional audio gear still uses a 1/4" headphone jack, even older than the 1/8" jack.

Keeping the headphone jack on a phone does not affect people that don't use it, so why so hellbent on defending the removal of it?
Haha!! Do it then since it’s easy! Without knowing of course what you hear and what you expect to hear!! In complete darkness, taking 100 different cans from others who conduct the test! Haha! Saying it’s easy, showing exactly how immature you are about audio. Many experienced golden ears cannot hear and you can?? Again there is no difference, but Bluetooth of Apple is hell liberating, with W1 chip, no wires, free to move. You just sit with your 10 kilos cans on head and wire stuck on sofa to listen to tunes!! Haha!!!
[doublepost=1526399640][/doublepost]

Cause it’s old, not useful anymore and holds a limited phone’s space from getting some more updated and advanced use!

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
The current iPhone X is basically an iPhone 8 design , which is a 7 design, 6S, 6.

So what’s wrong with having the most beloved 4/5/SE design with nice updates?? It’s the best design they ever did and many echo my opinion. An SE with an edge to edge screen that’s the same size as the 8 screen (roughly 4.7). Would indeed be a dream come true.

I get what your saying. But it is really an old iP4 chassis, which would be pretty ridiculous at this point. No harm in redesigning the phone a bit. But I really think Apple is terrified of cannabalizing sales of their high end phones with the SE.

First they used plastic to make it look cheaper. Now they drag out a phone from the Steve Jobs era. They will do what it takes to differentiate.

SparkOnShore

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017

Not all professional audio uses wires. Shure produces really high quality professional grade wireless gear for stage use. Dig deeper cause in some years all pro uses will also be wireless...

And one more thing about the blind test you all need to conduct in order to open your minds; When you have your eyes open in your house and you take a Bluetooth set that you know and then you take your wired Focal (by the way what a terrible quality control those French are having in all their products, cars, cans etc etc. My Focal Spirit Pro that I was using something like 10 years ago was the worst made set of cans I ever used. Cracking noises while moving your head and such. Internet was full of users complaining about this awful manufacturing...). So when you take those infamous Focal, you have the well known expectation bias. You say to your self, oh yes, this is music because it’s Focal, it has to be perfect since you have already bought the marketing lies and manipulation of all those small companies who can only sell “quality”, of course only in paper, you have also read some fake reviews of promoters on Head Fi and that’s all! This is not a blind test. A real test is when you don’t know what you hear and what to expect. You are blind folded and cans come one after the other, randomly, in huge variety! Well in that case you will see that all is same, if volume matched! And this is the real audio scenario, not the biased one!...

Reactions: HarryWild

HarryWild

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2012
Apple certainly can change the design of the SE! It a design that has been release since September 21, 2012 with the iPhone 5!
New technologies coming in 2018 including LTE5 rollout, LPDDR5, A12, new LCD screen technologies, etc... Why not a X mini aka SE2? 6 years is way to long! Ll!

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Not all professional audio uses wires. Shure produces really high quality professional grade wireless gear for stage use. Dig deeper cause in some years all pro uses will also be wireless...

And one more thing about the blind test you all need to conduct in order to open your minds; When you have your eyes open in your house and you take a Bluetooth set that you know and then you take your wired Focal (by the way what a terrible quality control those French are having in all their products, cars, cans etc etc. My Focal Spirit Pro that I was using something like 10 years ago was the worst made set of cans I ever used. Cracking noises while moving your head and such. Internet was full of users complaining about this awful manufacturing...). So when you take those infamous Focal, you have the well known expectation bias. You say to your self, oh yes, this is music because it’s Focal, it has to be perfect since you have already bought the marketing lies and manipulation of all those small companies who can only sell “quality”, of course only in paper, you have also read some fake reviews of promoters on Head Fi and that’s all! This is not a blind test. A real test is when you don’t know what you hear and what to expect. You are blind folded and cans come one after the other, randomly, in huge variety! Well in that case you will see that all is same, if volume matched! And this is the real audio scenario, not the biased one!...
Stage mics aren’t bluetooth. Show me a field mixer or recording console with no headphone jack.

Reactions: H818H

SparkOnShore

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Stage mics aren’t bluetooth. Show me a field mixer or recording console with no headphone jack.
I wrote wireless clever, not Bluetooth. Apple’s wireless tech also is not plain Bluetooth because it adds the W1 in the equation. It’s a mixture of WiFi capabilities and Bluetooth. There is no reason for now for a field mixer to be wireless, obviously. It’s a different use since you need to connect many different audio channels on that, instruments, computers etc. which need to be in sync with zero latency for live recording. What does that have to do with just listening to one stereo source producing audio?...Do you need the monstrosities of a headphone covering and pushing on your head, bearing the 2 met long and thick cable to enjoy your tunes, since audio mixers also use 1/4” ?? Haha!!! Oh please, get your heads together!!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Personally I think it’s timeless. Hence the reason the SE is still around. Tons of people love the design of it. Whereas the current design of the 8/X actually feels a little stale. The round edges make it WAY more slippery than the 4/5 design.
Totally agree. For ideal sure-grip design, the slightly thicker 4/5/SE line with its exquisitely chamfered edges has, imho, no equal design-wise, in Apple's line-up.

I know it's wishful thinking that's been echoed here before, but I too could get excited over an SE shell containing an edge-to-edge, notched, 5.2" LCD display, with FaceId, glass back for wireless charging and reasonably new internals. I believe Apple themselves might be amazed at the demand for such a beloved design.

Of course Apple has many other things to consider for line-up consistency, judiciously spaced-out price points, and of course maximized profits, so the above 5.2" SE will probably not ever materialize, but one never knows.

The fact the SE moniker has so far been associated with a lower price point entry-level iPhone should really not be an impediment to a new and vastly improved version of the SE that builds on its legacy of comfort in hand rather than be stuck in stale minimalist incrementalism. I'd gladly pay for the former.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I would like that the new SE kept the physical home button for compatibility with older peripherals (like my Rode i-XY microphone) or just because some people prefer logging in with their fingers instead of their face. Screen area could be slightly bigger by reducing bezels, though.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Totally agree. For ideal sure-grip design, the slightly thicker 4/5/SE line with its exquisitely chamfered edges has, imho, no equal design-wise, in Apple's line-up.

I know it's wishful thinking that's been echoed here before, but I too could get excited over an SE shell containing an edge-to-edge, notched, 5.2" LCD display, with FaceId, glass back for wireless charging and reasonably new internals. I believe Apple themselves might be amazed at the demand for such a beloved design.

Of course Apple has many other things to consider for line-up consistency, judiciously spaced-out price points, and of course maximized profits, so the above 5.2" SE will probably not ever materialize, but one never knows.

The fact the SE moniker has so far been associated with a lower price point entry-level iPhone should really not be an impediment to a new and vastly improved version of the SE that builds on its legacy of comfort in hand rather than be stuck in stale minimalist incrementalism. I'd gladly pay for the former.
If they do edge to edge LCD screen with 1st Gen Face ID, A10 processor, camera from iPhone 7, glass back, that should be just enough to get it to a $399 price point. I doubt they could do any of that at the current $349 pricing.

It would make the most sense to release in the fall since then they could use the high price iPhone X to tout the giant screens, 2nd gen face ID and A12 chip that does 8.17 quatrillion operations per second.

If none of this happens I'll be happy just getting the iPhone 8 at a cheaper price and call it a day. My 6S is perfectly fine for now and I cant believe Im saying that. But phones have just gotten so good lately. Theres very little perceptible speed difference between the phones for every day tasks.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Perhaps it’s actually two devices. The cheap SE2 being produced in the India factories for release in a couple of months. Furthermore an ‘iPhone XS’ being prototyped in China, with a later release date.

That might explain the conflicting rumours.
Apple's iPhone line is already very confusing, featuring several different models of several different generations being sold simultaneously alongside each other. Two different iPhone SE models and it's officially the 90's again for Apple...

Reactions: bluecoast

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Anyone with the iPhone 7 or later can still listen to music. You even get some new headphones in the box!
The quality of those headphones is horrid compared to any decent headphones. Why go back to using the bad Apple earbuds when you already spent a ton of money on expensive, good headphones? Yes you can use an adapter but again it has worse sound quality than any iPhone or iPod with a headphone jack.
[doublepost=1527541879][/doublepost]
1.5 stars out of 5? That's a relatively good rating for Apple accessories!

Wanted797

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
The quality of those headphones is horrid compared to any decent headphones. Why go back to using the bad Apple earbuds when you already spent a ton of money on expensive, good headphones? Yes you can use an adapter but again it has worse sound quality than any iPhone or iPod with a headphone jack.
[doublepost=1527541879][/doublepost]
1.5 stars out of 5? That's a relatively good rating for Apple accessories!
You’re obviously from the tiny percentage of audiophiles who’s obsessed with having the best quality. I’m sure there’s an adapted out there you could pick up with external DAC that would cheer you up.

You have to realise though what you want is in the smallest minority. They’re not going to leave the headphone jack for the benefit of 1% of their customers.

H818H

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
You’re obviously from the tiny percentage of audiophiles who’s obsessed with having the best quality. I’m sure there’s an adapted out there you could pick up with external DAC that would cheer you up.

You have to realise though what you want is in the smallest minority. They’re not going to leave the headphone jack for the benefit of 1% of their customers.
Your use of the word "obsessed"......"obsessed" suggests an undue or misplaced over-interest in something...

You've used the word to dismiss and belittle this guy's desire for future iPhones simply to sound as good as past iPhones.

The guy you were responding to was simply saying the adapter sounds worse than an inbuilt 3.5mm jack. And it does. Nothing he said gave any indication he was "obsessed", or that he was seeking "the best quality". He doesn't need "cheering up".

Please don't misrepresent - it stifles meaningful debate.

SparkOnShore

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Your use of the word "obsessed"......"obsessed" suggests an undue or misplaced over-interest in something...

You've used the word to dismiss and belittle this guy's desire for future iPhones simply to sound as good as past iPhones.

The guy you were responding to was simply saying the adapter sounds worse than an inbuilt 3.5mm jack. And it does. Nothing he said gave any indication he was "obsessed", or that he was seeking "the best quality". He doesn't need "cheering up".

Please don't misrepresent - it stifles meaningful debate.
The Apple adapter gives the best sound and for sure better than any inbuilt 3,5mm jack!! Read below the tests of pros, so that you may start learning something about audio, apart from commenting without knowing anything about the matter:

“This is the truth as measured by a reliable electrical engineer that knows his business (unlike many people out there mumbling inaccuracies)”:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-is-the-sound-quality-of-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch.627111/page-20

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
If they keep something similar with updated internal sand screen with the headphone jack, I will buy it. Played around with the SE at an Applecstore yesterday and really enjoyed it. Will hold out until at least this time next year though -if not longer- depending on how this 7+ holds up.

Tozovac

macrumors 65832
Jun 12, 2014
SE 2 so far away... Was hoping to see something out by now. If the base SE 2 comes in at $450-500 why bother and instead I'd just pick up a refurbished 6s or 7 from Apple at that point.

Tozovac

macrumors 65832
Jun 12, 2014
I may just buy a current one rather than wait...

Anyone else find it funny that the marketplace here at Macrumors has virtually zero SE's for sale, compared to 7's and 8's and such? Sure, it may be that fewer bought SE's compared to the others, but I'd like to think most SE owners are pretty darn happy with their phones still and won't sell them. I tried a 6s for 2 weeks and hated it. Too big, too slippery, and that design flaw of repositioning the on/off button. Went back to my 5s for now and the seller gladly took back the 6s for some other anxious sucker, I mean, anxious buyer.

Reactions: cecil444

turbineseaplane

macrumors 601
Mar 19, 2008
I may just buy a current one rather than wait...

Anyone else find it funny that the marketplace here at Macrumors has virtually zero SE's for sale, compared to 7's and 8's and such? Sure, it may be that fewer bought SE's compared to the others, but I'd like to think most SE owners are pretty darn happy with their phones still and won't sell them. I tried a 6s for 2 weeks and hated it. Too big, too slippery, and that design flaw of repositioning the on/off button. Went back to my 5s for now and the seller gladly took back the 6s for some other anxious sucker, I mean, anxious buyer.
Us SE lovers are passionate fans of our phones.

We may be lesser in numbers, but we are absolute die-hards of this form factor and how functional and "perfect" it really is.

I really wish Apple would take note of that and find some way to continue servicing this niche.

Tozovac

macrumors 65832
Jun 12, 2014
Us SE lovers are passionate fans of our phones.

We may be lesser in numbers, but we are absolute die-hards of this form factor and how functional and "perfect" it really is.

I really wish Apple would take note of that and find some way to continue servicing this niche.
Yup.

I'm trying to don my forecasting hat (pull predictions out of butt hat) and decide if I should jump on a $349 SE now before Apple displaces it with a similar form factor but with a few unnecessary fashion touches that could be deal-breakers for me, such as moving the on/off button, removing a physical home button with touch ID, or messing with the headphone jack, Each of those would be a deal-breaker for me.

It seems Apple's misplaced focus on fashion and trendiness over intuitive function has corrupted them to force at least some "innovation" and unnecessary reinvention into every new release, and that scares me a bit as far as any SE 2.

If anyone here has any scoop on the likelihood of any of those disasters, I'd sure hope they'd speak up here. I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
SE 2 so far away... Was hoping to see something out by now. If the base SE 2 comes in at $450-500 why bother and instead I'd just pick up a refurbished 6s or 7 from Apple at that point.
I know most of us here are not buying the SE because of the price. We want it for the form factor, and the price is just an added bonus. I would pay the X price for an SE style X. I just want that form factor.